Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 03:55 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,553,518 times

Advertisements

Public schools are now routinely underminding the values that many parents are trying teach their kids at home. Many aren't even preparing kids for the type of economy we have now. I don't even have kids yet, and I can see that happening. I have long belived in the public school system, because it has set the U.S. apart from so many other countries where education is just for those with the money to afford it. Education is the key to a better quality of life, and every American should have access to quality education. If public schools cannot provide that, then parents need to have other options. Its just that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 04:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,127,203 times
I think this thread should be merged with this thread.

And just to give you some background information, I spent all of grades K-12 in the public school system, and I'm about to enter a public university (so I don't have kids yet, but my experience is recent)

In any case, I don't know if it was mentioned, but it depends on the specific issue regarding the public schools. In some schools, the issue is that the child's physical safety is at stake (if the school has a lot of fights, gang activity, etc). It's very difficult to get the initial cycle started to attract parents with resources to that school. You'd probably have to have a sort of police state in the school for a few years, and then hopefully those parents would be willing to send their kids to that school.

In some schools, they may not really have a problem with violence, but you may have disruptive students (like in my middle & high schools) That's less of a problem because the types of parents who can afford to send their kids to private school usually have the resources to spend extra time with their child reviewing the material, or hire a tutor for some subjects.

And then in some schools, you may just have low test scores due to ESL students, or other factors. In that case, the solution could just be to have separate classes for intellectually gifted students, so that the slower students don't drag them down, and the teachers can focus on giving the slower students the help they need.

Unfortunately, it requires a lot of investment in terms of effort on the part of the administration, in the hope that it pays off in the future.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:07 PM

411 posts, read 901,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
By Allison Benedikt

You are a bad person if you send your children to private school. Not bad like murderer bad—but bad like ruining-one-of-our-nation’s-most-essential-institutions-in-order-to-get-what’s-best-for-your-kid bad. So, pretty bad.

I am not an education policy wonk: I’m just judgmental. But it seems to me that if every single parent sent every single child to public school, public schools would improve. This would not happen immediately. It could take generations.

Private school vs. public school: Only bad people send their kids to private school. - Slate Magazine
I can't believe the stupidity of some posters on here. This one takes the cake. stupid.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Public schools are now routinely underminding the values that many parents are trying teach their kids at home.
Indeed. One of the primary reasons our children are given the advantage and head start of a private school education.

Since the charter and establishment of the Dept of Education in 1979 and 80 respectively, standardized test scores in public education have declined or stagnated year over year.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Indeed. One of the primary reasons our children are given the advantage and head start of a private school education.

Since the charter and establishment of the Dept of Education in 1979 and 80 respectively, standardized test scores in public education have declined or stagnated year over year.
There has been a dept. of ed since 1867. It has been cabinet level since the Eisenhower admin.
History of the Department of Education

Old 09-02-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
There has been a dept. of ed since 1867. It has been cabinet level since the Eisenhower admin.
History of the Department of Education
A prior Department of Education had been created in 1867, but it was soon demoted to an Office in 1868. Because it was not a Cabinet-level agency, it quickly became a minor bureau of the Department of the Interior. The bureau was transferred in 1939 to the Federal Security Agency, when it was renamed the Office of Education. The Federal Security Agency was upgraded to Cabinet-level status as the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare in 1953.

In 1979, President Carter advocated for creating a cabinet-level Department of Education. The Department of Education Organization Act split the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare into the Department of Education and the Department of Health and Human Services.

The Department of Education Organization Act was signed into law by President Jimmy Carter on October 17, 1979. It began operating on May 4, 1980.

Last edited by MattOTAlex; 09-02-2013 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-02-2013, 11:17 AM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallybalt View Post
There are no two identical public schools and the same can be said with private schools.

The dangers of the school debates in the US is that every private school is different and every public school is different. Are you comparing a large, high achieving public magnet school in an affluent suburb with a smaller Catholic/religious private high school in a working class neighborhood? Or a country club private school with a reputation for sending many students to the Ivies to a run of mill public high school in a middle class suburb?

The possible comparisons go on and on.
Absolutely. I think one of the issues we have with education is that our country is so diverse in population, socioeconomic status, languages spoken, and population density that we cannot compare accurately with other countries.

Ever drive through Northern Arizona or Wyoming? Think about their school offerings vs. a high density area like NYC.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:56 AM

186 posts, read 362,295 times
If you can't afford to raise your kids properly(without pointing gov't guns at taxpayers to force them to help you) then you shouldn't be having kids. It's that simple.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
So education has been a cabinet level issue since 1953, and a stand alone cabinet issue since 1980. There has been federal government involvement in education since 1867.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So education has been a cabinet level issue since 1953, and a stand alone cabinet issue since 1980. There has been federal government involvement in education since 1867.
Sorta.

"Department of Health, Education, and Welfare" established in 1953 as abinet-level. Its focus, charter and mission covered much more than just education.

Carter signed into law a "Department of Education," with a its own charter, as a dedicated Cabinet-level agency in 1979. It became operational in 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education