Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 04:59 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am highly educated in speaking Ebonics, I got my PHD in being Murrrciannnnn. I wish all these educated Europeans would teach me how to be sophisticated.
Sophistry came from the Ancient Greeks.

Sophists merely told complex lies!

https://books.google.com/books?id=vN...0liars&f=false

psik
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 05:03 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Unless they're going to work in fianance, they probably don't NEED to know what "net worth" is, especially in HS. I think most teens understand depreciation. What makes you think none of this is covered in a rudimentary economics class?

You're too into youtube; I don't watch that stuff.
Yeah, the people in Finance want the workers to be stupid.

I had one accountant admit that he didn't mind mandatory accounting in high school as long as it was not done for another six years. AFTER HE RETIRED!

ROFL

psik

PS - Yeah, Romeo and Juliet is suddenly worthless if it is on YouTube.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
I don't think I even heard the term "net worth" until I was in my 30s and we had money to invest. Financial stuff changes all the time. When I was in HS, if you were lucky, you had a pension. Now, no one has pensions, they have 401Ks. These had not even been "invented" when I graduated, even from college.

You can watch "Romeo and Juliet" a lot of different ways.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Finance is part of Common Core folks.
It's part of the Math curriculum now and will be taught in all grades.
And it will be tested on state tests.

In HS I took Business Math. It was an elective (senior year only).
Full year and we learned a whole lot including basic accounting, stock market stuff, budgets, etc..
It was a most excellent class. I took it at the same time I took Trig (with no calculator even )

Old 05-02-2015, 06:25 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Finance is part of Common Core folks.
It's part of the Math curriculum now and will be taught in all grades.
And it will be tested on state tests.

In HS I took Business Math. It was an elective (senior year only).
Full year and we learned a whole lot including basic accounting, stock market stuff, budgets, etc..
It was a most excellent class. I took it at the same time I took Trig (with no calculator even )
Yes it is and will be. I find this interesting though. I never took a single class on finance yet I knew how loans worked and had the common sense to not take one how for more than I could afford. I don't recall my parents "teaching" me this either. I got D's in math yet somehow I could do the math. MY money was important to me.

The only thing I remember my parents teaching me was about saving. My father was always telling me to put money into saving first and never to touch it. Of course that went in one ear and out the other, lol. When I took out my first car loan, I can't say I concerned myself with the interest rate or how much I'd pay back in total but I sure was concerned with how big the payment would be compared to my income. Ditto with my first house payment. 11.25% interest but I bought a small house I could afford the payment on. Life has taught me a thing or two about finance. Honestly, I don't think it would have done me any good to have taught me this in high school. I really don't remember much of what I was taught in any individual class in high school. If memory serves me correctly we forget 95% of what we learn. What is needed here is the ability to think logically not being taught about finance. I had the logical reasoning skills to decide if a loan was a good/bad deal when I was a teenager and bought my first stereo on a payment plan.

Unfortunately, logical reasoning is a skill today's youth does not have. They've grown up being able to look up anything on Google any time they want so they don't think they need to store anything between their ears. The problem with this is you can't think about what's in Google. It has to be IN YOUR HEAD to think about it. They don't practice thinking. They don't make connections. They actually think the person who finds the answer first on Google is smarter than the rest. What we really need is a an app that tells them whether a loan is a good or bad idea. THAT might help them. I have come to the conclusion that the extra appendage these kids have grown up with (their phones) has changed the way they think compared to the older generation. They need to be told what to think and it has to be accessible on their phones or computers. They are so easily lead it scares me. An extreme minority with the right social media and/or internet presence could lead them all down the garden path and they wouldn't realize it even as the axe fell on their neck. Their world is very different than the world I grew up in. I wish I had the answer here. I wish having a finance class in high school was the answer but the problem is much much deeper than that.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-02-2015 at 06:38 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes it is and will be. I find this interesting though. I never took a single class on finance yet I knew how loans worked and had the common sense to not take one how for more than I could afford. I don't recall my parents "teaching" me this either. I got D's in math yet somehow I could do the math. MY money was important to me.

The only thing I remember my parents teaching me was about saving. My father was always telling me to put money into saving first and never to touch it. Of course that went in one ear and out the other, lol. When I took out my first car loan, I can't say I concerned myself with the interest rate or how much I'd pay back in total but I sure was concerned with how big the payment would be compared to my income. Ditto with my first house payment. 11.25% interest but I bought a small house I could afford the payment on. Life has taught me a thing or two about finance. Honestly, I don't think it would have done me any good to have taught me this in high school. I really don't remember much of what I was taught in any individual class in high school. If memory serves me correctly we forget 95% of what we learn. What is needed here is the ability to think logically not being taught about finance. I had the logical reasoning skills to decide if a loan was a good/bad deal when I was a teenager and bought my first stereo on a payment plan.

Unfortunately, logical reasoning is a skill today's youth does not have. They've grown up being able to look up anything on Google any time they want so they don't think they need to store anything between their ears. The problem with this is you can't think about what's in Google. It has to be IN YOUR HEAD to think about it. They don't practice thinking. They don't make connections. They actually think the person who finds the answer first on Google is smarter than the rest. What we really need is a an app that tells them whether a loan is a good or bad idea. THAT might help them. I have come to the conclusion that the extra appendage these kids have grown up with (their phones) has changed the way they think compared to the older generation. They need to be told what to think and it has to be accessible on their phones or computers. They are so easily lead it scares me. An extreme minority with the right social media and/or internet presence could lead them all down the garden path and they wouldn't realize it even as the axe fell on their neck. Their world is very different than the world I grew up in. I wish I had the answer here. I wish having a finance class in high school was the answer but the problem is much much deeper than that.
You cannot "teach" critical thinking. Kids have to develop it themselves.
In today's society there's not many activities that require critical thinking.

