Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 10:01 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times

Advertisements

It takes a village to ruin education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 01:35 AM

121 posts, read 101,689 times
I don't really understand all the hate our education system gets. If you remove the lowest 25% of schools from our country and others, then compared the countries again, we rank near the top. Sure, our system has its issues, but when you look at how many troubled kids and non-native English speakers we have it makes more sense. The types of students that are tolerated in the USA simply wouldn't be tolerated in other countries. The kids would be kicked out or put into some sort of school not intended to prepare students for college, such as a technical school. The sooner we get over this idea of "no child left behind" and all kids are equal the better off we will be. We have the best universities in the world, hands down. If we placed children by ability in high school the way we do in college or simply kick the troublemakers out of school, the quality of our education would skyrocket.

Last edited by logiclover; 04-28-2015 at 02:35 AM..

Old 04-28-2015, 02:13 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manimgoindowndown View Post
Honestly I can't think of a single life skill I learned by graduating HS and i grew up in NY NJ MD IL Nothing applicable like a basic finance course, basic course on nutrition. It's no wonder our most lucrative industries have to compete with people from the third world like India routinely. Our education system is HORRIBLE. It doesn't engender any practical or theoretical skills, critical thinking, rhetoric.z

I can't htink of how much better our country would be off we if taught hard or technical skills in high school and put as much emphasis on them as the humanities.
When you have a current type of system unrepresentative of democracy, a country which pours more money into corporate welfare, you're also going to have a country in which the rich become richer and poor become poorer.

Why would a self-destructive capitalistic society have such a poor level of education?
#1) You have issues of race and class

#2) Regarding race and class, you have economic disparity in which the poor lower class become more and more disenfranchised. And, you have inequality within the races.

#3) And, you have corporate agendas who like to fund education:
Billionaire Koch Brothers Actively Segregate K-12 Public Schools in America
[Starting with North Carolina]

Oil Companies Funding Environmental Science Curriculum From K-12
[In California]

Wake up people.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:11 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Not that I disagree with kat949, but let's not turn this into a political discussion or I'll have to close this thread.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:49 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,301,069 times
Quote:
Honestly I can't think of a single life skill I learned by graduating HS and i grew up in NY NJ MD IL Nothing applicable like a basic finance course, basic course on nutrition. It's no wonder our most lucrative industries have to compete with people from the third world like India routinely. Our education system is HORRIBLE. It doesn't engender any practical or theoretical skills, critical thinking, rhetoric.z

I can't htink of how much better our country would be off we if taught hard or technical skills in high school and put as much emphasis on them as the humanities.
The world needs ditch diggers too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiRGRvE_Wqg

Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM

2,513 posts, read 2,792,904 times
1. Schools teach to the lowest common denominator
2. Schools teach to pass tests instead of real learning
3. Parents aren't involved in many cases
4. Parents expect schools to teach everything
5. Systems that just move the kids along instead of holding them back until the student passes that grade
6. Lack of competition, everyone is a winner attitude
7. Failure to recognize students who would be better off at trade or skill centers
8. Laziness

Old 04-28-2015, 06:27 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,412,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
It takes a village to ruin education.
A village outside Washington D.C.

psik

Old 04-28-2015, 11:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,290,008 times
Quote:

We have no "American" education system.

We have a wide distribution of school quality and students from those schools, some schools and kids are incredible, some are downright frightening.

S.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:52 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
A few cultures in the US do not value education the way we want them to. Other cultures have English as a second language and it can take while (as in never) for them to catch up with native speakers in educational attainment.

There are some cultures who value education more than most. Despite being non native speakers they seem to excel in our system.

Many more people in this country are successful at school and productive members of our society. You can't force someone to value education. We've tried for the last 40 years, it aint working.
There are cultures although the world that don't value education.... All else equals, the US still ranks among the low despite the large resources available. I am not at the point to accept that US culture is unique that it breeds stupid people.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 PM

17 posts, read 15,595 times
People are assuming things like 18 year olds who don't know basic finance should be the ones to blame for taking out $200,000 loans and majoring in English. Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education