Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 04:55 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,527,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Yup.You are exactly right. They also can't charge for things like feild trips also. So guess what, they are going away. When my now 2nd grader was in kintergarten his class took 4 field trips and charged like $10/per trip, mostly to cover the bussing. My youngest is starting K this year at the same school and they are having 1 field trip.

Thanks ACLU!
This is so maddening Pretty soon because of budget cuts and the ACLU sueing our kids wont have pencils, paper etc...all because the school can't ask parents to supply it? And we as Americans wonder why our education system is going down the toilet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 04:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Can someone PLEASE post a link. (2nd request)

Old 09-01-2011, 05:22 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here's what the ACLU found:

ACLU Sues California Over Public School Fees for Students

Quote:
The illegal fees that we discovered include numerous mandatory fees related to core academic courses that fulfill high school graduation requirements — requiring students to purchase required text and workbooks for academic courses, charging lab fees for science classes, charging material fees for fine arts classes, and requiring students to purchase school-issued P.E. uniforms.

And this looks to be the outcome:

California students get new protections against public school fees

Quote:
Under the terms of the agreement, if auditors conclude that a school district has charged illegal fees, it would be required to reimburse parents or suffer a financial penalty.
Note the reference to "illegal fees".

Unless the OP has a source that gives different information, it doesn't look as though we're talking about field trips, cheerleader uniforms, pens & pencils, etc.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 09-01-2011 at 05:37 PM..

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

It only took a second or two to copy the words into google:

PBS: Coaches got cash, gifts from slush fund The Orange County Register

Old 09-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

This is an unfortunate situation but not, as far as I can tell, related to the ACLU lawsuit.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post

Not sure what your point is, that I should have googled it? It's up to the poster to support their posts. I suspected what Dark of the Moon posted.

Your link is about a uniform-buying scandal, which is a different matter.

Frankly, I got annoyed about all the lab fees, orchestra fees, "supplies" fees, etc I had to pay, especially when my kids were in high school. I did not care that I had to pay for them to do a sport, or even pay for part of the uniform, as long as they got to keep it.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:35 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Well what do you think is going to happen now? If the money that parents were paying is being taken out of the budget do you think that schools will just magically replace it? There is no appetite for tax increases anywhere in the country.

Athletic teams need funding beyond what school districts provide. IMO it is appropriate for parents and booster clubs to be the ones making up the difference. If the difference is not made up by someone the kids will suffer. I am glad that where I live parents and booster clubs are allowed to supplement the money received by school districts.
In my experience, no sports charged at all. The only one that did was cheerleading, but that's because it wasn't technically considered a sport. Plus, they kept their uniforms. The only fee I was ever charged in thirteen years of California schooling was a $5 request for our art class. However, if you honestly could not afford it, something could be worked out. Many students paid $10 or more in order for the poorer kids to be covered. It wasn't a big deal. My freshman year of high school I was on the softball team, and we got new uniforms. These uniforms had our last names, so we were going to keep them. The coach requested we cover the costs, but many families didn't. It wasn't a problem.

We had field trips end in elementary school. Well, we did have one in high school which cost $5. It was a trip to San Diego.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
What a shame. I think it's a GREAT idea for parents to pay for their kids' extracurricular activities instead of the taxpayers. Kids are entitled to an excellent basic education; parents should provide the rest.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
What a shame. I think it's a GREAT idea for parents to pay for their kids' extracurricular activities instead of the taxpayers. Kids are entitled to an excellent basic education; parents should provide the rest.
Again, the only fees the ACLU was contesting were illegal ones -- fees for texts, workbooks, lab supplies, etc. necessary to fully access the curriculum.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Unless the OP has a source that gives different information, it doesn't look as though we're talking about field trips, cheerleader uniforms, pens & pencils, etc.
The article did state: "Attorneys filed the case after collecting numerous anecdotal examples of school districts charging fees for books, art supplies and other basic educational materials as well as for students' involvement in extracurricular activities."

This article makes it clear that many extracurricular activities, and even some co curricular activities (the article mentions choir) are in danger in California.

School funding: Unable to charge fees, schools brace for shift in extracurricular programs - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education