Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 02:29 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times

Advertisements

Wow! I was at a school the other day, and felt like I was in a prison, an old, scary one. The school was all grey, and made of cement, it was old, and most of the furniture inside of the school was ancient. The equipment was old, it was a scary place! It was an elementary school, in the south, in a poor area. I literally could not believe it. Those people who fund education need to have a seminar for a week in this school, instead of planning conferences at the Hyatt in Disney.

I have worked in school districts around the country, due to a husband in federal government, we transferred every couple of years...and never saw anything this bad!

I also think it is interesting to compare schools in the same district, the wealthy side of town, compared with the poorer side of town..any one who says that the money is distributed evenly is crazy.

What does your school look like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Our high school opened the year we moved here, so my son was in the first class. It was modeled on Monticello. It's an absolutely beautiful building, with an incredible football stadium. Since it's been open for 5 years, it is now being held up as an example of wanton spending.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:17 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
That is true, my daughter went to a school in Las Vegas, that was extreme it was so fantastic.
http://library.nevada.edu/arch/aia/awa2007/b07022_02.jpg (broken link)

It makes me wonder about the goals of kids from wonderful schools, and the ones who go to the horrible schools.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
My school is very similar to the one you described.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post

Historic and beautiful.

We have twelve single classroom buildings, most dating to the 1890s. We are also lucky enough to be right on the beach in a national park. Not many schools in national parks.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:36 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
This is the high school I just graduated from. It was finished in 1931. The architect refused to compromise on the workmanship, so when he exceeded the bond amount, he sold his estate to pay for its completion. As a result, it has some amazing artisan details and is registered as a national historical landmark. Everything is very well-kept except the restrooms.

That said, I'm not sugar-coating anything when I say that the schools all across town are in equal condition, accounting for age of course.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:00 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
That is true, my daughter went to a school in Las Vegas, that was extreme it was so fantastic.
http://library.nevada.edu/arch/aia/awa2007/b07022_02.jpg (broken link)

It makes me wonder about the goals of kids from wonderful schools, and the ones who go to the horrible schools.
Here's the view from my classroom.

As far as goals--
1--rapper/entertainer
2--professional athlete
3--cosmetologist
4--small business owner: auto shop, construction, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Conditions of Schools-maple-street-my-view-lanier.jpg  

Old 06-14-2011, 08:18 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,680,497 times
Locally, it's a nice mix. I live in an area that is still growing quickly (not so much as before the recession), so there are quite a few recently built schools. They're very contemporary and not like the older schools, which have more character. I'm more of a contemporary person who likes things new, so I enjoy the lack of character, but I can also appreciate older buildings if they're well-maintained. I love older colleges and universities for that reason. There are inner city schools nearby that have been closed or consolidated...so they're around.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:56 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Quote:
Wow! I was at a school the other day, and felt like I was in a prison, an old, scary one. The school was all grey, and made of cement, it was old, and most of the furniture inside of the school was ancient. The equipment was old, it was a scary place! It was an elementary school, in the south, in a poor area. I literally could not believe it. Those people who fund education need to have a seminar for a week in this school, instead of planning conferences at the Hyatt in Disney.

I have worked in school districts around the country, due to a husband in federal government, we transferred every couple of years...and never saw anything this bad!

I also think it is interesting to compare schools in the same district, the wealthy side of town, compared with the poorer side of town..any one who says that the money is distributed evenly is crazy.

\

So the performance in most of these inner city schools is so poor because they don't have shiny-new buildings, is that the gist of your rant????

Face facts, some parents and students do not give a rats *ss about learning. All the new, fru-fru furniture and buildings are not going to change that one bit.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Whoa, I just looked up my old inner city high school. It has just been totally rebuilt. The building I taught in was built in 1977 and had some major design flaws. For example, they built it around a courtyard with no thought about the weather in Chicago, so they had to reroof the courtyard and we had constant leaks any time it rained. They had also not planned on the numbers of students, so it was built for 1500 students and we had 2300 students and 4 shifts when I taught there.

The new building looks fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education