Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times

Advertisements

Not acceptable. I would definitely talk with the principal. I do have a question. Why is it ok for coaches to punish kids with pushups, laps, etc, and yell at them, ridicule, etc., but it's not ok for classroom teachers? I've wondered...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 03:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktolley39 View Post
My son is in 6th grade and his math teacher is a bully. This teacher makes kids do pushups if they are late for class. He screams in their face and makes them stand up in class and trys to humiliate the student in front of all the other students. He has made alot of students cry from his behavior. This school goes on camp trips over night and i spoke to this teacher about my son might not go because he has severe anxiety. He pretended concerned about it but today he made fun of my son in front of the whole class by saying (in a whiny baby voice) that saying you just dont want to go or you cant be away from mommy and daddy is not a good excuse. What kind of teacher finds it ok to humiliate their students about anything. This man seems to have serious problems.
The kind that can get away with it...this teacher is very detrimental to the childrens well being, he should have to hit the road....he shouldn't have the kind of job that puts him around children....he needs a parent to come over and scream in HIS face and humiliate him....I truly feel bad for the kids stuck in this jerks class room....

Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
The kind that can get away with it...this teacher is very detrimental to the childrens well being, he should have to hit the road....he shouldn't have the kind of job that puts him around children....he needs a parent to come over and scream in HIS face and humiliate him....I truly feel bad for the kids stuck in this jerks class room....
Me too. Any teacher that is hell-bent on humiliating students will surely succeed. I would NOT want my child in his class.

The teacher and the principal needs to know that you are present - watching and listening to what goes on. I'd request another teacher.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 48,060 times
I am not sure what the other parents say about this teacher. He has never made my son do pushups , I was just throwing that out there to give ppl an idea of what he's like. Alot of people are ok with the push ups. Myself, I would be upset if he made my son do pushups. it sounds like a control thing to me. but he has made comments about a private issue that I spoke to him about in front of the class, thats not ok...At the beginning of the year my son told me how much this teacher yells and about the pushup and so on and so on. I thought it was extreme, but I told my son that all teachers have different ways of teaching and not to let the yelling bother him. But when he pulled the stunt about talking about a private issue infront of the class that was out of line. My son is a quiet, likes everyone kinda kid. all the teachers love him ( not bragging) LOL. I just dont want my son to be treated fairly, I wouldnt allow my son to disrepect the teacher, i expect the teacher to give my son respect, ya know..Thanks for listening to me vent hahaha

Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 AM

225 posts, read 714,756 times
Push ups aren't ok, making fun of a kid in front of the class isn't ok, and I'm sure these methods of discipline are not advocated by the school or district. Go to the principal. See if you can get his class changed. If you don't see a change or any results, go to the superintendent's office. Ruffle some feathers. This is no way to treat any child. Yes, teachers have different teaching styles, and your kid may or may not like or get along with a teacher. But this is beyond that, and respect goes both ways. I taught for 12 years and I've seen teachers like this. They have no business being in the classroom.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,274,049 times
Quote:
..At the beginning of the year my son told me how much this teacher yells and about the pushup and so on and so on. I thought it was extreme, but I told my son that all teachers have different ways of teaching and not to let the yelling bother him. But when he pulled the stunt about talking about a private issue infront of the class that was out of line. My son is a quiet, likes everyone kinda kid. all the teachers love him ( not bragging) LOL. I just dont want my son to be treated fairly, I wouldnt allow my son to disrepect the teacher, i expect the teacher to give my son respect, ya know..Thanks for listening to me vent hahaha
Yelling in a students face should never be considered "a different way of teaching", and I KNOW I'd be bothered by it, course I'm an adult, and I'm sure this "teacher" would only save this for a student....I wouldn't expect my son to respect someone who has no respect for him...your "vent" is completely understandable.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:16 AM

571 posts, read 1,302,952 times
My advice to you is to have everything documented. How do you know about all of these incidents? I'm NOT saying your son is not telling the truth, but you need something more than just what he tells you. I would talk to some other parents to see what they have to say. Write down the exact dates of incidents and bring them with you when you talk to the principal.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:22 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Why is it ok for coaches to punish kids with pushups, laps, etc, and yell at them, ridicule, etc., but it's not ok for classroom teachers? I've wondered...
It's not OK for coaches to "ridicule" kids. But it is OK to for a coach (not a math teacher) to make them do push-ups. Some coaches yell (others do not) because the environment is often noisy and full of testosterone. Often the entire team has to do push-ups when one player makes a mental mistake in practice. If a coach habitually yells out of frustration then he's not a good coach.

My older son plays varsity sports and my younger son will be playing JV basketball this year. They have played a variety of youth sports their entire lives and I've seen all kinds of coaches.

Playing a sport is voluntary while attending math class is not. That's the difference right there.

Last edited by jtab4994; 09-18-2012 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 09-18-2012, 09:26 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
What is the philosophy of the charter school? What is their mission statement? Is it an "alternative" to a "bad" local school? Are there a lot of kids there that need discipline, and maybe this teacher is scared of being seen as weak?

It does seem like he has issues and is insecure in projecting authority and has to belittle children to try and look tough.

Last edited by jtab4994; 09-18-2012 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: typo's

Old 09-18-2012, 09:29 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,334 times
Quote:
My son is in 6th grade and his math teacher is a bully. This teacher makes kids do pushups if they are late for class. He screams in their face and makes them stand up in class and trys to humiliate the student in front of all the other students. He has made alot of students cry from his behavior. This school goes on camp trips over night and i spoke to this teacher about my son might not go because he has severe anxiety. He pretended concerned about it but today he made fun of my son in front of the whole class by saying (in a whiny baby voice) that saying you just dont want to go or you cant be away from mommy and daddy is not a good excuse. What kind of teacher finds it ok to humiliate their students about anything. This man seems to have serious problems.
I remember a story/tale that was recorded about my great-grandfather. You see Otha and Willard attended a school in Coal City Indiana. A school that is now shut-down (has been since before my parents were old enough to to talk). This was before cars, so horse draw wagons were key in those parts.

The teacher did something ( a paddle in front of the class ? ) to Willard, the younger of the two. My great-grandfather apparently went to the school, dragged the teacher out, and whipped the teacher with a leather belt. Didn't happen again

oh, the good old days in Southern Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education