U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
Reputation: 10471

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I have to disagree. When there is a hefty fee involved I think its fine to cut middle school kids rather than collect a fee and have the kid sit on the bench. We were on a travel lacrosse team that was intentionally kept small last summer. It was a much better experience for the kids that made the team than another travel lacrosse team that took 30 kids on its roster. The better kids played but the parents of the lesser players wound up basically paying a fee to subsidize the other kids. I was much happier with my son's experience. 17 kids, all of them saw the field. The weaker players were cut.
Venturing off topic but make more teams vs cutting at that age...again, the educational opportunities at that age are endless in all sports and activities and I would hate for kids to miss out on them because they were not the most athletic, yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2011, 03:28 PM
 
11,614 posts, read 19,707,814 times
Reputation: 12046
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Venturing off topic but make more teams vs cutting at that age...again, the educational opportunities at that age are endless in all sports and activities and I would hate for kids to miss out on them because they were not the most athletic, yet.
In rec leagues, yes. But not for competitive travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 03:42 PM
 
20,793 posts, read 52,354,094 times
Reputation: 10471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
In rec leagues, yes. But not for competitive travel.
Disagree, but back to the main topic now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2011, 05:33 PM
 
8,240 posts, read 14,894,928 times
Reputation: 3651
I think the future of jobs will be in the creative sector. Mundane, repetitive tasks can be outsourced or automated. Many will disagree, but that's my bet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 05:30 AM
 
Location: Brazil
234 posts, read 716,381 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Chaos in the classroom is just another symptom of the failed system. Who is responsible in the classroom? Most kids I see out and about are pretty well behaved, maybe not cowering in fear as the OP seems to want, but ok in public with their parents. Let's face it folks, it is the teachers who fail to earn the respect of children in the classroom.
Teachers do they best to get respect as she gives it. But there is so much a teacher CAN do because anything now a days is a law sue.

Imagine you tell this one kid that is rude disrespectful to behave, tell the principal who call in the mother and she is like my son is an angel where is this coming from then she wants to sue the school because we are saying her son is bad, that the school and the teacher is the problem for they don´t MAKE HIM be good.

understand the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 07:34 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,440,705 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romila View Post
Teachers do they best to get respect as she gives it. But there is so much a teacher CAN do because anything now a days is a law sue.

Imagine you tell this one kid that is rude disrespectful to behave, tell the principal who call in the mother and she is like my son is an angel where is this coming from then she wants to sue the school because we are saying her son is bad, that the school and the teacher is the problem for they don´t MAKE HIM be good.

understand the situation.
Not sure if you read the entire thread, but are these the same problems teachers face in Brazil? I taught in Serbia in 2007 and didn't have these problems, but my friends who are teaching there told me that withing the past two years they have noticed students who are less respectful and less wanting to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Houston
471 posts, read 1,296,604 times
Reputation: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Sometimes it makes you wonder what is UP with this epidemic of boredom among kids in this generation. They cannot tolerate even one stimuli-free moment.
I feel sorry for those kids because when they get a job, even a part-timer position at a retail store, but especially a job that supports them when they leave home, they will have a very rude and upsetting awakening when they realize their boss will NOT entertain them and that work-related activities CANNOT always be "fun". Sure there are some corporations and career fields where this can happen, but most in my experience are the former, even companies that dealt with hobbies I love (like audio gear and carpentry).

IMO parents and teachers who pander to a child's every whim are doing those kids a serious disservice and we are already seeing the negative effects of that right now.

And personally I believe you can be creative, curious and open to new ideas AND be a disciplined person at the same time. A favorite example of this is a successful musician, who of course needs an open mind/creativity/etc but also has to stick to some kind of schedule and practice plan or else his latest track won't make it to iTunes soon enough......and in turn he/she won't get paid......and then he/she won't be able to pay the rent, buy food or fix the mixing board that got fried when a fan spilled his beer on it. Or be able to take time off to do some fun stuff like go to the beach for the weekend! But if a kid is constantly told being disciplined = rigid, close-minded or "mean", well, never mind then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Houston
471 posts, read 1,296,604 times
Reputation: 337
And btw, here's a track by Brian Eno, considered by many to have invented the chillout music genre, great I think for stressed-out teachers during their break or after the last bell rings (there is no actual name for this track, but just what you see here):

"1/1" from his album Ambient 1: Music For Airports, released in '78.

The track is actually seventeen minutes long but Youtube's 10 minute format won't permit that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Hyrule
8,401 posts, read 9,546,743 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
For about the 20th time on this thread--you are WRONG....the top athletes are almost ALWAYS the top students...with RARE exceptions. You can do both, play a sport AND read a book, it happens quite often actually.

Again, your kid is 6. You are making a lot of generalizations about high school kids with NO experience with kids in this age group. Having high school aged kids, I see these kids every day and you are flat out wrong about the intellectual drive of athletes. Go visit the high school in your town, talk to the administrators, ask what activities their top students are in, you will find you are just wrong.
She is wrong about a lot and clearly on a parent bashing mission. No facts, no proof, no nothing but another "it's the parents fault" thread. Parents are the teachers fall guy I guess, but it gets tiring.

To answer the original post:
When one of you can come up with a real reason 1/2 the kids in our school system aren't learning enough to pass into college it will really surprise me. It seems you can not get past the old tired parent excuse to save your own sanity. You spout evidence, then show some proving to me that the reason Americas education system fails is because the parents don't spank their kids as much anymore. You need a lot more proof than "I spent a day in my daughters K class" to convince me you are doing anything but bashing parents with your views of spanking kids and using your day in kinder to do it with. Whip your own children to death if you want and prove to me with their exceptional grades how they did. Until then, your rant just won't do it.
A lot of people know spanking is just a crock excuse and won't do a thing to change your kids behavior in the classroom. In fact it might make them worse.
Spanking and Kids' Aggression: 3 Alternatives to Spanking That Work for Parents and Kids - On Parenting (usnews.com)

Last edited by PoppySead; 01-14-2012 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 07:11 PM
 
Location: Whoville....
25,393 posts, read 29,697,018 times
Reputation: 14495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
And btw, here's a track by Brian Eno, considered by many to have invented the chillout music genre, great I think for stressed-out teachers during their break or after the last bell rings (there is no actual name for this track, but just what you see here):


"1/1" from his album Ambient 1: Music For Airports, released in '78.

The track is actually seventeen minutes long but Youtube's 10 minute format won't permit that.
This is really relaxing...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top