Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:49 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,127,435 times

Advertisements

Did you - or your children - have "notebook checks" in middle or high school?

A "notebook check" basically takes the form of the teacher periodically collecting the student's notebooks (to see if they have made a sufficient, legible entry of notes for each class day) and/or folders (to see if they are neat and in order). These are usually graded and can account for a significant percentage of the student's grade.

They are supposed to reinforce organizational skills.

Also, what is your opinion on them?

In 7th and 8th grade, almost all classes had notebook checks, and my grades suffered as a result, as I am naturally disorganized. In 9th grade, only 1 or 2 did; and then in 10th grade, about four did.

Interestingly, this kid who did SO bad on notebook checks and whose GPA suffered as a result scored well on the ACT and went on to college where he graduated with a summa *** laude despite his father dying in the first semester and a diagnosis of a malignant brain tumor in the seventh.

Examples of notebook checks:

https://sites.google.com/a/gm.sbac.e...notebook-check
http://vickiratliff.cmswiki.wikispac...Notebook+Check
http://machistory8thgrade.blogspot.c...riday-420.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Did you - or your children - have "notebook checks" in middle or high school?

A "notebook check" basically takes the form of the teacher periodically collecting the student's notebooks (to see if they have made a sufficient, legible entry of notes for each class day) and/or folders (to see if they are neat and in order). These are usually graded and can account for a significant percentage of the student's grade.

They are supposed to reinforce organizational skills.

Also, what is your opinion on them?

In 7th and 8th grade, almost all classes had notebook checks, and my grades suffered as a result, as I am naturally disorganized. In 9th grade, only 1 or 2 did; and then in 10th grade, about four did.

Interestingly, this kid who did SO bad on notebook checks and whose GPA suffered as a result scored well on the ACT and went on to college where he graduated with a summa *** laude despite his father dying in the first semester and a diagnosis of a malignant brain tumor in the seventh.
My kids have had them and I have used them. They aren't enough of the grade to make a huge differnce though. If a student is doing well but doesn't have their notebook in order it's not even going to make a half grade difference.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:33 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I did it when I taught high school science and do it for my college bio majors lab, since an important part of doing science is keeping accurate notes on lab work. It's not a super huge part of the grade; however, last year I did the stats and found a significant correlation between thoroughness of the notebook and overall performance in the course. (not to imply a causal relationship of course)

Old 05-11-2012, 02:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
I do not know if my high schooler has notebook checks, but younger kids do. I cannot recall what the policy was when I was a student, because I'm just too darned old.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:31 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
We had notebook checks in elementary and middle school.
In elementary school, the teacher would give prizes or opportunities for prizes if your parents had signed your notebook saying that they looked over your work.

In middle school, the homeroom teacher would check for signatures...those who had a whole week signed would get their 3 hallway passes. If you didn't get a whole week of signatures then you weren't allowed to leave the classroom except during passing periods.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:48 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negativenancy View Post
We had notebook checks in elementary and middle school.
In elementary school, the teacher would give prizes or opportunities for prizes if your parents had signed your notebook saying that they looked over your work.

In middle school, the homeroom teacher would check for signatures...those who had a whole week signed would get their 3 hallway passes. If you didn't get a whole week of signatures then you weren't allowed to leave the classroom except during passing periods.

My parents wouldn't have been available to sign notebooks. That's why I disagree with grading children for their parents' actions.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 PM

4,885 posts, read 7,289,856 times
I do notebook checks about two times a month. Like a previous poster, the point value is low enough to not cause too much damage.

In high school, my own children had a math teacher who would have "notebook test" instead of notebook checks. He would hand out a test, but instead of math problems to work out, it would have something like this:

1. notebook page 8, problem number 6.
2. notebook page 17, problem number 4.

As long as the student had done their homework and kept it in the notebook, he/she would be fairly safe. Those who never did homework had problems.

These test were random, unannounced and counted the same point value as and announced test.
He rarely gave two classes a test in the same day.

Certainly, gave students an incentive to do their homework.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,851,182 times
in high school in only ever had notebook checks in 9th grade civics class. i think once a week we'd turn them in on fridays and get them back on mondays.

middle school i can't recall and i'm more than confident that we did NOT have them in elem school.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:57 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
My parents wouldn't have been available to sign notebooks. That's why I disagree with grading children for their parents' actions.
I disagree with it too to some extent... which is why mine was often signed by me I would show my parents and either they would forget or didn't have time in the morning/evening.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:00 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
I don't do them, but the other algebra teacher does. It's basically free points (it raises the grades of 90% of students). It's not a big enough grade to make a difference in the scheme of things. Might bring you up or down 5% over the course of the whole year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education