Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:11 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

These are challenging times for secondary education. Cash-strapped school districts are cutting back; No Child Left Behind mandates test results; parents and students stress unabated. NEWSWEEK, which has been ranking the top public high schools in America for more than a decade, revamped its methodology this year in hopes of highlighting solutions.

America's Best High Schools - Newsweek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
These are challenging times for secondary education. Cash-strapped school districts are cutting back; No Child Left Behind mandates test results; parents and students stress unabated. NEWSWEEK, which has been ranking the top public high schools in America for more than a decade, revamped its methodology this year in hopes of highlighting solutions.

America's Best High Schools - Newsweek
Two of the four schools in my district are in the top 25 in the nation. Go us!!

Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
In general, I don't believe these lists are very accurate or very helpful. The criteria are heavily weighted toward things like ACT and SAT scores and the numbers of IB, AP, etc. offered. They also weighted the average scores on the IB and AP exams, but they may offer many and kids may not take the exams for lots of reasons.

At any rate, many of the schools that came in high on the list are magnet schools and thus have a selective enrollment.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:14 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
At least this year they looked at, and weighted more, things like graduation rates, college acceptances, etc. I agree though, the "top" schools on the list are not true public schools and are mostly selective prep schools.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Two of the four schools in my district are in the top 25 in the nation. Go us!!
WTG!!! The school I teach at made the list but nowhere near the top 25.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
WTG!!! The school I teach at made the list but nowhere near the top 25.
My school has never broken top 25 though we have gotten top 50 twice because our theme means there are few AP courses for our students to take. All of our seniors graduate with between 12 to 24 college credits due to accreditation agreements but none of the ranking systems count those. Oh well.

We do have the sixth highest publication rate per capita for any undergraduate course offering school in our state which is pretty nifty. Actually puts us ahead of a bunch of actual universities.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
My school has never broken top 25 though we have gotten top 50 twice because our theme means there are few AP courses for our students to take. All of our seniors graduate with between 12 to 24 college credits due to accreditation agreements but none of the ranking systems count those. Oh well.

We do have the sixth highest publication rate per capita for any undergraduate course offering school in our state which is pretty nifty. Actually puts us ahead of a bunch of actual universities.
Cool!

I'd love to teach some college level courses. I'm legal but our school is small so there are few students to take them. We do have AP classes offered on a rotating schecule and quite a few kids take those. Half of my classes were half empty during AP exam week.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Cool!

I'd love to teach some college level courses. I'm legal but our school is small so there are few students to take them. We do have AP classes offered on a rotating schecule and quite a few kids take those. Half of my classes were half empty during AP exam week.
How small? Our school only has 65 or so kids per grade. They get college course but there is only one elective for their whole high school career (besides language).

Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
How small? Our school only has 65 or so kids per grade. They get college course but there is only one elective for their whole high school career (besides language).
Wow. We're bigger than that but I can't imagine being able to fill a class that was offered for college credit. Although, I would love to take the top 5 students out of each of my chemistry classes and put them in one class. THAT would be one interesting class. I had a few kids this year who gave me a run for my money. Which is really cool.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Quote:
Wow. We're bigger than that but I can't imagine being able to fill a class that was offered for college credit. Although, I would love to take the top 5 students out of each of my chemistry classes and put them in one class. THAT would be one interesting class. I had a few kids this year who gave me a run for my money. Which is really cool.
We had 12 sections of AB Biology for the sophomores at our school this year (580 kids in that class so about 420 of those kids took AP Bio). There are about 2000 kids in our high school 9-12 and we have 30 AP class offerings and 15 or so college in the school classes (college classes taught by professors from the State University in the high school) plus the unlimited classes kids can take at the state university and some of the private colleges around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education