Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 07:10 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times

Advertisements

I'm curious what people's thoughts are about this as I've never socialized with my kids' teachers before. Now we live in a neighborhood that includes the elementary school, and a few teachers live there, as well. We were recently at a block party and my 2nd grader's teacher was drinking beer. I was somewhat surprised because many of her current and former students were there. I tend to be straight-laced, so maybe I was off-base thinking it wasn't appropriate. What is the norm in this type of situation?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
An adult was behaving in a legal manner on her own time. Straight laced or not, what's the issue?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
An adult was behaving in a legal manner on her own time. Straight laced or not, what's the issue?
Yes, of course she wasn't doing anything illegal. That wasn't the question. The question was whether others think it's appropriate for a teacher to drink alcholic drinks in front of ones students. I was somewhat taken aback, but I tend to be conservative, so I was wondering what others thought - especially those who are teachers.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:26 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,736,838 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, the teacher isn't doing anything illegal. You are over thinking it. If the person was noticeably drunk in front of his/her student, that would be a different story.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:27 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
+1. A non-issue.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I'm curious what people's thoughts are about this as I've never socialized with my kids' teachers before. Now we live in a neighborhood that includes the elementary school, and a few teachers live there, as well. We were recently at a block party and my 2nd grader's teacher was drinking beer. I was somewhat surprised because many of her current and former students were there. I tend to be straight-laced, so maybe I was off-base thinking it wasn't appropriate. What is the norm in this type of situation?
I don't see a problem. Do you and your family drink around your kids? That sets a worse example than a
Teacher. Next you'll be telling us the teacher also smoked cigarettes, ate fattening foods, and had sex outside of marriage! Oh heavens to Betsy!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,815,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I don't see a problem. Do you and your family drink around your kids? That sets a worse example than a
Teacher. Next you'll be telling us the teacher also smoked cigarettes, ate fattening foods, and had sex outside of marriage! Oh heavens to Betsy!
If the teacher is sucking on a flask of whiskey while teaching then I see a serious problem...or blowing a joint in the car on the way to work...Off duty...they are their own person- and what the writer suggests is that the teacher hide behind the house to have a beer when he is not working- in other words be dishonest? If I get drunk even in front of my adult kids...they think I am disgusting...but- they are grown...and I am old enough to do what I please...so there!

Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I am a non-drinker, so no, I do not drink in front of my kids, nor do I smoke. But you've got me on eating fattening foods in front of them. Seriously, I wasn't making a big deal about it. It just caught me off guard when I saw it, and was wondering what the "norm" was. Apparently, no one thinks it's a big deal. Thanks for responding.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
She was having a beer with her peers in her neighborhood. She was socializing with her friends. Had she been sloppy drunk it would have been inappropriate regardless of her profession, but it doesn't sound that that is the case. Maybe you and your family should skip further neighborhood gatherings if it bothers you.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
...Off duty...they are their own person- and what the writer suggests is that the teacher hide behind the house to have a beer when he is not working- in other words be dishonest?
I did not suggest any such thing. I asked whether it was approiate for the teacher to drink in front of her students outside of school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education