Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 05:33 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
I would let the school know that I would be letting my son know that he gets a 3 day break from school for telling me the truth. He is in no trouble at home and we will be viewing the time off as a reward of his honesty. I would go ahead and pick up all of him missed work so he will be caught up when he goes back to school.
Usually when a child is suspended they are not allowed to make up the work they miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 07:20 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,491 times
WOW, never heard of a child NOT being able to make up there work with in 5 days.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:00 PM

874 posts, read 2,893,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_22 View Post
I understand that rules are rules, but why can't the rules be written in such a way to give school authorities discretion in their enforcement? This is how it works within the context of our judicial system. As long as he or she works within sentencing guidelines, a judge has wide latitude in imposing a sentence, taking into account the accused's prior record, remorse for the crime, and feelings of the victim. So yes, I think a good student who has never been in trouble who gives her friend a Midol should be treated very differently than the perpetual trouble maker who sells Vicodin to his buddies. In the case of the OP, recall that she is dealing with a parochial school - as much a private organization as the Dallas Cowboys, and certainly free to set its own rules.

Personally, if my kid had a headache and her friend gave her an aspirin at school I would tell the friend "thank you" and invite her to dinner.
If a district has a zero tolerance policy, an administrator's hands may be tied. If they don't, then the admin should be able to use discretion in situations like this.

One concern with a student giving another student OTC meds like aspirin or Tylenol is that the recipient might have allergies or potential med interactions (of which they themselves might be unaware - even a student in middle school might be taking daily meds and not know all of the possible ways they may react with OTC meds). If they give something like Excedrin and the kid has already had other caffeine or is taking prescription medication that gives them an "up" in some way, the student could potentially have an adverse reaction. It's a lot of "could be" situations, but they can still happen and some schools do honestly have these policies in place to prevent those types of situations.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:04 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,294,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ123 View Post
WOW, never heard of a child NOT being able to make up there work with in 5 days.
From being SUSPENDED??

Old 11-02-2010, 05:07 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
His brother is bring home his work. His resource teacher will help him also to make up any work he misses.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:07 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times
This thread needs to be closed since it continues under a new thread of "Suspension Stands".

Old 11-02-2010, 01:38 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,491 times
Yes, work can be made up with suspension. Here is a part of our student handbook.

• In-School Suspension: Legally separated from regular classes for one (1) period for up to five (5) days. The classroom rules for in-school suspension are posted and credit will be given for class work completed. In-school suspension is counted as a regular day of attendance.
• Out-of-School Suspension: Legally separated from regular classroom activities and removed from the school for one to ten days. It is the student’s responsibility to request and make-up all assigned work. Students will be given one day to complete work for each day of suspension. If a student meets these requirements, full credit for make-up work will be given.
• Alternative to Suspension: Participation in the ATS program, which is housed at BHSS, will be an option for students whenever possible as opposed to sending them home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education