Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times

Advertisements

Is he hitting your kid?
Nope.
So he embarrassed/humiliated him for being late.
Whats the penalty for not being able to do all of the push-ups?

When your kid gets older and screws up they will print it in the paper to humiliate/embarrass him, It's called a deterrent.

When your kid disrupts the class it takes away from the whole class.

IF he is yelling the class next to this one would be disturbed and the principle would be notified.

The Q is why is your kid disrupting the class?
Didn't you "teach" them how to act properly in public at home?
What came first the problem child or the aggressive teacher?
I know it's never the parents on the child that is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
It is interesting in the light of this news story:

13 year old boy hospitalized for a week after doing push-ups at school as a punishment

Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
It's not OK for coaches to "ridicule" kids. But it is OK to for a coach (not a math teacher) to make them do push-ups. Some coaches yell (others do not) because the environment is often noisy and full of testosterone. Often the entire team has to do push-ups when one player makes a mental mistake in practice. If a coach habitually yells out of frustration then he's not a good coach.

My older son plays varsity sports and my younger son will be playing JV basketball this year. They have played a variety of youth sports their entire lives and I've seen all kinds of coaches.

Playing a sport is voluntary while attending math class is not. That's the difference right there.
I see the 'voluntary' part- sort of- but not the 'testosterone' part. That I find specious. I don't think ANY adult should ever scream at or humiliate a child.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:30 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,425,854 times
Don't mix up my words now, Mimi. I agree that it's not OK to "scream at or humiliate a child".

There is nothing wrong with a coach yelling, for example, "FULL SPEED! FULL SPEED!" during a football practice. That's yelling. There is a lot of testosterone and it's noisy out there, and he is encouraging his players to perform better. If on the other hand the coach yells something like "FULL SPEED YOU LAZY IDIOT MORON BUMS!" then he is not a good coach. Please note the difference in tone and the message the coach is sending.

Now, the original post on this thread is about a male math teacher. I say it is never OK for a math teacher to make a student do push-ups for being late to class. That's ridiculous. No coach or teacher should scream at or humiliate a child under any circumstances.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Charter school again. The school says it was 60, done in 3 sets of 20. The child says it was 100. Either way I'm not sure how a normal healthy kid ends up in the hospital for a week. Does he have sickle cell? Some other general health issue? If he does, the school should have known about it and should not have given him the choice to do push-ups!

Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,314,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Don't mix up my words now, Mimi. I agree that it's not OK to "scream at or humiliate a child".

There is nothing wrong with a coach yelling, for example, "FULL SPEED! FULL SPEED!" during a football practice. That's yelling. There is a lot of testosterone and it's noisy out there, and he is encouraging his players to perform better. If on the other hand the coach yells something like "FULL SPEED YOU LAZY IDIOT MORON BUMS!" then he is not a good coach. Please note the difference in tone and the message the coach is sending.

Now, the original post on this thread is about a male math teacher. I say it is never OK for a math teacher to make a student do push-ups for being late to class. That's ridiculous. No coach or teacher should scream at or humiliate a child under any circumstances.
Agreed. No mixing up of words intended. Also, I think that "pushups for punishment" is NEVER ok...on the playing field or the classroom.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:08 PM

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on "pushups for punishment on the playing field". My son's JV basketball team was doing that about a week ago from what he tells me (open gym, no official practice yet). Again, high school sports are not the same as pee-wee sports. High school athletes are really participating voluntarily. There is no "I am here because Mommy signed me up"!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:16 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
This happened in my parochial grammar school in California. They had hired this a-hole to teach the 7th grade who hailed from Chicago. He was an a-hole to the core such that he would poke fun at kids' names when he called the roll, just for the hell of it. Of course, he was a jerk in how he taught, as well. He was fired soon enough.

I'm surprised teachers are taking such risky postures in a job market like today. I think that, any time a parent has ANY concern about a teacher's behavior, calling the school and talking to the principal is the right thing to do.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1 View Post
My advice to you is to have everything documented. How do you know about all of these incidents? I'm NOT saying your son is not telling the truth, but you need something more than just what he tells you. I would talk to some other parents to see what they have to say. Write down the exact dates of incidents and bring them with you when you talk to the principal.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
These are some excellent points.
I wonder if this teacher has always done these things or if it is something new. If he has always done this then "bully teacher" may be a correct term. However, you may find that this is something new or different ----still not appropriate---but maybe a temporary problem that he needs to be aware of so he can change.

The reason that I'm thinking that is because teachers are human beings, too.

I remember when the teacher next door to me was going through a very difficult time with her (now ex) husband. He was an alcoholic going through a bad period. She had to leave school in the middle of the day many times due to emergencies (he was in several car accidents, was arrested two or three times, tried to pick up their son from school when he was drunk, etc). Well, needing to leave school a lot was not good behavior for a teacher (even though it was always approved & there was coverage) and the teacher was reprimanded. However, it was only for a few months and then she filed for divorce. She had never had excessive absences before this period and never had them again in the six years since this period.

Personally, i remember how my teaching wasn't typical (I wasn't as warm and loving as usual) during the time that my mother was dying and then 15 years later when my husband was fighting for his life when he had cancer. I hope that parents didn't judge me too harshly during those times.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson6943 View Post
My son is in 6th grade and his math teacher is a bully. This teacher makes kids do pushups if they are late for class. He screams in their face and makes them stand up in class and trys to humiliate the student in front of all the other students. He has made alot of students cry from his behavior. This school goes on camp trips over night and i spoke to this teacher about my son might not go because he has severe anxiety. He pretended concerned about it but today he made fun of my son in front of the whole class by saying (in a whiny baby voice) that saying you just dont want to go or you cant be away from mommy and daddy is not a good excuse. What kind of teacher finds it ok to humiliate their students about anything. This man seems to have serious problems.
OH He-- No. Go to the school board. Immediately move you kid out of that classroom. Get your son into a different school, or homeschool him. Do not voluntarily allow this man access to your son under any circumstances. Do this for your son. That is wrong, and this "teacher" should not be teaching imo Get him fired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education