Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is really at fault for the terrible Inner City Schools in America?
The poor quality teachers 1 2.94%
Students who do not care and have no interest in learning 3 8.82%
The Parents who do not get involved in the school or the kids education 27 79.41%
The Administrators who do not know how to run a school 3 8.82%
The Mass Media for promoting Gangster Rap 0 0%
The Physical Condition of the Schools 0 0%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,418 times

Advertisements

The media loves to blame the teachers and administrators when a school has poor scores. As a teacher myself, I put most of the blame on the students and parents. Please respond to my poll to see who is the most at fault for the terrible schools in American inner Cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 11:07 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,186,782 times
It will remain a fact that even in the best of schools that sometimes there will be a teacher that simply cannot get the point across. In some areas, this does not matter. But, if it's something like Math or Reading and the problem is with poor teaching rather than the child's ability, then it is the PARENT'S responsibility to step in and fill the gap until the next teacher comes along.

But we are looking at a generation that has parents that weren't taught well. They don't really understand the importance of learning. Therefore, they are unable, or they just don't care about help for their kids.

I don't know what the solution is. I am certain that it MUST be started in the very earliest grades. No child should ever reach a high grade without being able to handle the same reading or math level as the rest of his/her class.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:14 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
I put the blame on The TV. Parents, if you want your children to become better students, throw that TV out. It is the most destructive influence on young people.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:33 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
a combination of options 2, 3, and 4.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:51 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
I think placing blame in one area is far too simplistic. Not sure of all the answers, but when the culture they live in doesn't value education, I am not sure of all the answers to get them to start.

There is also the issue of dispair and 14 year olds telling you they don't think they will live to be 17, so what does it matter anyway.

Working in the inner-city is challenging but I loved it.

Dawn

Old 08-06-2007, 06:19 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
No one is at fault for failing inner city school. It is a problem across the board. It is not a matter of identifying who failed but enabling the willing to be successful.
Failure is a result of the absence of factors that make kids and schools successful. Poor parenting by people who neither had models or the skills to be good parents should not be a surprise. Nor should ill mannered children who are modeling ill mannered people who they live with. I don't use the word parent because it suggests parenting. Teaching in the inner city is often relegated to the burned out and the over whelmed. It is not something that is easy to fix and no one should be blamed. Blame only makes the willing leave and teach in the suburbs if they are good enough.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:02 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
In our society being smart is not considered to be cool.
The heros to whom kids look up are those from the sports or entertainment industry. Neither field puts much emphasis on education.
Take a look around you to see what the parents are like. What sort of role models are parents? What would motivate a child who grows up in a home where education is not valued? At least parents could teach their kids to be attentive, put effort into school work, and take an active interest in their child's progress.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:24 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Default Parents and role models Where are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
In our society being smart is not considered to be cool.
The heros to whom kids look up are those from the sports or entertainment industry. Neither field puts much emphasis on education.
Take a look around you to see what the parents are like. What sort of role models are parents? What would motivate a child who grows up in a home where education is not valued? At least parents could teach their kids to be attentive, put effort into school work, and take an active interest in their child's progress.
Your post is short but so very true The inner cities are not the only locations for failure in schools. Even in many rural areas the lack of attention by the students and the lack of involvement on the part of the parents is and has been the contributing factor to the uneducated being graduated without the least bit of care nor concern by the Administrators and/or teachers.

As a librarian at one time I was amazed at the lack of understanding that many students had when they would come in and request a book that had been designated by their teacher for extra reading credits. Made little difference of the age of the student, Grade school, junior high or senior high.

I don't like to play the 'blame game', however, I firmly believe that the parents are, for the most part, responsible for the current situation in the problems of inner city schools and some rural schools.

Don't really want to dwell on my educational experiences as a youngster, however, I do believe that I was fortunate in having some of the most dedicated and caring teachers. And almost all of the parents of my classmates were involved with helping to make our school what it was.

Now my former grade school is pretty much run down and the neighborhood has taken on the appearance of having been bombed. Where, without a caring parent, is the incentive for these young inner city students to even attempt to succeed and be proud of their achievements? Gotta be an answer somewhere.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
The media loves to blame the teachers and administrators when a school has poor scores. As a teacher myself, I put most of the blame on the students and parents. Please respond to my poll to see who is the most at fault for the terrible schools in American inner Cities.
I say all of the options...

Old 08-07-2007, 12:57 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
I grew up in a poor area. From my experience it was a combo of parents and the school system. But ultimately it comes down to the parents. If you are not expected to live up to certian standards and behave a certian way, then there isn't much a school can do to change that. I firmly believe that parents who don't teach their kids personal responsibility are to blame for most of the problems that go on. Its everyone else's fault, Not my Baby!! The school, the police, the teachers, other students, were the real culprits, yada yada. Go to school, sit in class, shut your mouth, and do your work. You would think that was easy to do, but sadly its not. Most kids get too caught up in the ghetto lifestyle and stop caring by the time sixth grade rolls around.

On the other hand, if the school is run down and does not supply the proper learning tools, how can a child learn? When the school is not safe, properly staffed, and clean, you will not attract teachers who are great. The great teachers you do have will retire the first chance they get.

I am thankful everyday that my kids go to a great school. The parents are involved and that can have its own set of unique problems as I am learning, lol. Those who are on every single board, kids group, and committee imaginable look down on those of us who are only doing a few extra things, lol. The schools where we live now are clean (I am amazed at how clean these schools are!!!), have great scores, low levels of violence, and the drop out rate is very low. The amount of kids that go onto college is high and community support is amazing. Its the total opposite from my experience as a kid. I have been pleased with our chidren's teachers. They go the extra mile. My husband and I have made education the top priority for our kids. We know too well what life is like without a good education and opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education