Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: should GM be bailed out, yes or no?
yes, bail them out 44 22.22%
no, do not bail them out 154 77.78%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times

Advertisements

Forget bailing out just the big three auto companies.

What we need to do is unite and form one big industrial union and set wage and benefit conditions all over the country. Then establish tariffs to level the playing field with foreign slave labor and poor environmental practices. Then management could figure out how to run an efficient and competitive business with well trained and paid workers that could afford to buy the products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 09:05 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Stephen - Can you back up with facts your statement that union workers have a "we're special" attitude? Can you back up with facts that union workers do not actually work an 8 hour day? Remember, Stephen, I'm asking for facts not heresay. If you can reply with facts, please do so. I am not interested in your personal comments. Be sure to quote your sources, and they must be from credible sources.
All you have to do is stop in a UAW office and ask to see the current labor contract. Read it... compare that to the rest of the world then you tell me how special they think they are... or aren't.

Is that enough fact for you ? The fleecing has no bounds... or common sense.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 AM

1,436 posts, read 3,302,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
God forbid that people who actually work for a living and contribute to the economy get decent benefits!!!
I work for a living, contribute to the economy and pay for my own benefits, you seem to have a problem with that, I don't ? I guess everything if just fine as long as someone else is paying for your benefits right ? What makes you think YOU deserve that and Jane Doe who waits on your a$$, and is on her feet all day down at the corner restaurant doesn't ? Why, because your an auto worker... get over it already.

[/quote]Have you ever worked in manufacturing before??[/quote]

I created and ran my own manufacturing business. I have seen ALL sides of labor and management personally AND I grew up in a family of Steel and Auto union workers. I was raised in the middle of it all and experienced and listened to ALL the bullsh*t.

[/quote]Have you been in a union environment before??[/quote]

Physically taken a job at a factory... HELL NO. When the opportunity presented itself, I passed. Wanted no part of that.

[/quote]Have you ever worked night shift or 12 hour shifts before?[/quote]

Being in business I have worked the night shift quite regularly along with a day shift to follow. And your point is...

[/quote]I think most UAW workers deserve every penny they get!! I can only DREAM about having a strong union represent me in the Dirty South![/quote]

Its simple... Move north and you can have your wish if there's any jobs left by the time you get there. Hummm, wonder why...

[/quote]One day those lame anti-union folks at the Toyota, Hyundai/Kia, and Nissan plants in Kentucky, Alabama, and Tennessee will wake up and realize how their Japanese masters have suckered them into feeling content with pay and benefits that you can get workin' at Sears or Sam's Club!!!![/quote]

AGAIN... what makes you think YOU deserve more than any of them ??? People at Sam's Club work a whole hell of a lot more and harder than any union auto worker ever to come out of my family !!! (I'm not saying all auto jobs are like this ether...)

Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,628 times
Default No more bailouts

No more bailouts. What has happened to working hard for yourself and family. Failure teaches you to change, and succeed. The Big Three needs to fail, reorganize and learn to succeed. It will be best for the country.
When I bought my home I knew what I could afford, I did not sign up for a variable rate with no income, and no bank account on a home I could not afford.
Grow up people.
If and when congress gives away more money, I will vote them out.
I have been driving a car for 8 years now that gets 45+ mpg.
Why can't we build this kind of car here? The end of cheap oil is coming people. Get used to it. If the boys at GM haven't heard, someone please tell them.
Just my two cents.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:27 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Forget bailing out just the big three auto companies.

What we need to do is unite and form one big industrial union and set wage and benefit conditions all over the country. Then establish tariffs to level the playing field with foreign slave labor and poor environmental practices. Then management could figure out how to run an efficient and competitive business with well trained and paid workers that could afford to buy the products.
I agree with all your points except one: I think a variety of unions and even some competiton between them keeps the movement vibrant and less likely to be vulnerable to criminal activity. But it is very refreshing to see some union support on this forum. I feel that the demographics of most on here have skewed the support towards the market and corporations.

I'm sure you've already been here:
www.aflcio.org - America's Union Movement*

Old 11-17-2008, 02:46 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,758,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
I feel that the demographics of most on here have skewed the support towards the market and corporations.

The only sensible reason to be anti-union is if your name is over the door, otherwise you're just another employee. But many workers are servile and enjoy pointing at the boss and thinking "I'm with him". This seems especially true of white-collar employees, many of whom often act the "house slave" and bitterly resent unionized blue-collar workers making a good living.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,630 times
HEY Stephan_K:

I'm not a UAW worker (but I think unions are needed now more than ever)! Actually I'm recently layed off and my severance ran out weeks ago. I have NO insurance right now and am drawing unemployment. So maybe the waitress waiting on my a$$ at the corner restaraunt has more in common with me than you, huh???

Old 11-17-2008, 03:05 PM

1,960 posts, read 4,664,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The only sensible reason to be anti-union is if your name is over the door, otherwise you're just another employee. But many workers are servile and enjoy pointing at the boss and thinking "I'm with him". This seems especially true of white-collar employees, many of whom often act the "house slave" and bitterly resent unionized blue-collar workers making a good living.
BINGO!!! We have a winner. This is exactly the source of any white collar workers hostility towards unions. It is the epitomy of "if I can think of myself as the boss, I can get to be the boss". Companies aren't doing anybody favors, bad economy or not.

The bootstrap idea that everybody should hold with bravado the notion of paying for benefits yourselves falls flat on its face when you consider that the wages do not support the high private cost for said benefits. Everybody is throwing stones at the UAW but nobody here has addressed a comparative working condition/compensation at the fabulous foreign non-union auto makers everybody seems to be cheerleading for. Their model may be working better TODAY, but are employees making headway? Hell no, we're just lowering the collective bar voluntarily and effectively shipping Mexico here and guess what, no health care for you either. Which begs the question, what team are you guys on anyways? What collective benefit do we yield by resetting the auto industry compensation down to McDonalds wages? Like I've said before, a million taco bell jobs may count as "employment" but they sure as heck don't really count if you're serious about affording life in America, with all the inflation we're mortgaged against.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:16 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
nobody resents workers making a "good living" but taxpayers resent having to subsidize their "good living". maybe they need to restructure so they can afford to do it on their own.

Last edited by floridasandy; 11-17-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-17-2008, 05:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Actually there's more than one sensable reason to be anti-union, the other is realizing that unions exist so that the incompetent and lazy remain employed and get promoted. Unfortunately that's exactly what unions have sunk to not to mention a piggy bank for the union reps and bosses. By the way, this is from someone who was in 2 different unions (grave diggers and teamsters) and seen three other unions at work (or not depending on the case).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics