Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 09:16 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,410 times

Advertisements

It's the same argument people made against integration and equal rights for anyone throughout history. "It's not biggotry it's what my religion teaches". It is a way to disguise biggotry (even the haters themselves are so convinced by their own rhetoric).

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 PM

743 posts, read 2,233,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
It's the same argument people made against integration and equal rights for anyone throughout history. "It's not biggotry it's what my religion teaches". It is a way to disguise biggotry (even the haters themselves are so convinced by their own rhetoric).

The state should no more endorse a religion than it should endorse certain sexual behaviors.

What consenting adults do in their bedrooms is none of my business. What teachers teach my children in school is my business.

First of all, people can throw out "bigotry" and manipulate it to fit any definition they want. In the Pgh forum, I had someone insinuate I was bigoted against white people (even though I am white) because I would want to live in an international and racially diverse neighborhood and school district (many of their suburban areas are 95%-99% white).

Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
The state should no more endorse a religion than it should endorse certain sexual behaviors.

What consenting adults do in their bedrooms is none of my business. What teachers teach my children in school is my business.
Does that mean all books featuring mommies and daddies should be pulled from the shelves?

What does "endorsing" something mean? "Endorsing" means PROMOTING. Since sexuality isn't chosen the way you choose Burger King over McDonalds, I don't see any "endorsing" of sexual behaviors going on. You can't "endorse" a sexual orientation anymore than you "endorse" being black by having Black History month.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times
Default agenda peddling

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Is the gay agenda being force fed to children in elementry school?
California has just signed into law a bill which is strongly pro-gay. Parts of this bill include provisions that make it legal for boys and girls to use each others bathrooms.
Books cannot mention mothers and fathers without also mentioning gay relationships.
If you tell a gay teacher you feel marriage is between a man and woman you can be charged with felony harassment.
Do you feel as if education (reading,writing and math) are now taking a back seat to social engineering.
Do you agree that this is what you want your children taught, and your tax money spent on?
The right wing christian extremists have no problem with agenda peddling as long as they do the peddling.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:10 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,239,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Because one does not agree with state-endorsed homosexuality (via public school curriculi), does not mean one is bigoted.
When one tries to deprive one group of benefits and rights afforded others that IS bigotry, that IS discrimination. State endorsed TOLERANCE IS appropriate. No matter how the right wing hate mongers try to twist it around it IS about tolerance and discrimination. I don't particularly give a crap whether you approve of my private life or not; I do care when you try to dehumanize me and deprive me of rights that you do have.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:12 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Stupid people are easier to control than well educated ones. That is why the three "r"s aren't taught well in schools in liberal areas. The PC thugs want to control people through the use of thought police (teachers)

Justin you are right on point. The sad reality is that this thought police is more prevalent in the inner city schools. A teacher I work with is doing her thesis on that very topic.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Is the gay agenda being force fed to children in elementry school?
California has just signed into law a bill which is strongly pro-gay. Parts of this bill include provisions that make it legal for boys and girls to use each others bathrooms.
Books cannot mention mothers and fathers without also mentioning gay relationships.
If you tell a gay teacher you feel marriage is between a man and woman you can be charged with felony harassment.
Do you feel as if education (reading,writing and math) are now taking a back seat to social engineering.
Do you agree that this is what you want your children taught, and your tax money spent on?
the public school system is misnamed
it should be the political school system
lets hear it for the voucher system.
a pet project of greenspan.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 10-28-2007, 08:09 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorytampa View Post
1. Who said it takes presedence over school subjects? It gets a more prominent place in the media because of those opposed to it.

2. What, praytell, is the "gay agenda" or "promoting homosexuality"? Is including different races, cultures, etc. promoting them? It's about stemming the tide of inequality and biggotry that occurs in large numbers towards the LGBT community.

If you want your kids to be fed a conservative christian curriculum then you need to send them to a christian school. We do not live a theocracy.
No, if the majority of people are against it, and we pay taxes, it shouldn't be there.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:12 PM

268 posts, read 1,014,691 times
Why in the world are sexual preferences even being addressed at all in school? That is insanity! Children need to be allowed to be innocent for as long as possible. I just can't believe that this discussion is even going on.
This is the kind of thing that parents should be addressing. By legislating it, we are even more allowing Big Brother to take over another part of the parenting process.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:14 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,160,431 times
Quote:
As a gay individual myself, I simply try to have the "live and let live" philosophy on life. If people show me respect, then I show them the same courtesy. With that being said, can someone please define the phrase "gay agenda," as I've heard this tossed around incessantly with nobody telling me what it means

As a straight individual I too believe in a live and let live philsophy, and feel what ever happens behind closed doors between consenting adults is their buisiness. I believe that if a gay couple want to live together they should be able to have legal status and rights. However I do not believe they should be able to hijack the institution of marriage. I do not think gays are entitled to more rights or special rights because they have chosen to define themselves by their sexuality. I do not think that the gay lifestyle should be force fed to elementry school children. I do not think sexuality has any place in elementry school period. We send our children to school to learn math, english, spelling, geography, and history, not social indoctrination. Parents have the right and responsibility to teach their children values according to their own culture and beliefs.
Having the right to live as you want is one thing, but trying to force others to accept it as normal, when they do not, will only create backlash.
The problem is, though, there's a reason why schooling became institutionalized, mandatory, and widespread in the wake of massive immigration to the U.S. -- schooling was seen as the agent for socialization and for the training of future factory workers. See John Taylor Gatto's An Underground History of American Education for a decent explanation of this history. The bottom line is that basically, you're not factually correct here. Modern education as we know it and have all experienced it is all about socialization - or to use your term, social indoctrination.

The other issue is that there is no such thing as values-free teaching. The moment I select a text for a class, I communicate a value. Should I teach King Lear? If so, the students will learn about a universe in which the Gods treat human beings as if they were boys and we were wingless flies to be killed just for sport. Should I teach D!ck and Jane? If so, students learn that the "norm" is a white, heterosexual family with two children and a dog who live in the suburbs. Should I teach the myth of Columbus (i.e., that Columbus discovered America) or the reality of Columbus (never touched the North American continent, instituted policies directly and indirectly responsible for rape/genocide of Taino population)? Maybe the only thing that is value-free is math, but even then, you get into battles about the way in which it is taught and how.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education