Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should GM be bailed out, yes or no?
yes, bail them out 44 22.22%
no, do not bail them out 154 77.78%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:05 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,435 times

Advertisements

CHECK C-SPAN.....See the bailaout hearings live. Right now!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:00 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Whoop there it is... careful Jim, some here will require direct facts on point to your comments as they don't believe this is the way it is or what happens within the union world !!!

And everyone wonders why US INDUSTRY (not just auto) has had the problems it has had for the last 30+ years. Corruption and fleecing will happen in every organized group dealing with money. History says so and everyone keeps ignoring it... like something is going to change while using the same foundation !

Yep, out Gov is a fine example. Will the agenda ever change ? Hell NO ! But fools will continue to think so...
Did you get to see any of the hearings today? Very intersting...very long also! Your Senator Tester did a good job asking tough questions.

I actually agree with some of your points; while I am in favor of unions in general I can see where the UAW did get it easier than others over the past few years. That and complacency from the managers at the Big Three made for a disaster. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

well I'm through beatin' this dead horse now...

Last edited by roncorey1; 11-18-2008 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-19-2008, 03:59 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
You can't be serious! How could I resent blue collar workers when I was one for most of my working life? You either never worked in a union job and are just stirring the pot (most likely) or support them no matter what they do.........

they need to get back to their original goals from way back when.

No doubt there are abuses in unions, as in other organizations, you know, such as corporations. But that's no reason to be anti-union; a good reason to be involved in your union and work for honesty and reform, yes.

I agree wholeheartedly with your final statement.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:38 AM

327 posts, read 968,611 times
[quote=Stephan_K;6208933]Whoop there it is... careful Jim, some here will require direct facts on point to your comments as they don't believe this is the way it is or what happens within the union world !!!

Stephen_K - You just don't get it! In regard to my postings to you, I am sorry that you were unable to comprehend my intent in questioning your remarks. You make many valid points, but your prejudices cloud your ability to articulate your arguments with logic and credibility. Well, as other poster stated, this thread is truly a dead horse!

Old 11-19-2008, 09:44 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Did you get to see any of the hearings today? Very intersting...very long also! Your Senator Tester did a good job asking tough questions.

I actually agree with some of your points; while I am in favor of unions in general I can see where the UAW did get it easier than others over the past few years. That and complacency from the managers at the Big Three made for a disaster. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

well I'm through beatin' this dead horse now...
Ya, eventually watched the whole thing... I recorded it so I wouldn't miss any of it .

Interesting testimony from everyone.

Almost all on the panel cut up the UAW pretty bad, Corker from TN obliterated them. UAW pres Mr Fingerwhateverhisnameis's head was spinning. He reminded me of the teacher from Charlie Brown, Wua wua wua wuaaa wua. Corker really exposed the huge expense UAW is on the industry and Mr Fingerwhateverhisnameis had no relevant answers. He kept mantioning billion consession this and billion savings that... At the end of the day the pannel sees them as being miles behind the labor model of Toyota... like they seem to be some kind of benchmark.

I was surprised to see that F, GM or DAI never said one derogatory word about the UAW. I think that was a political ploy on their part. The new dems and Obamas plans coming up and all...

I loved when Tester asked which of them were willing to be compensated with a $1 until becoming profitable... the stuttering was classic ! Except Nardelli, he was waving everyone down yelling "I'm game" just give me some money ! He didn't seem too desperate .

General consensus of the panel and the economist was that the UAW was going to be the demise of the Auto Industry. It's like they were making a point to the UAW throughout the whole hearing. Get in line with the rest of the industry or go away !

And I know I heard it, Senator Stabenow said at the beginning that Toyota just approached the Brit Gov for a $56 Billion loan in this time of crisis ????? I guess Toyota isn't doing as well as everyone thinks. I can't find anything on that but hey, this is her testimony under oath...

Old 11-19-2008, 09:48 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
They say, "we don't want a hand out, we just want a hand." Let them reorganize and fix it themselves.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:17 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,124 times
New to this thread but have enjoyed the union-nonunion opinions. Let me add abit to it. My dad was non-union and retired at 63 from management, my brother, union, retired at 55 both from one of the big 3. Dad got his paid vacations, brother got paid vacations, sick days, and comp days. Both had impressive attendence records, dad HAD to take his vacations, brother accumalated his. Dad had an auto accident and laid up for 2 weeks with medical pay from insurance. My brother had a heart attack and laid out 2 YEARS with full pay, medical pay and disability pay. He made twice his regular pay while out and had all medical bills paid 100%. When brother went back to work for a yr he still had a yrs paid vacation left and guess what he took it and then retired 2 days AFTER his paid yr off. WHO cost the company the most? Oh and by the way brother retired with millions in the bank, dad well no.

Old 11-19-2008, 11:05 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan_K View Post
Wake up people... The $25 Billion that is already allocated to the auto industry IS FOR retooling and advancing to future products. The Gov isn't giving them cash to do with what they want. They just need the already allocated funds immediately, not a few months from now.

By receiving it now it will free up cash they are currently using for retooling. Last I saw on CNBC yesterday, it was reported that Obama is planning on doubling funds to $50 billion with the additional $25 billion to be used for pensions to free up even more cash for them to advance themselves which is what they WANTS to do and are trying to do.

Everyone will sit and criticize US auto for not building what people want, I beg to differ as the big SUV's were EXACTLY what everyone wanted for the last 10 years. And as soon as gas went through the roof, all of the sudden nobody wanted those anymore and started screaming about it. What, does everyone think US auto should be able to pull a completely different model vehicle out of their butts in the drop of a hat ? What, did everyone expect the Auto industry to have a crystal ball ? Why not right, it's obvious the rest of the world has one... I guess this GLOBAL crisis is just an illusion !

Be realistic, US auto can't fail ! It effects too many other industries WORLDWIDE. If it does The Great Depression will look like a small pullback in comparison to what will come from it !
Great post! Thanks for bringing the 25 billion up that was allocated by the Department of Energy for the retooling and redesign of energy efficient cars...This could be used but the government is not allowing the car companies to use the money differently...

Old 11-19-2008, 11:10 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,953,484 times
Congress is much of the problem (just like with the mortgages) so there is no easy out...

"Making Detroit a subsidiary of the Sierra Club'

The Environmental Motor Company - WSJ.com

Old 11-19-2008, 12:44 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
Oh man, Auto Bailout: Auto CEOs Flew Private Jets To Washington To Ask For Your Tax Money (http://consumerist.com/5093070/auto-ceos-flew-private-jets-to-washington-to-ask-for-your-tax-money - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics