Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 07:47 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,303,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Give an example on how this would work in say an English class learning how to write a proper paragraph....or a math class with kids learning how to solve algebraic equations....or a history class learning the history of WWII?

This is not the way we should teach. It IS however the way we should approach how we teach. As a former engineer turned teacher I'm convinced it we applied to engineering method to curriculum mapping we'd improve our system. One thing I'd LOVE to see done is testing that matters. Instead of state tests that students have no vested interest in, write a final exam for every year and subject that actually tests what should have been taught. In engineering you test the specifications you design to and you test all of them. There should be comprehensive exit exams for every grade and subject and they should be same for all schools. This would allow us to compare one school district to another. Our current testing is too hit or miss. For example only 6 of the 143 CCE's that are in my curriculum are actually on the test and those 6 are randomly chosen every year. Yet this test is used in part to determine the quality of my teaching. I might hit all six one year and miss them all another. I'd much rather they test everything I'm supposed to teach. Then they'd see that I teach most of those CCE's and that I teach them well. I'd also put the tests at the end of the year. My students take the test at the beginning of the second semester so I've only taught a little more than half of what I'm going to teach. Seems stupid to me to pick 6 of my CCE's and then tie my pay to whether my students knew them when you didn't even let me finish the year.
As a current engineer who could never be a teacher, I am in complete agreement with everything you said. However, many of your colleaques would fight it tooth and nail, because they really don't teach well and know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 07:39 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
If the teacher is assessing, the teacher will know who is understanding and who isn't, and address that.

Any teacher who is "fooled" into thinking students are learning when they're not isn't spending any time doing assessment, formal or informal.
What you say all makes good sense.....in a perfect world. Unfortunately it's not...by any means.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Got today that I agree - except they aren't fooling the teacher. The teacher knows that in any grouping, but especially mixed ability groupings, this us the way it works. Whether they will admit that or not is another story altogether.
I think you're right...How can they not?
Your last sentence is right on, I agree.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
I have to say I am sick of schools trying to force the kids to work in groups and to "discuss" everything.

Put a group of five kids together to solve a problem and we end up with 1 or 2 kids doing the whole thing and 2 or 3 learning nothing, contributing nothing and fooling the teacher into thinking everyone understood it.
But we're told that we have to have them investigate to learn. This is being forced down our throats. My admins can't understand why I can't put more kids in my lab. I'd have to go to groups of 3. With a group of 2, there's a pretty good chance both partners will work. Usually one more than the other but they'll both contribute. In groups of 3 I find that two of them will do more socializing than working and the third one will carry the group. We know how groupings work. This isn't our choice. If I had it my way we'd have a tracked system and kids who just don't want to learn would be somewhere else until they decide they want to learn.

I don't know what the answer is here. The "experts" keep trying to find ways to intrinsically motivate kids who are not intrinsically motivated to learn what we teach. They'd rather text, play games on their phones and surf the web.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
I think you're right...How can they not?
Your last sentence is right on, I agree.
Teachers agree but many know that they can't say that out loud for fear of losing their jobs.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
As a current engineer who could never be a teacher, I am in complete agreement with everything you said. However, many of your colleaques would fight it tooth and nail, because they really don't teach well and know it.
I wish I could disagree with you but I can't. Too many of my colleagues don't know the material themselves. I'm told that a good teacher can teach anything. Teaching is an art and you really don't need to know your content.

I find it sad that each grade/subject seems to be taught in isolation and too many teachers just teach what they want. They get away with this because the high stakes tests don't actually test what we're supposed to teach. I have a set of standards. 143 to be exact. The state will pick 6 randomly and put them on the test next year. THAT's how they judge my ability to teach. Did I get those 6. Would anyone ever buy a car where only 6 parts out of 143 were actually tested to see if they meet the standard they were supposed to meet?

I would love it if they would implement exit exams for all classes at the high school level. Put all 143 of my CCE's on the test. If you want me to teach them then test them. Don't tell me to teach them and then test only part of them or something else altogether. There is no accountability in education. Sadly they're trying to put it in but they're doing it wrong. The test doesn't test what I teach but they now want to tie my license to how well my kids do on the test while my kids have no vested interest in the test they're taking. I've seen kids come in, bubble one answer and proceed to take a nap. The ASSumption here is that kids actually try to learn this stuff and they try on the test. If they had to pass a test that actually tested what I'm supposed to teach to pass the class they would have a vested interest in learning the material and doing well on the test and they DEMAND I teach it well.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Teachers agree but many know that they can't say that out loud for fear of losing their jobs.
I agree with that too....which is kinda sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education