Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 01:26 PM

178 posts, read 332,356 times

Advertisements

It's time for proficiency tests. Kids who are proficient move on. Those who aren't get to "spiral".[/quote]

I like this. Rather than have grades levels have proficiency levels. The important thing is they get it. If they don't learn it again, but why punish the whole class. All kids have there strengths and weaknesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 07:06 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
Seems like the problem with the child moving around is that she doesn't enjoy math. Math isn't about, I've learned it, let's move on so I never have to see it again. Maybe get a job where you don't have to move around so much so there can be some consistency to her education.

I get the "I didn't learn this last year" all the time. Funny thing is we only have two 5th grade math teachers. So when I ask if anyone learned the concept last year and few hands come up, I will ask them who they had as a teacher. When they say Mrs. Blah, I will say, so nobody else had Mrs. Blah last year. Tim was the only person who had Mrs. Blah.

When I ask the Pre-AP class if they learned it last year, all of them raise their hands even though they had the same teachers as the others.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:49 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Who won the American Revolution?
Who was the 1st President?
List a common name for each side in the Civil War.
Which American wrote the Declaration of Independence?
List two reasons for the Civil War.
The American (rebels) or Continental Army

George Washington

North/South or Free States/Slave States

Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, Roger Sherman, and Robert Livingston

Issue of state's rights and fight between slave/anti-slavery proponents

The cry that, "We weren't taught that" is most likely true.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:07 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,340 times
not when the subject is usually Integers.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I get the "I didn't learn this last year" all the time. Funny thing is we only have two 5th grade math teachers. So when I ask if anyone learned the concept last year and few hands come up, I will ask them who they had as a teacher. When they say Mrs. Blah, I will say, so nobody else had Mrs. Blah last year. Tim was the only person who had Mrs. Blah.

When I ask the Pre-AP class if they learned it last year, all of them raise their hands even though they had the same teachers as the others.
They're being honest. The AP-bound kids are in that class because they did learn it.

Try asking, "Who was taught this last year?" or "Did your teacher talk about this last year?" Maybe Mrs. Blah needs to pay more attention to mastery.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess72 View Post
It's time for proficiency tests. Kids who are proficient move on. Those who aren't get to "spiral".
I like this. Rather than have grades levels have proficiency levels. The important thing is they get it. If they don't learn it again, but why punish the whole class. All kids have there strengths and weaknesses.[/quote]

It's funny you mentioned that, because I am tutoring students for the proficiency test (Math) that is required to graduate. I am not a contract teacher--but it just kind of bothers me that they make excuses, and blame everybody, but themselves.

One student has been diagnoses with ADHD (surprise) and takes Ritalin. Yet he refuses to put away his ear-buds. More than ironic.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:52 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I like this. Rather than have grades levels have proficiency levels. The important thing is they get it. If they don't learn it again, but why punish the whole class. All kids have there strengths and weaknesses.
It's funny you mentioned that, because I am tutoring students for the proficiency test (Math) that is required to graduate. I am not a contract teacher--but it just kind of bothers me that they make excuses, and blame everybody, but themselves.

One student has been diagnoses with ADHD (surprise) and takes Ritalin. Yet he refuses to put away his ear-buds. More than ironic.[/quote]

The BIGGEST thing we do wrong is we treat learning as everyone's job EXCEPT the student. If we could instill a sense of responsibility for their own learning in our kids, we could cure most of what ails our education system over night. Until kids take responsibility for their own learning, we're pushing a rope.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:03 AM

346 posts, read 507,479 times
The BIGGEST thing we do wrong is we treat learning as everyone's job EXCEPT the student. If we could instill a sense of responsibility for their own learning in our kids, we could cure most of what ails our education system over night. Until kids take responsibility for their own learning, we're pushing a rope.[/quote]

How do you do this? How do you make a child intrinsically motivated to learn, to do well for the sake of doing well? If I could change my son's sense of responsibility he would definitely be a more successful student. I read A great book that addressed this very issue, claiming kids were not lazy, they were just motivated by different things, however I must have failed in the implementation of the ideas. The majority of the time, my son doesn't care, FEAR seems to be a motivator, but I would much rather desire and enjoyment of learning be the key.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:58 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Motivating Students | Center for Teaching | Vanderbilt University

Quote:
Intrinsic motivators include fascination with the subject, a sense of its relevance to life and the world, a sense of accomplishment in mastering it, and a sense of calling to it.
The big idea on HOW to get students intrinsically motivated, imo, is

Quote:
Give students as much control over their own education as possible. Let students choose paper and project topics that interest them. Assess them in a variety of ways (tests, papers, projects, presentations, etc.) to give students more control over how they show their understanding to you. Give students options for how these assignments are weighted.
This is difficult to do in our current system.

Old 10-11-2011, 04:24 PM

just let them watch MTV everyday, and you might be voted "Most Popular Teacher".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education