Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 10:58 AM

50,863 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Incidentally, I worked, illegally, at the age of 13 in multiple home-based business ventures, some not of my parents' making. Please prove to me that I was "harmed".
Thank you for admitting that you can't trust employers to skirt child labor laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 12:35 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Thank you for admitting that you can't trust employers to skirt child labor laws.
I don't follow where you are going with this. Are you talking about large corporate employers and those engaging in interstate commerce, that the federal laws target? I grew up in a state with much more restrictive laws than the federal ones. It would have been legal in some other states because it was below the annual sales amount specified in the FLSA ($500k).

Old 04-08-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Did Einstein work hard or was he having fun?
Some of both. I doubt, however, that the German schools of the time taught math and science the same way American schools do today.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:53 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Wow, physics! You're working hard, I'm sure. Good luck!

Sorry; but dial from phone. LOL

Old 04-08-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Ncole, at no place did I say that a grocery store was a sweatshop.

However, I know of grocery stores that skirt child labor laws.
I have also worked at a place that had violations, but most of them were by accident, for example, because the lower level managers did not know that meetings counted towards the maximum number of hours that could be worked. I was 18 when I worked there so it was legal.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I have also worked at a place that had violations, but most of them were by accident, for example, because the lower level managers did not know that meetings counted towards the maximum number of hours that could be worked. I was 18 when I worked there so it was legal.
LOL, they "didn't know".

Old 04-08-2017, 01:42 PM

50,863 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
LOL, they "didn't know".
Agreed. It's not knowing on purpose.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:46 PM

12,854 posts, read 9,071,750 times
Quote:
As a student, it would have been work. Very hard work. Because keeping the professor who has control over your future is very hard work. Later on, once he was able to do his own thing, however ....

I certainly had a love/hate relation with grad school. Loved what I was learning, loved the environment and interaction with other students. Hated the time wasting false directions my professor sent me down because he didn't understand my topic. Hated the interminable nit picking and re-writes I had to do which were nothing more than happy to glad changes (these were the days before laser printers so every rewrite mean paying a professional typist to retype it and even a one word change meant a week getting it typed up).

Old 04-09-2017, 03:07 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
k-12 is a series of tests. That is it. They have facilities for this sort of thing.
So when are parents going to help their children bypass the nonsense?
Only if they go and enter into private schools. Home schools still have tests to answer to, especially eSchool or iSchool programming. Don't get me wrong, I hate testing standards mainly because I have great recall so it was typically easy for me. Braindump on English essays based on what the essay asks on books or texts you read, math tests were just formula dumps or calculations and science and history were fact based. I recognize that isn't the case for everyone, but it was for me. I don't know what to do because we all know schools have to be held up to the standards, but the tests aren't working.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:45 PM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Only if they go and enter into private schools. Home schools still have tests to answer to, especially eSchool or iSchool programming. Don't get me wrong, I hate testing standards mainly because I have great recall so it was typically easy for me. Braindump on English essays based on what the essay asks on books or texts you read, math tests were just formula dumps or calculations and science and history were fact based. I recognize that isn't the case for everyone, but it was for me. I don't know what to do because we all know schools have to be held up to the standards, but the tests aren't working.
I think bypassing the nonsense can be done even if the kids have to attend the school.

However it matters if the particular kid wants to learn things or not. This did not exist when I was in school:

https://www.khanacademy.org/

School was easy for me also. The problem was they didn't go fast enough or cover what I cared about. Now you can get a computer for $9.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...rst-9-computer

The peripherals will cost $30.

But what does a college expect someone to pay for a Python course?

3-credit course; $562 in-state; $1,180 non-resident;

New Course: Practical Python Programming - MassBay Community College

Get Real!

Just get the equipment and the books for a fraction of the course cost.

Book Review: Violent Python A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers

ToolsWatch.org – The Hackers Arsenal Tools Portal » Book Review: Violent Python A Cookbook for Hackers, Forensic Analysts, Penetration Testers and Security Engineers

https://repo.zenk-security.com/Progr...0Engineers.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education