Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:38 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

I have been TOLD that my student will be given grades based on what I THINK he knows, NOT on actual work samples.

Now I know this is CRAZY, but how can I do this and not completely SKEW the reality that the student has NOT done enough work to even warrant a PASSING grade...

It's a right to be poor state, aka right to work and unions are not a thought. The entire system is still on the Good Ole Boys network where old family names rule, and the law is inconsequential.
The student is NOT from an influential family, but the administration is...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 10:09 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I have been TOLD that my student will be given grades based on what I THINK he knows, NOT on actual work samples..
Sounds fishy ...

If the question is *What does he know*,
then should it not be what YOU think he knows ?

If he does not produce the right kind of output that YOU think he should put out, then what is really the question here ??

Are you really the teacher here ?
Or are you the student ?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:11 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times
That's absurd. So the students have no voice of their own, not even through their work? This may just be me...but it seems like there are a lot of socioeconomic undertones here.

If I were being asked to do this, I would tell the administration that I can only give my best guess of what each student knows based on their work. Then I would grade their work and say my best guess of how much they know is based on that.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:16 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I would tell the administration that I can only give my best guess of what each student knows based on their work.

Then I would grade their work and say my best guess of how much they know is based on that.

It sounds like administration is already involved and very ineffective. Does this student have a learning disability or other condition that would warrant you grading for what you think they know instead of what they prove they know? Do you have anything like this in writing so that you can build a case and take it to the state of federal department of education? It would probably mean that you would have to get a job elsewhere but would anyone be happy teaching in a situation like that?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM

This student is very capable. He chooses not to do any assignments. Saying they are stupid and he knows this material.

He is oppositional defiant. And everytime he has a tantrum, he gets out of having to do his assignments. Instead he is offered pop tarts and other food items, a quiet place to lay down before he goes to his next class..I am told to base the grade on what I believe he is able to do if he chose to do it.

If you read my other posts, you know I am a SpEd teacher with over 20 years experience. I have run a SpEd department in the past.

Thus is not a joke. If I think the student is able to complete the given assignment, despite his refusal or running from the room, I am to issue a grade reflective of what I believe his ability is. My question is why would I give him an academic task if I knew he could do it? Wouldn't or shouldn't I be giving him work that he is unfamilar with and has to "learn?"

I am waiting for written directives and a new job asap...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 09-30-2010 at 10:42 AM..

Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM

I hope you do get a new assignment because it is obvious that you really do care and could be more effective working for an administration that cares just as much or more than you do.

It isn't ethical what they are doing...but yet another example of how our education system is failing kids. I would give him failing grades and just argue that he is not capable of that work. If he doesn't complete it, there is no way to prove that he does know the subject matter.

Another thought though...Is he still required to complete tests or is he given a pass in those too? If he does well on the tests, I guess I could see where not doing homework would make sense and prove to me the he is bored with the subject matter and already has comprehension of it and needs to be challenged.

You are definitely in a tough spot.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:05 PM

I believe the admin is trying to make a point--that severe behavior students will be successful in their school. If the student is allowed to choose non academic classes he does extremely well. Whether that be recess, lunch or other activities without some type of evaluation. The admin has stated the academic is not important, rather having the student remain in the class is priority. Even after the student told several student he was going to kill them and described how it would be done. He told one student he does "what ever the F%$#@ I want"

I guess this is fine, but then all the other students get to wondering why they cannot do the same and why they get referrals to the office for insubordination / defiance while the other student gets to play games on the computer during class...

Test are ripped up and shredded and don't even get to set on the student's desk before they are in his hands being thronw across the floor. It has been told to me that perhaps I need not worry about such things.

THIS is not why I teach or how I ever taught--even when I had students with below 60 FSIQ. I have also had REASONABLE and ATTAINABLE goals foe every student, no matter what the challenges..Any great schools in NC that are lo0oking for a SpEd teacher?

Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 PM

Now that you explain all of that, it really doesn't make sense how they can expect you to fulfill their clearly unethical wishes for this student. Passing him isn't going to help him, it is going to create yet another unproductive person in the world that expects everything with the smallest amount of effort. How the administration believes this to be a good thing is beyond me. I don't know anything about NC schools, but it is very disappointing that they are okay with producing failures.

I think you are justified at failing him and saying that you are not able to determine his capabilities being that he will not do any of the assignments or take any of the tests. Sure, a kid can function with sports but at some point, everyone has to get a real job and get a real degree. I am pretty sure no college would let him continue with this charade. Ultimately, if you don't put your foot down and step over the administration on this, you will be the one with the bad reputation for sending kids to the next level when they are not qualified to be there. I would fight if I was in your shoes. I am sure next year will produce more options for a lot of great teachers. Don't let them turn you into a bad one.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:20 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
So then just tell them you think the best that the student can do is a D. Or an F - part of what you think the student can do, includes what directions you think the student can follow. He has already failed that completely by not following any of the directions. That IS the best he can do. If he could do better, he would have.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
Now that you explain all of that, it really doesn't make sense how they can expect you to fulfill their clearly unethical wishes for this student. Passing him isn't going to help him, it is going to create yet another unproductive person in the world that expects everything with the smallest amount of effort. How the administration believes this to be a good thing is beyond me. I don't know anything about NC schools, but it is very disappointing that they are okay with producing failures.

I think you are justified at failing him and saying that you are not able to determine his capabilities being that he will not do any of the assignments or take any of the tests. Sure, a kid can function with sports but at some point, everyone has to get a real job and get a real degree. I am pretty sure no college would let him continue with this charade. Ultimately, if you don't put your foot down and step over the administration on this, you will be the one with the bad reputation for sending kids to the next level when they are not qualified to be there. I would fight if I was in your shoes. I am sure next year will produce more options for a lot of great teachers. Don't let them turn you into a bad one.

And it isn't even the kid's fault. The system is teaching him it is acceptable to fail and still move on. I am just so saddened the district is willing to let this happen to a kid who is really quite capable and can be so successful. He really is one that is way too smart for his own understanding.

After 20 years going bad is not an option, unles you are looking from an admin POV. I really need to go into college to teach or find a parental advocacy group and provide parents with support. Time to brush up on IDEA and Wright's Law....

Anyone wanna start one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education