Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 05:23 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,198,794 times

Advertisements

I think if they obeyed authority and stopped doing it right after they were told, then just issue a warning. Arrest is over the top for this particular incident
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 06:39 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,378,490 times
Default All that energy has to go somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Zero tolerance and the "my hands are tied" attitude is nothing but a bunch of malarky. The Zero Tolerance philosophy is designed to keep the school district from getting sued and it works great for that, but can turn into a Kafkaesque nightmare for students, especially boys, who simply act normal.
As someone who, back in the day, held my schools beating up bullies record (I think my suspensions held the record for several years after I graduated and the bullies were all doing hard time) I'm glad the discipline didn't threaten expulsion. I actually won a few of the fights, (go figure; but they were only about 50 lbs. more on average) but we'd both be suspended for a few days.

The faster kids grow the energy has to go somewhere. I didn't appreciate the point of Zero Tolerance covering the districts ass. That motivates me to look more often for the alternate agenda.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The thing is that if a student is arrested for throwing a lollipop they don't wind up going to jail. But they do wind up with a criminal record for the rest of their life. They also take up public resources with such nonsense.
Not if they are a juvenile. Only if they are an adult does it stay with you.

Pretty drastic if you ask me. Tells the kids that they might as well throw that rock instead of the lollipop if the same result is going to happen. Only we know that it's not like that in real life.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:10 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Detention does not really exist any more. What used to be called detention is pretty much the exact same thing as suspension, except the student gets more due process with a suspension.
Too many parents have blown a gasket over after school detentions, so now suspensions are used instead.
Not true here. My 5th grader had a detention after school last week (she had 5 conduct marks because she was jumping around, not listening and not following directions). When that did not work, she had an in school suspension which is a detention for the entire day in a classroom where you have to sit and do work and have no social time at all. She even had to eat her lunch in the in-school classroom.

Unfortunately, she doesn't really care about social time, so I am not sure that will have any effect. She has asperger's and really prefers to be left alone. We are working on this with the school counselor. She was absolutely never a problem in elementary school, but middle school is different.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM

168 posts, read 335,699 times
I have a friend who taught middle school, she ended up quitting because of the discipline problems the kids had.

Whenever she gave a detention parents would complain about having to pick up the kid after school, how the kid didnt get the bus ride home and how they had to take their time and money to come get the child. How the school had no right to this to their kid. She got threatened several times by parents, not physical threats but threats to sue the school and herself, she actually got a cease and desist letter in the mail once from a parent who was a lawyer.

Whenever she gave a in school suspension the parents would complain that it was cruel to keep their kid away from the other kids, claim it was segregation because of whatever reason(their kid is black, hispanic, catholic, atheist, conservative, liberal, ect). They would also complain that its their tax dollars that are going towards the school so their kid has a right to be in class.

If anything happened to their kid they would demand action be taken against the other kid, they would enforce the zero tolerance policies, however when it came about that it was their child that did something wrong it all of a sudden became taking punishing too far to use the zero tolerance policy against their child. That their child was just joking and/or it was accident, funny how it was just joking/accident when it happened to their child.

Parents want action taken against those who would do anything bad to their child however when it comes to their child they can do nothing bad themselves. Its the parents that created this mess.

I should add my friend taught in a public school, so I have no clue how private schools are.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:52 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDSUBison View Post
I have a friend who taught middle school, she ended up quitting because of the discipline problems the kids had.

Whenever she gave a detention parents would complain about having to pick up the kid after school, how the kid didnt get the bus ride home and how they had to take their time and money to come get the child. How the school had no right to this to their kid. She got threatened several times by parents, not physical threats but threats to sue the school and herself, she actually got a cease and desist letter in the mail once from a parent who was a lawyer.

Whenever she gave a in school suspension the parents would complain that it was cruel to keep their kid away from the other kids, claim it was segregation because of whatever reason(their kid is black, hispanic, catholic, atheist, conservative, liberal, ect). They would also complain that its their tax dollars that are going towards the school so their kid has a right to be in class.

If anything happened to their kid they would demand action be taken against the other kid, they would enforce the zero tolerance policies, however when it came about that it was their child that did something wrong it all of a sudden became taking punishing too far to use the zero tolerance policy against their child. That their child was just joking and/or it was accident, funny how it was just joking/accident when it happened to their child.

Parents want action taken against those who would do anything bad to their child however when it comes to their child they can do nothing bad themselves. Its the parents that created this mess.

I should add my friend taught in a public school, so I have no clue how private schools are.
Yeah, people suck in general.

