Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,540,771 times

Advertisements

I have followed Tucker Hart Adams' predictions for going on three decades now. I have attended numerous functions over the years where she has been a speaker, and I have talked with her personally on several occasions. As a lifelong studier of economics myself, I have great respect for her intellect as an economist. All of that said, she--like many economists--has "called it wrong" nearly as many times as she has gotten it right. It is the nature of the beast. I read some of her latest predictions, and I disagree with much of them as being far too optimistic. Since she works primarily for the financial industry, I'm sure she is also under immense pressure to error on the side of optimism in her public pronouncements. Quite frankly, I don't think the tea leaves of most economists are very good at predicting what lies ahead in our current economic environment. Most economists make predictions based on what an economic/valuation friend of mine (who is from Tennessee) calls the "Tennessee Redneck Test." Simply stated, the method of prediction is "If you want to predict what a Tennesse Redneck is going to do this Saturday night, you look at what he did last Saturday night." That method of predicting future events based on past economic trends works OK most of the time--until a major "sea change" event occurs that completely alters historical thinking. Economically, I believe we are at one of those moments--which only come once or twice in century--that tends to reorder the universe. People--even trained economists--wish fervently that this isn't so, because it means the "world" as they know it has ceased to exist. I believe, though, that is the point we have reached--and little will be same as it has been from now forward. The axis shifted.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,043,614 times
Well jazz, I think you hit the nail on the head as to why the financial prophets are wrong so often, and why it is important for our own financial well being to take everything they say with a grain of salt. First and foremost....they are salespeople in disguise ( very thinly disguised IMO ). They are always pushing something either for themselves directly or for their employer. They are masters at using fear to drive people into making an impulsive decision to buy their overpriced financial newsletter crap on the spot.

As for kissing the-world-as-we-know-it goodbye, that still waits to be seen. Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:15 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,735,563 times
Everything goes in cycles. I've been alive for three decades now and in that time, Colorado has peaked and crashed several times.

We have some fundamental changes coming regarding credit, some forced some not, and it's going to be hard times for some. But it's necessary to purge ourselves of Debt=Income.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 PM

wanneroo wrote:
Everything goes in cycles. I've been alive for three decades now and in that time, Colorado has peaked and crashed several times.

Allow me to add to your very accurrate assessment. I've lived in parts of 6 decades now and in that time, every state I've ever lived in has peaked and crashed several times. Colorado has no monopply on cyclical behaviour.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:10 PM

16,427 posts, read 22,260,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
I'm selling 10 acres of my Colorado oceanfront property at a price you can't afford to pass up. You owe it to yourself and your family to do whatever it takes to get er done. This is a once in every ten lifetimes opportunity.
OOOH! Me! Me! Is it Pacific side or Atlantic side?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:46 PM

Bideshi wrote:
Is it Pacific side or Atlantic side?
I'm not at liberty to divulge that information until AFTER I've received a non refundable earnest money deposit of $5000.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:41 PM

11,857 posts, read 34,544,954 times
Default more good news; even if it comes from Berkeley CA

The future for home prices, an article from The Denver Post, reports that Denver and Colorado Springs are among the metro areas expected to do well in the long run, according to Kenneth Rosen, chairman of the Fisher Center for Real Estate at the University of California, Berkeley. He noted that cities with the most promise offer the following: "urban vitality" and "easy access to outdoor activities" along with affordable housing and promising job-growth opportunities from modern industries, such as biotechnology.
The future for home prices - The Denver Post

Old 12-09-2008, 03:06 PM

26,318 posts, read 49,272,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I'd read some articles where she was referenced as saying things were all good for CO...but this goes back a ways. Haven't seen any recent mention of her in local media...thanks for the links...I stand corrected!

For some reason I was thinking that she'd recently painted a rosy picture...maybe I was confusing her name with that guy who represents the NAR (?)
I suspect its the NAR dude who speaks to a rosy scenario. Dr. Adams website is at: The Adams Group - Colorado Economy
Click on the Newsletter button for a once-over on the COLO economy; nice to have all these business segments in one spot. She has outperformed most other economists, and if Warren Buffett listens to her, I sure will too.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:07 PM

26,318 posts, read 49,272,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
that guy who represents the NAR (?) = Lawrence Yun

If you believe anything that comes out of his mouth you are the kind of person I'm looking for. Have I got a deal for you! I'm selling 10 acres of my Colorado oceanfront property at a price you can't afford to pass up. You owe it to yourself and your family to do whatever it takes to get er done. This is a once in every ten lifetimes opportunity.
Y'all gotta a pier and a bote with a motor at that house? If so, send pitcher of pier and bote.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM

2,888 posts, read 7,157,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Y'all gotta a pier and a bote with a motor at that house? If so, send pitcher of pier and bote.
You already drank that pitcher of pier? Economy got to ya too much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics