Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2012, 06:00 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,319,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Unfortunately, we need common standards. Right now, the eduation a child gets is dependent on the state in which they live. This is, especially, problematic when you have a transient population. Kids who move from one state to another can be in for a big shock. I had a student move to Florida last year. She went from being a better than average student to being at the top of her class over night. She came back to visit and said that she slept through class because she'd already learned what they were teaching. THAT should not happen.
Why should standards be the same? Whose standards? Maybe one community wants more stringent standards, and another doesn't. Every community should be allowed to set their own standards.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
[quote=daminos;22943480]
Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post

The fallacy of this argument is that you think if the federal government doesn't do it, it would not be done. We have state governments, local governments, and private institutions. We do not need the Federal Government. All the Federal Government does, it does VERY BADLY.
Gee, I wonder why our forefathers created this useless government....

Ever year the phrase "Necessity is the mother of invention?". Seriously if it were left up to some of the selfish people who post here, we'd have kids begging on the streets instead of in school. You may think we don't need government but I think we do and I'm in the majority while you're in the minority. So there!!!

Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why is it pointless? So what kind of government do you think that libertarians believe in? Gee, thanks for acknowledging my rights as an American citizen.

Yes, in my opinion, the federal government has overstepped its bounds in many areas, especially in the area of education.
One that doesn't exist, anywhere on the planet.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:02 PM

[quote=Ivorytickler;22943510]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daminos View Post

Ever year the phrase "Necessity is the mother of invention?". Seriously if it were left up to some of the selfish people who post here, we'd have kids begging on the streets instead of in school. You may think we don't need government but I think we do and I'm in the majority while you're in the minority. So there!!!
Did you just stamp your foot?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:03 PM

464 posts, read 660,523 times
Quote:
And you seem quite capable of going to the NIH website and finding out what they've funded and the amount of drugs which they've created. Go along, we'll wait.....
I don't go to the NIH website!!! I would not waste my time. They are already stealing from me.

What has the NIH created? Could you give an example since you said they have?

Old 02-11-2012, 06:04 PM

919 posts, read 1,782,537 times
[quote=daminos;22943480]
Quote:

The fallacy of this argument is that you think if the federal government doesn't do it, it would not be done. We have state governments, local governments, and private institutions. We do not need the Federal Government. All the Federal Government does, it does VERY BADLY.
You're thinking is simply amazing. You happen to be using a computer which was first invented by the US Army, with programs created by the US Navy, the Internet which was created by the US Department of Defense. All of that is still government controlled and the same government pays for basic research all over the country. I'm trying to be as civil and polite as possible, but what you posted is just dumb. No state could have taken on those projects because they had nothing close to the funds in order to do so. And because the FEDS had national jurisdiction the benefits were national in scope. The problem is that all of that taxpayer funded stuff was then privatized and made far more expensive than if it had stayed in the public arena....

Old 02-11-2012, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I don't go to the NIH website!!! I would not waste my time. They are already stealing from me.

What has the NIH created? Could you give an example since you said they have?
Look man if you're going to be intentionally ignorant, far be it from me to sway you from your chosen goal......

Old 02-11-2012, 06:06 PM

[quote=loloroj;22943542]
Quote:

You're thinking is simply amazing. You happen to be using a computer which was first invented by the US Army, with programs created by the US Navy, the Internet which was created by the US Department of Defense. All of that is still government controlled and the same government pays for basic research all over the country. I'm trying to be as civil and polite as possible, but what you posted is just dumb. No state could have taken on those projects because they had nothing close to the funds in order to do so. And because the FEDS had national jurisdiction the benefits were national in scope. The problem is that all of that taxpayer funded stuff was then privatized and made far more expensive than if it had stayed in the public arena....
Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here you go. Educate yourself. It was a government-commercial joint venture, and one that more than likely would have been invented by commerce eventually anyway.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 PM

[quote=mimimomx3;22943570]
Quote:

Internet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here you go. Educate yourself. It was a government-commercial joint venture, and one that more than likely would have been invented by commerce eventually anyway.
Yup, and if you had bothered to do any research, the FEDS STILL to this day pay for the research for the maintenance of the internet. Which underscores my point, that the FEDS gave away the Internet when we had done the initial public funding. I guess you didn't bother to read most of my post.

Old 02-11-2012, 06:10 PM

464 posts, read 660,523 times
[quote=Ivorytickler;22943510]
Quote:

The forefathers created a very limited government. Unfortunately, the authority vested in the Constitution has be usurped by well meaning, but misguided people such as yourself.

What I wish you would understand is that what you are defending is a system that requires coercion, violence, and thievery. Just because you, or even the majority, think something is right does not make it so. I personally do not believe what the Federal Government does is a good. Therefore, what the Federal Government takes from me is completely involuntary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education