I did some reading on gamification and math.

Many of us older folks grew up playing board games.
Great fun but under the covers it taught us to think and strategize.
None of my tier 3 students played board games/card games at home or with their friends.

With my tier 3 students I taught them how to play Crazy 8's.
I modified the rules somewhat to fit within the time constraints. They get to play the last 5 minutes of each session.

Crazy 8's, from a Math perspective, involves patterns and a variable.
Kids have to learn to not only recognize the patterns but be able to rearrange them in order to win.

A lot of the soft skills cannot be taught. You can show them the way but it's inside their heads that they have to develop it.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You cannot "teach" critical thinking. Kids have to develop it themselves.
In today's society there's not many activities that require critical thinking.

I did some reading on gamification and math.

Many of us older folks grew up playing board games.
Great fun but under the covers it taught us to think and strategize.
None of my tier 3 students played board games/card games at home or with their friends.

With my tier 3 students I taught them how to play Crazy 8's.
I modified the rules somewhat to fit within the time constraints. They get to play the last 5 minutes of each session.

Crazy 8's, from a Math perspective, involves patterns and a variable.
Kids have to learn to not only recognize the patterns but be able to rearrange them in order to win.

A lot of the soft skills cannot be taught. You can show them the way but it's inside their heads that they have to develop it.
THIS is the problem. You are correct that you cannot teach reasoning skills. You learn them by being forced to use them but you cannot think about what isn't in your head to think about. The attitude today is that kids don't need to learn facts because they can look them up on their phones and always will be able to, however you cannot think about what is in your phone. You are now limited to the connections you stumble upon when you google instead of the mind expanding ones you can come up with on your own. As a teacher, I get pounded on by parents, students and admins if I try to get my students to think because I didn't "teach" (tell) them the answer. I find this very sad.

You're right on board games. I probably learned more about finance playing Monopoly than IRL.

Today kids grow up being entertained. They google answers instead of trying to figure them out. It never ceases to amaze me that they actually think that the person who FINDS the answer first on Google is the smartest. They don't know a good answer from a bad on Google. Earlier this year in three different classes I had a group pull the same wrong graph from the same website. Parents and students alike cried foul when I marked them down (they were supposed to make their own graph anyway). How were THEY supposed to know it was wrong? Um...How about looking at the data and the graph and noticing that they don't match. They google things and then run with it right or wrong.

Something else I've noticed is they scan what they find and pull what they want. They don't even read the entire entry. The name of the game is get AN answer as fast as you can and then forget it. They don't remember what they were taught last week let alone last year. They expect to be retaught anything they need today that they were taught in the past. They don't make connections and their parents are the first to defend them if I ask them to. I'll be handing back a lab on Monday where every single student missed one question. It was an application question. The parents and students alike will cry foul saying I didn't teach it (meaning I didn't hand them the answer). This happens almost every time I give an application question. I still give them even though I'm going to catch hell for it. You SHOULD have to use your brain in school. The test taking skill I hate the most is "guess and check". Talk about avoiding THINKING.

ITA agree on board games and strategizing. They play fast action video games that require little strategizing. I'll bet their eye hand coordination rocks it out for what it's worth.

BTW, I keep tavern puzzles on my desk in my math classroom. They require spacial logical reasoning. Some kids play them until they get them. Others just whine because I won't show them the answer. I need to find more games that require reasoning like Master Mind for my math kids to play at the end of the hour. You have something there with board/card games. They do teach a lot of reasoning. I am glad to see that multiplayer strategy games like Risk are making a come back online. Maybe I need to start looking the other way when I see the Risk board on a phone/ipad....

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 05-02-2015 at 09:33 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
BTW, I keep tavern puzzles on my desk in my math classroom. They require spacial logical reasoning. Some kids play them until they get them. Others just whine because I won't show them the answer. I need to find more games that require reasoning like Master Mind for my math kids to play at the end of the hour. You have something there with board/card games. They do teach a lot of reasoning. I am glad to see that multiplayer strategy games like Risk are making a come back online. Maybe I need to start looking the other way when I see the Risk board on a phone/ipad....
This is a good one. Kids have to figure out the rules to advance to the next level.
Good at all ages and they help each other out by pointing out the patterns/differences that let you get to the next level.

A few decks of cards. Get them off the computer and thinking and talking to each other.

Duck - Play it now at Coolmath-Games.com

Old 05-04-2015, 05:09 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiclover View Post
I don't really understand all the hate our education system gets. If you remove the lowest 25% of schools from our country and others, then compared the countries again, we rank near the top. Sure, our system has its issues, but when you look at how many troubled kids and non-native English speakers we have it makes more sense. The types of students that are tolerated in the USA simply wouldn't be tolerated in other countries. The kids would be kicked out or put into some sort of school not intended to prepare students for college, such as a technical school. The sooner we get over this idea of "no child left behind" and all kids are equal the better off we will be. We have the best universities in the world, hands down. If we placed children by ability in high school the way we do in college or simply kick the troublemakers out of school, the quality of our education would skyrocket.
Simply not true.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:11 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Interesting. I have found that essentially every aspect of life requires critical thinking ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education