Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 09:42 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times

Advertisements

Would it be better if school supplies were bought by school? ..... with our tax dollars?

Every year I see parents struggling buying school supplies
Driving to the store, dealing with crowds, dealing with lines, etc, etc, etc.

The reason i ask this question is because I happen to work for a big company
Big company = big discounts
Why not just let the school districts buy all the school supplies at 50% of the cost (buy by bulk) getting it all shipped to the school and making life easier for parents.

Am I the only one that has thought about this?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:47 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,247 times
The PTO or PTA of many schools do this. Then they sell it to the parents at cost. It is definitely worth it.

I worked in an inner city school district in the Houston Area and the district gave each grade level money for supplies. ( pencils,paper,construction paper, spirals, etc...) they used Title 1 money for books, computers, etc.... Then they had money to provide supplies.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:38 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Would it be better if school supplies were bought by school? ..... with our tax dollars?

Why not just let the school districts buy all the school supplies at 50% of the cost (buy by bulk) getting it all shipped to the school and making life easier for parents.

I think that's a good idea and I'm sure that many districts would do this... if they had the budget for it.

With the increasing cost of things - technology, books, maintanence, gas for buses, utilities for buildings, etc. - and the unwillingness of many community voters to increase property taxes for increased funding, it's becoming increasingly harder to do just this. We used to use the funds from drink machines to buy paper for our copiers, but since most have been taken out due to... well, you know... we've been limited to 1000 copies a month. (that's 500 pages front and back, not 1000 pieces of paper). If we as a system could furnish this stuff for the students (especially sicen most of our schools are Title I) I truly believe we'd do it.

I personally think our free, public education should be just that - free. But then reality kicks in.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:01 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

No because like everything else, the budget would get cut. We would never get what we need.

What I've seen work is for parents to supply materials for the class. If those who can afford more buy more that takes care of those who can't. Unfortunately, I teach high school so no one buys anything for my classes. I'm on my own for Kleenex, hand sanitizer, paper, pencils...

Old 08-15-2013, 08:53 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
No because like everything else, the budget would get cut. We would never get what we need.

What I've seen work is for parents to supply materials for the class. If those who can afford more buy more that takes care of those who can't. Unfortunately, I teach high school so no one buys anything for my classes. I'm on my own for Kleenex, hand sanitizer, paper, pencils...
When my kids were in high school, they had lists from each teacher, just like middle school and elem. school. Some teachers requested these and some didn't. It's not like buying school supplies stops when they are in high school.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
No. It will be wasted and not taken care of.

Take that box of tissues. Why do kids need 5 tissues at a time to blow their nose ?
If the parents can afford family cell phone plans and iPods they can afford $1 notebooks.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:08 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,255 times
It does seem like a good idea, but unfortunately, you will see a larger number of student not valuing the items because now it is an entitlement. I see this a lot with workbooks supplied by the school. They (obviously, not all) think nothing of losing it. I used to supply pencils for kids who didn't bring them, but I could see that when it was freely given, I was supplying the same kids with pencils all the time. When I quit giving them pencils, they miraculously would bring their own.

I required a specific type of notebook set up a specific way and would go purchase the 600 of them at the beginning of the school year when they were on sale for a $0.15 each. Students used to be able to reimburse me, but as of late, the process of collecting money from students has become so onerous that I quit doing it. It's unfortunate too, because it was a win-win for everyone.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:41 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,389,322 times
It would be good if the school sold it to the parents at cost.

Unfortunately, my son's new elementary school charges us $60 and provides the supplies, and there's no WAY it's costing them that much per kid. For third-graders???? We are totally getting ripped off.

I'm a couponer and I buy supplies for my seventh-grader, who has a major workload, with two foreign lanuages and multiple heavy duty binders and special math paper and on and on and I maybe will spend $10 cash when all is said and done. There are *that* many deals out there at this time of year. $60 is freaking highway robbery. Grr.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,549,746 times
My school is private and does provide most supplies. They are kept under lock and key, literally, and doled out like a controlled substance, too...like it's a prison commissary or something.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:59 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

My child's high school teachers ask for items on a wish list available on their websites. I am sure there are many parents who don't send in things, but I do, and I know many parents who do as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education