Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 04:57 PM

457 posts, read 645,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The best teachers in the world will not counter a culture that thrives against education.
Like parts of not only New Mexico but in general all of the U.S. Southwest....to a degree unheard of in the Northeast states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM

796 posts, read 1,842,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Depends on state laws, but generally they get paid at a lower level for the first two years because they are not fully certified. In my last district that translated to almost $15,000 a year lower.
I'm guessing that depends on the state/district. 1st year teachers in my district (TFA/alt cert or traditional cert) get paid exactly the same.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
I'm guessing that depends on the state/district. 1st year teachers in my district (TFA/alt cert or traditional cert) get paid exactly the same.
Yeah, it does depend on the state. That is why people need to check.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:42 AM

919 posts, read 1,690,102 times
Hello everyone! I know this thread is pretty old but I just wanted to update;

My feelings about TFA have remained the same... I think its because of the work that I have done and been exposed to.

As a sophomore I have completed 30 hours of observations and am currently applying for a teachers of tomorrow internships. Starting at the beginning of my junior year I will be student teaching once a week in addition to doing observation hours. This 1 day will translate into 2 for my second semester as a junior and first semester senior before teaching 5x a week.

My school is unique in that we have an avatar lab where classroom lessons and management are practiced, yes I know its not a real classroom but it does give you space to try out techniques of deescalation. The avatars are middle schoolers and can be programmed for difficulty, in the 3/4 the level the students curse you out, yell at their classmates etc, and it is up to you to deescalate the situation.

This same program also now has a Parent avatar which allows students to hold parent teacher conferences.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:48 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Hello everyone! I know this thread is pretty old but I just wanted to update;

My feelings about TFA have remained the same... I think its because of the work that I have done and been exposed to.

As a sophomore I have completed 30 hours of observations and am currently applying for a teachers of tomorrow internships. Starting at the beginning of my junior year I will be student teaching once a week in addition to doing observation hours. This 1 day will translate into 2 for my second semester as a junior and first semester senior before teaching 5x a week.

My school is unique in that we have an avatar lab where classroom lessons and management are practiced, yes I know its not a real classroom but it does give you space to try out techniques of deescalation. The avatars are middle schoolers and can be programmed for difficulty, in the 3/4 the level the students curse you out, yell at their classmates etc, and it is up to you to deescalate the situation.

This same program also now has a Parent avatar which allows students to hold parent teacher conferences.
Just as long as you know real students, and their parents for that matter, don't react as predictably as avatars. I do think it is a very, very interesting concept and would love to see such a lab in action.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:01 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I'd have to see the simulation lab in action to know what I think of it, but I DO know I like the idea of, as a junior, student teaching once, and then twice, a week in addition to completing observation hours. I think, had that option been available to me, my ultimate experience of full-time student teaching as a senior would have been more smooth. I did do observations and shadowing as a junior, but I think that easing into actually leading classes during that time would have been a wise way to practice.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:09 PM

Overall, I don't think that a lab simulation is a horrible way to practice classroom management skills and parent interaction skills. When I was trained, we did the more low-tech, (but often probably more dramatic) approach of roleplays with other education students in the role of "disruptive student," etc.

I feel like roleplaying, whether with people or via a computer simulation, has value in that it gets you thinking on your feet about what your options are in various situations, but ultimately, nothing really prepares you for these things except actually doing them. It's good practice, but even practice only helps so much.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:49 PM

919 posts, read 1,690,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Just as long as you know real students, and their parents for that matter, don't react as predictably as avatars. I do think it is a very, very interesting concept and would love to see such a lab in action.
I know, however, even if it doesn't prepare me for a "Real" classroom, I think it's good practice for thinking on your feet. I'll never forget, one of my friends started out with a simple question, and a child in the "class" (CJ) said something rude to another student. My friend politley asked if she would apologize, and when the avatar said no, my friend said "ok, but I would like to speak to you after class" and maybe a minute or so later, the girl said "here's your apology" and stuck up her 2 middle fingers, so it is fun to play around with.

TeachLivE

Here is the website for this specific technology.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM

I have been in classrooms where that exact situation escalated into a desk getting thrown, so, yeah, the simulations only help so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education