Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 11,534 times

Advertisements

Hello guys!
I was asked to make a little research about single- and mixed-sex schools. Can you just give me your thoughts about what advantages and disadvantages have each kind of schools. And which of them is better to study in.
Waiting your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,165,144 times
Many years ago, I read a study indicating that girls did better in girls' schools and boys did better in mixed sex schools. The theory was that boys liked to impress girls, and did really well if they were in a class with girls, but that girls were either distracted, or needed to dumb-down so that they would still be attractive to the guys. lol.

I attended a girls' school for most of my high school life, and for me, the downside was, I didn't really know how to relate to boys as friends. They were mysterious and only for dating!

Old 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM

Thank you. it`s very interesting theory. But don`t you think that when you have been studying
with the same girls for many years since certain time you probably don`t percieve them so seriously? I meen you don`t care at all about impressing them.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM

I don't know, not being a guy. Maybe the theory is garbage, or maybe there is some validity to it. Maybe it's at a subconscious level in that men always perform better with a female audience.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:04 PM

And if there is a choice where to send your child what would you choose mixed-sex or single-sex school? As me it`s would be definatly mixed-sex because I think it`s very important to learn how to communicate with another gender.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:24 PM

Absolutely I would choose (and did choose for my children,) a mixed gender school. Like I mentioned in my first post, I saw no advantage to going to an all girls school. For years I had trouble relating to men as peers/friends. I also had no brothers. I agree it's important to be able to communicate with the other sex. It's hard enough already

Old 03-19-2013, 04:20 PM

168 posts, read 335,555 times
If I had kids and had a choice I would send them to a single sex school, especially for highschool. I guess I wouldnt mind a mixed sex school for elementary school but I would for sure want them in a single sex school during high school.

I personally would of done better in a single sex high school and I know of many cases where both genders would of done better in a single sex school. I myself remember missing a lot of 5th period classes(period after lunch hour) because me and the girlfriend would go out to eat and then go to her house to have sex. I saw my grades suffer in that periods class(biology) and she also saw her grades suffer in the same class. A lot of students in my school ended up missing 4th or 5th period(depended on which hour was your lunch).

I have three cousins by a aunt who all went to a girls only private school and one of them is engaged and works at google and the other two are still in college and none of them had any problems communicating with the other gender. I have talked about it with them and they all really liked going to a all girls school, all three said if they had kids they would send them to a same sex school if they had the chance.

I thought the whole separate gender school was stupid growing up until I spoke with my three cousins about it and honestly with the way they have turned out. Then I thought of all the time I skipped school just so I could fool around with girls.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:11 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,907,200 times
I believe that a mixed sex school works well for elementary school. In middle school, I think single sex schools (or single sex classes in a mixed gender school) works better.

Some research
NASSPE: Research > Single-Sex vs. Coed: The Evidence

Quote:
Researchers at Stetson University in Florida completed a three-year pilot project comparing single-sex classrooms with coed classrooms at Woodward Avenue Elementary School, a nearby neighborhood public school. For example, students in the 4th grade at Woodward were assigned either to single-sex or coed classrooms. All relevant parameters were matched: the class sizes were all the same, the demographics were the same, all teachers had the same training in what works and what doesn't work, etc. On the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test), here were the results:
Percentage of students scoring proficient on the FCAT

boys in coed classes: 37% scored proficient
girls in coed classes: 59% scored proficient
girls in single-sex classes: 75% scored proficient
boys in single-sex classes: 86% scored proficient.
Remember, these students were all learning the same curriculum in the same school. And, this school "mainstreams" students who are learning-disabled, or who have ADHD etc. Many of those boys who scored proficient in the all-boys classes had previously been labeled "ADHD" or "ESE" in coed classes.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,617 times
Researchers at Stetson University in Florida completed a three-year pilot project comparing single-sex classrooms with coed classrooms at Woodward Avenue Elementary School, a nearby neighborhood public school. For example, students in the 4th grade at Woodward were assigned either to single-sex or coed classrooms. All relevant parameters were matched: the class sizes were all the same, the demographics were the same, all teachers had the same training in what works and what doesn't work, etc. On the FCAT (Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test), here were the results:
Percentage of students scoring proficient on the FCAT

boys in coed classes: 37% scored proficient
girls in coed classes: 59% scored proficient
girls in single-sex classes: 75% scored proficient
boys in single-sex classes: 86% scored proficient.
Remember, these students were all learning the same curriculum in the same school. And, this school "mainstreams" students who are learning-disabled, or who have ADHD etc. Many of those boys who scored proficient in the all-boys classes had previously been labeled "ADHD" or "ESE" in coed classes.

I suspected this was the case. I went to an all male military academy and noticed a remarkable difference in an all male environment.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,616,432 times
I've been a public school student my whole life and all I have to say is I do NOT think we were meant to be in mixed-sex schools. The reason these students are fighting and killing each other is over the opposite sex. It all comes back to that. No matter what the situation. And also it's no wonder why all these girls are getting pregnant and half the student body is catching STDs. Your putting hormone enraged teenagers of the opposite sex together in one school building in close quarters. With clueless parents these days and no restrictions or real discipline or morals and no consequences, that's a recipe for disaster. When they are single-sex, they learn the proper way to conduct themselves as male and female, they learn to get along with each and respect each other, they learn to never fight over the opposite sex or fight for their attention, and they learn how to establish positive communication and friendship with their fellow sex. I think it was a big mistake to have mixed-sex classrooms and schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education