Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 AM

315 posts, read 564,067 times

Advertisements

I go to Community College, and I am currently a general Science major. I plan to transfer somewhere for Natural Resources or Environmental Science or something similar.

My problem is I am AWFUL at math.

Let me say, I truthfully don't even hate it. I have a "fearful" respect for it, you could say. I withdrew from the class I am in now LAST semester because I was not having it. I failed every single test miserably. This semester, I have a MUCH better teacher and I have studied tons more. My grades improved dramatically. I have failed one quiz and they drop that grade anyway. I received a 84 on the first test which is 10% of our grade, a 75% on test 2 which is worth 20%.

My rant is about the test I took last night. It was also worth 20% but I don't think I did as well. I feel like crying. I thought studying for 8+ hours would have helped. I don't truthfully know what I got but I think I may have done poorly. My teacher said he would e-mail me my test score when he grades them. I CANNOT fail this class again. We still have one more test worth 30% of our grade so I still have that I suppose but I am just nervous now.

I don't know what it about Math and me. I can do Biology, physical science, even chemistry and physics really well but when it comes to math I am stumped. I only need to go up to Pre-Calc. Stats is more important in this field anyway. I plan on taking Stats at the transfer school because it will not transfer from this college as anymore than an elective.

Any words of encouragement? Any other Science major go through this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 09:06 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGG1659 View Post
I don't know what it about Math and me. I can do Biology, physical science, even chemistry and physics really well but when it comes to math I am stumped.
But most of physics IS math... and advanced math at that!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,913,732 times
I don't understand how you can be good at Physics and Chemistry without being able to do math.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:19 AM

I don't understand it either! I took both in High School and received A's while always receiving C's or B's in Algebra. Granted, I have yet to take Chem or Physics in College so that may change. I was in the regular classes in HS Physics and Chem, but we certainly weren't babied, we actually had to understand it. I never went passed Gen. Physics or Chemistry, but I don't have to take anything more than that. All I remember of High School physics was that we were given formulas, which I can easily work with. Physics and Chemistry always seemed logical to me, math never did. I also know they offer Non-calculus Physics at my college.

If someone told me I needed to take Organic Chemistry, I'd probably cry though. Like I said, I am sure high school chem/physics is different than that of College courses, but I am just basing it off my understanding and the ease I had with it in High School. I had to go back and look but my grade in HS chem was an A- and Physics was a B+.

Also note, I do much better in Earth/Environmental Science related courses more than anything else.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:56 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
There are people who have weak skills at math THEORY, but can do math quite respectably when it is APPLIED math in a particular field. Math becomes understandable and doable when its connected to something, which is why people who "aren't good" at math can sometime do quite well at finance, engineering, computer science and similar fields. When its not purely theoretical math or stupid word problem, but math that's actually ABOUT something, then the need and desire to understand the math/numbers/formulas involved bcomes more urgent and these people will spend the time it takes to master what's involved. It won't happen with everybody but I have seen it happen.

The trouble is that in college the theoretical stuff is too often a prerequisite for the applied stuff and not the other way around, so people an get very frustrated and angry when they wouldn't have if they could just do the math they needed for their field. OP, I feel your pain.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
There are people who have weak skills at math THEORY, but can do math quite respectably when it is APPLIED math in a particular field. Math becomes understandable and doable when its connected to something, which is why people who "aren't good" at math can sometime do quite well at finance, engineering, computer science and similar fields. When its not purely theoretical math or stupid word problem, but math that's actually ABOUT something, then the need and desire to understand the math/numbers/formulas involved bcomes more urgent and these people will spend the time it takes to master what's involved. It won't happen with everybody but I have seen it happen.

The trouble is that in college the theoretical stuff is too often a prerequisite for the applied stuff and not the other way around, so people an get very frustrated and angry when they wouldn't have if they could just do the math they needed for their field. OP, I feel your pain.
See, I never thought of it this way, I felt as if I had some sort of mental block or learning disability, but this makes perfect sense.

Thanks, I know all I need to do is get it over with in college and that's that, but it is just frustrating now. I guess I'll be able to laugh it off in 10 years.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:17 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
Math was never my strong subject either, don't feel alone. Try not to get upset about the result of the test unless you know how it actually turned out (I know, easier said than done). College/tech school math was easier for me than high school math, believe it or not (maybe by then it had a chance to "sink in"). Good luck to you and don't let it lick you.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:06 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
You might be in a math class that is too advanced for you. When I went back to college, I had to take a mathematics placement test. The results indicated that I was ready for college algebra. After the first class or two, I knew I was completely lost. I swallowed my pride, withdrew, and took a lower level math class - one that was on par with high school algebra. I found a good instructor and was able to understand much better. From that point forward, I was able to get almost straight A's in my math classes. Having the foundational material is absolutely essential.

Another reason adults may not do well in math classes is that they do not know how to properly study.

Try this:

Read the sections that the instructor is going to teach prior to class and work through the examples. As you come across problems that you do not understand, write down your questions so that you have them ready during that part of the lecture. Often the instructor is teaching so fast that you barely have enough time to think about what questions you have until later when you are doing your homework. Most community colleges have a tutoring center if you think you need help with the preparation.

Do you purchase the solutions manual that goes with your text? I could not have made it through math had I not had it. I did my homework twice. The first time I used the solutions manual to limp through the homework and the second time my goal was to work through every problem without peeking at the steps. Always do your homework as soon as it is possible after class.

I became a pest to my instructors. If I did not understand how to do any of the work, I camped out at their door waiting for them to show up for their office hours...be prepared for eye rolls - but, who cares - you will never see them again.

Math is a language and you will be well served by repeating the lessons until you have mastery. Very few people out there get it without dogged repetition.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:14 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
You might be in a math class that is too advanced for you. When I went back to college, I had to take a mathematics placement test. The results indicated that I was ready for college algebra. After the first class or two, I knew I was completely lost. I swallowed my pride, withdrew, and took a lower level math class - one that was on par with high school algebra. I found a good instructor and was able to understand much better. From that point forward, I was able to get almost straight A's in my math classes. Having the foundational material is absolutely essential..
I did that too and actually began to love math. I just needed to go at my own pace and I remember that college algebra was brutal.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,483 times
Like with any class, but with me ESPECIALLY for math, I needed to study every day. Since each level of math basically builds on the previous one, you need to have good grasp of the concepts to fully understand the next level.

Studying for 8+ hours may help you remember the details for some tests, but basically you are just teaching yourself to regurgitate answers for a test and not really learning.

I would ask yourself if you are just studying to try to memorize answers for a test or if you are using your time to try and memorize answers for a test.

My first go at Calculus in college I got a C, I retook the class, got together with a study group, I got extra practice work, and talked to the instructor to clarify things, and reread the book when I was not 100% clear. From that point on I got A's in Math. If stats is more important, it is really important to have a solid understanding of math concepts to do well (at least in my opinion)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education