With the first issue though; I think detention (after school) is an outdated disciplinary tool and a throwback from when there was usually one parent around to pick up a kid, kids lived very close to schools, and it was safe to walk home. Many of those things are just not true anymore so I can see how afterschool detention simply screws up all sorts of things.

The arguments against in school suspension though, are just ridiculous and have no merit. Sounds like a bunch of parents who think their child can do no wrong. I've met them, plenty of them.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:31 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:

How does this relate to the article I posted?

Students arrested for throwing spitballs, lollipops - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Sure there are kids who don't behave and parents who enable that sort of behavior. But does most of that behavior justify police involvement?

Old 02-13-2013, 02:15 PM

168 posts, read 335,699 times
Because in my opinion parental involvment is needed to teach a child discipline. It is not the school systems responsibility alone to teach children discipline, schools can only do so much and only go so far. If a parent is not going to teach their kids discipline then who is going to? If teachers are getting threatened by parents for even trying to discipline them such as the example I provided then where at all are the kids going to be taught discipline? Parents refuse to in some cases, teachers cant discipline kids for fear of being sued by parents or fired when parents cry they have gone too far so what are teachers and school systems going to do?

As for your article, they are guilty of assault, just look at the definition of assault.

In criminal and tort law, an act, usually consisting of a threat or attempt to inflict bodily injury upon another person, coupled with the apparent present ability to succeed in carrying out the threat or the attempt if not prevented, that causes the person to have a reasonable fear or apprehension of immediate harmful or offensive contact. No intent to cause battery or the fear or apprehension is required so long as the victim is placed in reasonable apprehension or fear. No actual physical injury is needed to establish an assault, but if there is any physical contact, the act constitutes both an assault and a battery.

What is the defense for not pressing charges in the case of spitballs? Have the school discipline the child, the parents then decide to take legal action against the school system? Even if the school system wins it takes away resources that schools dont have and to put it frank should be spent on the students not lawyers.

If the school does not report the situation to the police schools also have to face the possibility that the parents of the victims will take legal action against the school, especially if there is a zero tolerance policy. Its a lose lose situation for the schools, get sued by parents if you discipline their children, get sued by parents if you dont enforce your zero tolerance policy. Public schools have their hands tied.

We live in a different era from when I grew up and most likely yourself(I dont know your age). Todays society schools have to worry about lawsuits, teachers can not discipline in the same way as they did 20 years ago. Also there is no cure all for this problems, kids are very different and there is not one thing anyone can do to solve the problem.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:48 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
Quote:
Because in my opinion parental involvment is needed to teach a child discipline. It is not the school systems responsibility alone to teach children discipline, schools can only do so much and only go so far. If a parent is not going to teach their kids discipline then who is going to? If teachers are getting threatened by parents for even trying to discipline them such as the example I provided then where at all are the kids going to be taught discipline? Parents refuse to in some cases, teachers cant discipline kids for fear of being sued by parents or fired when parents cry they have gone too far so what are teachers and school systems going to do?

As for your article, they are guilty of assault, just look at the definition of assault.

In criminal and tort law, an act, usually consisting of a threat or attempt to inflict bodily injury upon another person, coupled with the apparent present ability to succeed in carrying out the threat or the attempt if not prevented, that causes the person to have a reasonable fear or apprehension of immediate harmful or offensive contact. No intent to cause battery or the fear or apprehension is required so long as the victim is placed in reasonable apprehension or fear. No actual physical injury is needed to establish an assault, but if there is any physical contact, the act constitutes both an assault and a battery.

What is the defense for not pressing charges in the case of spitballs? Have the school discipline the child, the parents then decide to take legal action against the school system? Even if the school system wins it takes away resources that schools dont have and to put it frank should be spent on the students not lawyers.

If the school does not report the situation to the police schools also have to face the possibility that the parents of the victims will take legal action against the school, especially if there is a zero tolerance policy. Its a lose lose situation for the schools, get sued by parents if you discipline their children, get sued by parents if you dont enforce your zero tolerance policy. Public schools have their hands tied.

We live in a different era from when I grew up and most likely yourself(I dont know your age). Todays society schools have to worry about lawsuits, teachers can not discipline in the same way as they did 20 years ago. Also there is no cure all for this problems, kids are very different and there is not one thing anyone can do to solve the problem.
I am 47. I am from an age where punishments fit crimes. I cannot see any reason to turn a kid into a criminal over a thrown lollipop. It simply makes no sense to me.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
That is absolutely ridiculous! Kids are going to horse around and stuff. A punch on the arm was pretty much a way of saying hello to my friends!
Blame a litigious society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education