Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:47 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times

Advertisements

Yah, we also do IEPs throughout the year whenever they are due, and then maybe an extra meeting in April or May for transitions if they are going to be going to a new school the next year. My daughter's regular IEP meeting comes up at the end of March, so I'm not sure if we'll get a separate one for transition or just do it all at once.

I don't know how they place kids in the following year's classes, but we don't find out until about 2 weeks before the next school year who their teachers will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 02:21 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Yah, we also do IEPs throughout the year whenever they are due, and then maybe an extra meeting in April or May for transitions if they are going to be going to a new school the next year. My daughter's regular IEP meeting comes up at the end of March, so I'm not sure if we'll get a separate one for transition or just do it all at once.

I don't know how they place kids in the following year's classes, but we don't find out until about 2 weeks before the next school year who their teachers will be.
We don't find out until the week before school starts. It's actually one of the things I find annoying about living where we do. In other systems, we always knew who the teachers were early in the summer when the new packets were mailed out with the PTAs help. My girl scout troops always helped stuff the envelopes when my kids were in school.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:48 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
We don't find out until the week before school starts. It's actually one of the things I find annoying about living where we do. In other systems, we always knew who the teachers were early in the summer when the new packets were mailed out with the PTAs help. My girl scout troops always helped stuff the envelopes when my kids were in school.
School stars the day after Labor Day. Our parents find out at Open House, the Thursday before Labor Day. Teachers find out earlier that week.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Teachers can't win no matter what they do! The same day I read this thread, a friend of mine complained to me about her fifth grader having homework over the last few days of the school year.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:03 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Teachers can't win no matter what they do! The same day I read this thread, a friend of mine complained to me about her fifth grader having homework over the last few days of the school year.
When I posted about what goes on at my children's school in the last 2 weeks it was not meant as a criticism of the teachers, but more of a criticism of the system overall. My point was, why not just have school END and let summer start very shortly after testing is over, vs mandatory attendance when they are not doing much besides field trips and movies.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
When I posted about what goes on at my children's school in the last 2 weeks it was not meant as a criticism of the teachers, but more of a criticism of the system overall. My point was, why not just have school END and let summer start very shortly after testing is over, vs mandatory attendance when they are not doing much besides field trips and movies.
Two reasons -

The state mandates the number of days school must be in session (and 180 is not excessive - if you look at other countries, many of them are in school for more days per year).

The school receives its funding based on the number of students who are in school on those mandated days. Schools lose money when students do not attend.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:38 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,812,053 times
Honestly if I feel my kids have been taught well all school year then I don't care at all about the last 2 weeks. What, it's been 7-8 months of solid work? I think everyone involved has earned a little bit of a breather. Let them have a little fun on their last few days with their friends.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:10 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
The problem is that you just can't do that.

First off, I think the two weeks is a huge exaggeration. 10 school days? Seriously? Secondly, in my state, the state testing is done in March, before spring break. Thirdly, I was talking with a teacher friend once about this and she said no matter what the length of the school year was, you'd have to spend time at the beginning getting started, and time at the end wrapping up, that's just how it is. If you teach till the last minute, then what?

Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,744,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The problem is that you just can't do that.

First off, I think the two weeks is a huge exaggeration. 10 school days? Seriously? Secondly, in my state, the state testing is done in March, before spring break. Thirdly, I was talking with a teacher friend once about this and she said no matter what the length of the school year was, you'd have to spend time at the beginning getting started, and time at the end wrapping up, that's just how it is. If you teach till the last minute, then what?
Who is exaggerating, and what is being exaggerated? I think most people understand when you say "weeks" and you are talking about school that it is not meant to be fourteen days, but rather two school weeks (M-F).

In our state, the testing is done and finished up 2 weeks before school is over. Obviously a different situation than yours.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Who is exaggerating, and what is being exaggerated? I think most people understand when you say "weeks" and you are talking about school that it is not meant to be fourteen days, but rather two school weeks (M-F).

In our state, the testing is done and finished up 2 weeks before school is over. Obviously a different situation than yours.
I wasn't questioning the number of days, I was stating it. I can't believe the schools are "wasting" 10 days. Isn't there more teaching that can be done after the testing? When do the HS students have their finals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education