Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:49 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
A couple of folks here in GA recently won a small sum in the lottery ($500K) and immediately both parties talked about their future home ownership. One was going to pay off their mortage with little $ leftover, the other was to use their winnings on a cash purchase of a home (again, no $ for the bank). Just shook my head on both accounts.
Assuming $500K was after taxes, I would do the following with that money:

Pay cash for nice house in our neighborhood: $275k
Fund 12-month emergency fund: $60k
Fund HSA with three years of max-out-of pocket medical expenses: $30k
Pay off car, student and personal loans: $67k
Divide the rest evenly ($17k each) between furnishing new house, child's education fund, retirement fund and vacation fund.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 12:36 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufcrules1 View Post
All I have left is this mortgage which will take me about 7-10 years.
Ouch. My whole mortgage only took five years (house was 2X annual income with 10% down). Compared to the rest of my peers who took out 30 year notes, I have an extra 25 years to put that mortgage money into my pocket instead of the bank.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernExposure View Post
A couple of folks here in GA recently won a small sum in the lottery ($500K) and immediately both parties talked about their future home ownership. One was going to pay off their mortage with little $ leftover, the other was to use their winnings on a cash purchase of a home (again, no $ for the bank). Just shook my head on both accounts.

Right, but the difference between them and I? I have a lot of money in the bank.

Last edited by ufcrules1; 01-03-2010 at 07:05 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 07:02 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,632,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlinggirl View Post
Ouch. My whole mortgage only took five years (house was 2X annual income with 10% down). Compared to the rest of my peers who took out 30 year notes, I have an extra 25 years to put that mortgage money into my pocket instead of the bank.

Yes, unless you have a very high salary.. I live in a more expensive house than you in a very sought after area. (Few Dallas Cowboys live here) 7-10 years to pay off this house is very fast considering most others have 30 year mortgages with no intention to pay them off early.

Could I have bought a house that was half as much? Sure, but it wouldn't be where I want to live nor be as sought after. With that said, its very much within our means considering we can afford the mortgage and all bills on my wifes salary alone. She makes a lot less than me too.

All of that said, I applaud what you have done and wish millions more would live the same way you and I do.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Am I reading correctly? Winning $500K is "a small sum?"
Boy, I must be out of the loop.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:02 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,908,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Boose, meanwhile, struggles with the loss of professional stature. "I've been used to being in firms that make and spend a lot of money and meeting with very senior people. Now, I'm looking at the guy in Home Depot, thinking how lucky he is to have a job."

I'm sorry...but he's lying. Pretty smug of you there, Boose Man.

"They're dead set on hiring people with health care experience," says Ryan, of New Orleans.

Now, that's a nugget you can take. Before I came back out here to Iraq, I had a job interview with Verizon. They called me back and said I was second choice... that they needed someone with Wireless Experience, who could do the job tomorrow, and not someone who would take a week or two to "ramp up."

I've been working in telecom..installs, Network operations centers, project manager...lead tech, senior network engineer, blah, blah since 1991....(except for when I was out of work and when I worked for Caterpillar) and this was a NOC job that paid 18 bucks an hour. Was close to home, tho. It was monkey work. You sit in a desk, click a GUI and do remote loopback testing. Then you call a remote tech who goes out and switches out whatever piece of equipment that died. I got a call. I was second choice. SO, I made a few calls and emails, and I'm back out in IRaq, where you make a little more than 18 bucks an hour.

Click link below for fresh, delicious irony.
Verizon Continues Layoffs - Over 16,000 employees to be cut in two years... - dslreports.com
the economy is pretty bad when a skilled working person has to go to iraq to get a job. it is also bad when US money is diverted to iraq so you can get a job in iraq, instead of here.

i see that the post office is going to have their first layoffs ever (although locally they are going to try to fight the 600 person layoff/shutdown in swedesboro). all those people who think that they are going to be "immune" from the selling out of jobs are going to be in for a surprise at some point. with more layoffs, revenue collections will be down and layoffs are a direct result of insufficient revenue.

what goes around comes around.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM

55 posts, read 92,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
am i reading correctly? Winning $500k is "a small sum?" boy, i must be out of the loop.
:d

Old 01-07-2010, 08:00 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
it doesn't bother me a bit.

I do feel sorry for some people, and I can rationalize high salaries from industries that I think deserve it - tech for example. But the huge salaries in New York City in these fields like banking, insurance and advertising make my life more difficult, as a working American.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:56 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post

I work for a Wall Street firm and it is no picnic. Most of the people working those so-called glamorous Wall Street jobs are miserable and highly stressed.
Good.
I hope they all stroke out or have heart attacks.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:05 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
High-income earners are not all that much different from everybody else
You are right. Once they are kicked in the jewels, you realize, they aren't much different then everyone else.

BTW, loving the good posts. Reputation for all, minus the high horse supporters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics