Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2017, 11:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Technology should make work easier, not harder.
It also requires understanding the technology, and it takes fewer workers to get the job done. Don't be ridiculous! The reason coal mining won't come back in a big way even if every environmental law is revoked is d/t technology. They don't need 10 year old boys in the mines chopping coal with a pick any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 11:05 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,958 times
Quote:
But there was no space odyssey in 2001! And where are our jetpacks?
It is called over-optimism.

The Casini Mission was passing Jupiter in Dec 2000 headed for Saturn. To boldly go where only Voyager had gone before. Never send a man to do a robots job.

https://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/the-jour...loring-jupiter

HAL is coming to take your job though. It won't kill you, just let you starve.

psik

Last edited by psikeyhackr; 04-06-2017 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-06-2017, 02:01 PM

18,549 posts, read 15,614,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
It also requires understanding the technology, and it takes fewer workers to get the job done. Don't be ridiculous! The reason coal mining won't come back in a big way even if every environmental law is revoked is d/t technology. They don't need 10 year old boys in the mines chopping coal with a pick any more.
I was not talking about coal mining. I was talking about the service economy. There are plenty of jobs you can do without a post-secondary degree. I don't even get why data entry, just to give one example, would require a high school diploma. I could put numbers into a computer all day long when I was in 7th grade. Why should it be illegal?

In 1900 you could hire a 13-year-old to pains-takingly write it out by hand and put it into a book, but in 2000 you could not hire a 13-year-old to put the info into a computer. Why? Did the technology make the task more difficult, or did it make it easier?

Last edited by ncole1; 04-06-2017 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 02:24 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Could it be the nature of work has changed in 100 years? Nah! Not a chance!
Not only that, but this nation worked hard to get away from child labor in the fields, and sweat shops, and coal mines. I don't think that child labor is good from almost any aspect. Children will take the jobs of adults in lower level jobs, and we learned over our first couple hundred years that that was not desirable.

So while ncole is advocating for child labor, I will advocate against it. Starting working in a grocery store at age 16 was early enough for me.

Old 04-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
. Starting working in a grocery store at age 16 was early enough for me.
ROFL

My father owned a grocery store. I started at 12 on weekends. Stacking Campbell's Soup cans was so much fun. At least now we could listen to MP3 players with music or audiobooks. I didn't even have a Walkman.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
I was not talking about coal mining. I was talking about the service economy. There are plenty of jobs you can do without a post-secondary degree. I don't even get why data entry, just to give one example, would require a high school diploma. I could put numbers into a computer all day long when I was in 7th grade. Why should it be illegal?

In 1900 you could hire a 13-year-old to pains-takingly write it out by hand and put it into a book, but in 2000 you could not hire a 13-year-old to put the info into a computer. Why? Did the technology make the task more difficult, or did it make it easier?
Quote:
Not only that, but this nation worked hard to get away from child labor in the fields, and sweat shops, and coal mines. I don't think that child labor is good from almost any aspect. Children will take the jobs of adults in lower level jobs, and we learned over our first couple hundred years that that was not desirable.

So while ncole is advocating for child labor, I will advocate against it. Starting working in a grocery store at age 16 was early enough for me.
Agree with you, phetaroi. My g*d, ncole, you're advocating child labor and dropping out of high school! Got any more good ideas?

Old 04-07-2017, 06:10 PM

804 posts, read 547,153 times
k-12 is a series of tests. That is it. They have facilities for this sort of thing.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
k-12 is a series of tests. That is it. They have facilities for this sort of thing.
So when are parents going to help their children bypass the nonsense?

Old 04-08-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Why not let people start working when they, as an individual, are ready, but with safeguards in place to keep sweatshops from returning? Do you really think a grocery store is a sweatshop?

Old 04-08-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Agree with you, phetaroi. My g*d, ncole, you're advocating child labor and dropping out of high school! Got any more good ideas?
No, I am not. What I am saying is that if someone could work while still in school, then it scarcely seems reasonable to argue that school cannot be shortened. I am not advocating dropping out of high school under the *current* system (which is set up so that doing so closes lots of doors).

Seriously, if I advocated dropping out, I would have done so myself.

Incidentally, I worked, illegally, at the age of 13 in multiple home-based business ventures, some not of my parents' making. Please prove to me that I was "harmed".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education