Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times

Advertisements

I can't rep you, either NBP!

I agree with toobusytoday, the curriculum can be interpreted differently in different districts. The district where I attended school in PA was the only one I ever heard of to have the math sequence in high school be: algebra I, algebra II, geometry. Most districts do Algebra I, geometry, then algebra II, as did my kids' high school in CO.

The common core standards are just that, a core. States/districts are free to add other subjects/requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 04:08 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
I think if you look at the graduation requirements for most states you would find that they are, for the most part, the same or very close to it. Every state requires a couple years of science, a couple years of math, a couple years of Language Arts, a couple years of Social Science, etc. Most require more than that but you get the idea. Most states with better education levels mirror college entrance expectations and will require some credits in fine arts, foreign languages, etc. What is different is how those subjects are taught and how seriously the students take getting an education. When you have some districts with 99% graduations rates from 9th to 12th grade and others that have 30% graduation rates...it isn't the curriculum that is the issue.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
It is a curriculum issue because while courses are named the same thing in different states, what those courses include is NOT standard.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:35 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
It is a curriculum issue because while courses are named the same thing in different states, what those courses include is NOT standard.
True, however, there are really only a handful of textbook companies out there and the textbooks all pretty much say the same things, just present the information differently. Most schools will use those as a guide for lesson prep, etc. Math, for example, 1+1=2 pretty much everywhere in the world.

Oh, and in our state, MN history is usually taught in the middle school years, 5-6th grade or so.

Old 10-10-2011, 11:17 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
True, however, there are really only a handful of textbook companies out there and the textbooks all pretty much say the same things, just present the information differently. Most schools will use those as a guide for lesson prep, etc. Math, for example, 1+1=2 pretty much everywhere in the world.

Oh, and in our state, MN history is usually taught in the middle school years, 5-6th grade or so.
Actually, the textbooks are quite variable. Note that Texas is taking out History curricula by eliminating all contributions by minorities, eliminating Thomas Jefferson and calling separation of church and state into question.

Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Conservatives passed one amendment, for instance, requiring that the history of McCarthyism include “how the later release of the Venona papers confirmed suspicions of communist infiltration in U.S. government.†The Venona papers were transcripts of some 3,000 communications between the Soviet Union and its agents in the United States.
Even in math - Algebra I may not cover the same topics in the same order (so kids who move mid-year can be screwed). Geometry can be taught as real Geometry or as Geometry without proofs (as was done in my inner city Chicago school and which led to my getting out of teaching the year they decided no kids would get the standard class). Physics is sometimes taught as real Physics and sometimes taught as Conceptual Physics (with no math).

A National curriculum with standards would hopefully change this.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Should we expect uniform quality and coverage of subjects from our schools? Should public schools, at least up until High School, be a Federal responsibility?

Schools are paid for through local taxes.
Some schools have inferior equipment and teachers because there is not enough money.
Some neighborhoods are upper middle class where parents take the time to interact with their children more, go to PTA meetings, help with homework. Perhaps they don't require extra resources.

I know, there are those who get very indignant over too much federal power already, but I am thinking about what is the most effective way to have the best work force possible for the future of the country.

Do you think this would be an overall good change?
How about local governments dictate what the LOCAL kids should learn? Education was gotten so much worse since the Dept. of Education was created in 1979. Big government is NEVER the answer.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
How about local governments dictate what the LOCAL kids should learn? Education was gotten so much worse since the Dept. of Education was created in 1979. Big government is NEVER the answer.
Another half truth, maybe even quarter truth. There has been a dept. of ed since 1867. It became a cabinet level dept. in 1953 under the Eisenhower admin, under the old dept. of Health, Education and Welfare. Education was made its own cabinet level dept in 1980.

How should local govts decide what local kids need to learn? Do you really think a kid in Minnesota needs to learn something different than a kid in Pennsylvania? We are a very mobile society. It would behoove schools to teach for a moblie population.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Another half truth, maybe even quarter truth. There has been a dept. of ed since 1867. It became a cabinet level dept. in 1953 under the Eisenhower admin, under the old dept. of Health, Education and Welfare. Education was made its own cabinet level dept in 1980.

How should local govts decide what local kids need to learn? Do you really think a kid in Minnesota needs to learn something different than a kid in Pennsylvania? We are a very mobile society. It would behoove schools to teach for a moblie population.
It was a departmentI in 1867, but was then demoted to become an office of the Dpt. of the interior until 1979.

Local governments should decide by themselves what to learn. I don't know what a kid in another locality should learn- that's up the communtiy.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
It was a departmentI in 1867, but was then demoted to become an office of the Dpt. of the interior until 1979.

Local governments should decide by themselves what to learn. I don't know what a kid in another locality should learn- that's up the communtiy.
Department of the Interior, really? In with the national park service? I . . .don't. . . think . . . so! You really do need to brush up on the facts.

Federal Role in Education

Why do you think kids in different communities have different learning needs?

Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually, the textbooks are quite variable. Note that Texas is taking out History curricula by eliminating all contributions by minorities, eliminating Thomas Jefferson and calling separation of church and state into question.

Texas Conservatives Win Vote on Textbook Standards - NYTimes.com

Even in math - Algebra I may not cover the same topics in the same order (so kids who move mid-year can be screwed). Geometry can be taught as real Geometry or as Geometry without proofs (as was done in my inner city Chicago school and which led to my getting out of teaching the year they decided no kids would get the standard class). Physics is sometimes taught as real Physics and sometimes taught as Conceptual Physics (with no math).

A National curriculum with standards would hopefully change this.
With all due respect, Golfgal, I'm with Nana above. I have a student who's taking the first year of a language at a local high school, and despite the fact that you'd think the first year of a language just about anywhere would be about the same, it's not.

For example, just to be specific, the online version of this class the studentwas considering taking from an accredited online school goes through about a chapter of the classic Wheelock's Latin every week or so during the year. In this student's high school class, they have a far easier textbook, one that presents far fewer concepts, and they're going through it about one chapter every two to two and a half weeks. The level of education is just...well, it's just much easier. Even so, this student is getting the identical *credit* for this course even though the level of education is far different.

Note: Just for the record, this student and this student's family are wishing they had taken the online course.

Speaking closer to home, even within my own district there is an incredible amount of variability. To be honest, I don't think the CCSS go far enough, mostly because they fail to provide solid texts that need to be taught. Other than specifically naming some crucial American documents (the Declaration, etc.), they are deliberately vague about what texts to teach or how hard they should be. Unscrupulous teachers, administrators, or others are free to interpret these standards far too liberally, so that an "essay" can be interpreted as "a half-page composition." I honestly think the CCSS need to be far more specific than they are. Still, they're an improvement, at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education