Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:13 PM

203 posts, read 172,782 times

Advertisements

I loathed high school with a passion and it was basically because of attending this school (no doubt would have happened anywhere else) that I became a complete cynic about society in general and totally averse to participating in it more than the minimum required. I broke contact with the few people I associated with there (a few of my sibling's friends and a few relatives excepted) and have never tried to reconnect with anyone who attended there - the few people I have seen around that recognize I avoid, although I doubt the recognize me. Even if I learn somebody attended the school at another time I want nothing to do with them (there are a couple quite famous people who went there though, so I might make an exception). Unfortunately, I still live close-by and passing by on occasion is inevitable. Outwardly it's a grand old building, but nevertheless I wish I would never have to see it again. If this was even possible, it will probably not change the fact that I regularly have dreams about the place - many of which generally consist of me walking to school at night entering the school, which is sometimes partial ruins or dilapidated, sometimes deserted sometimes filled with others. I will usually just walk around aimlessly whether or not others are there. I'm not sure why my dreams tend to be of this nature; they're about the closest I get to having nightmares. My only regret is not keeping detailed notes about my time there and my experiences and what I thought of my peers; I would love to write a scathing book about my time there. (I generally was neutral with the teachers - some I appreciate for what they tried to accomplish, though). There was some sort of anniversary celebration a few years ago which I avoided (was somewhat of a flop I understand) and I will never, ever attend a reunion. Without a doubt high school was the four WORST years of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2015, 05:41 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,644,874 times
I never cared for mine either and I went to a couple of high schools. It seems like a lot of the people I knew are dead,in jail or living in the dumpy parts of town. I did see where a couple of them made it big once they moved out of town. I too have dreams about the buildings but mine are funky kind of dreams where there are department stores and doctor's offices combined with the school, so if you are walking down the hall to go to class you might see a patient getting their bedpan emptied or someone trying on new shoes. School was strange and so are these dreams.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:47 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
You need to let these feelings go. My advice would be professional help. Most people hated high school but your feelings seem to be over the top.

Old 08-25-2015, 07:03 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
I hated high school too and swore I would never set foot in one again and I even dropped out as soon as I was old enough. So guess what I do for a career? You guessed it--I teach high school! But I'm with Spazkat--this is a bitterness that will not let you go and best to find out why.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 PM

203 posts, read 172,782 times
I think it reads more strident that it really is.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksalot View Post
I will never, ever attend a reunion. Without a doubt high school was the four WORST years of my life.

Well, at least you're not bitter about it.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
I agree. I have never attended a high school reunion. I have no desire to relive the three most miserable years of my life. High school sucked. My life started when I left and got better with each passing year (until the recession but I'm working my way back now). I'm in contact with one person from high school and that's fine with me. You are not alone by any means. I think most people hated high school.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
To the OP, move away from the town and you will never have to see the high school again unless you return to visit.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:51 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,474,580 times
MY HS sucked even thou I was a star running back on the football team and I got the royal treatment, I don't miss it or go back for any reunions. You are not alone with hating your former HS. I don't feel like I learned a lot which was partly my fault.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:09 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Well you know who I really feel sorry for? Those who remember HS as the best years of their life! Like the uncle in Napoleon Dynamite. How sad was that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education