Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,459,776 times

Advertisements

My daughter told me at her elementary school the last time they held back a student, that the student's parents sued the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:48 PM

247 posts, read 363,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Who told you that?
Did they follow the procedures outlined here?
http://www.aacps.org/studentservices/504.pdf
School Law in Maryland - Educational Rights of Children with Special Needs
Section 504 Plans

As a note, Anne Arundel, as well as Calvert, has had issues with Special Ed over the years. Both have had to pay some significant settlements for failure to provide accommodations.

Hooked her up with Maryland and Anne Arundel County links.
Thank you! I'll try to use these to help. Maybe getting the 504 plan started here would help, and then we can get back on an IEP in Ohio. They use the "other" category to apply IEP rules for ADHD, thank goodness.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:00 PM

804 posts, read 545,277 times
1. It is grade school. If your daughter practices enough she will be able to go to college.

2. She is going to be held back in grades later on so maybe it is better for her to continue.

3. There is no such thing as ADD or ADHD. I really doubt it. My opinion. I am tired of the drugs and pills and other prescription gumbo jumbo. Next it will be diabetes and sucking people out of the needle for the pen

4. Imagine if it was the 1950's or 1920's. I am just throwing this out there. People have to do things to make them happy asides for education as well.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
1. It is grade school. If your daughter practices enough she will be able to go to college.

2. She is going to be held back in grades later on so maybe it is better for her to continue.

3. There is no such thing as ADD or ADHD. I really doubt it. My opinion. I am tired of the drugs and pills and other prescription gumbo jumbo. Next it will be diabetes and sucking people out of the needle for the pen

4. Imagine if it was the 1950's or 1920's. I am just throwing this out there. People have to do things to make them happy asides for education as well.
Wrong:

Is ADHD Real? What the Medical Community Says

Quote:
All the major medical groups -- including the American Academy of Pediatrics, American Medical Association, American Psychiatric Association, and National Institutes of Health -- recognize attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder as a valid condition that should be treated.
The problem is that it is challenging to diagnose properly.

Quote:
Doctors don’t know everything about how ADHD works in the brain. But “imaging tests like MRIs show there are clear differences in people who have it and people who don’t,” Alsakaf says.

He points to the prefrontal cortex, a brain area that plays a role in behavior, problem solving, and emotions. In people with ADHD, its activity is different from someone who doesn’t have the condition.

Still, those differences are not enough to diagnose the disorder.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:01 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,419,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merewenc View Post
We'll be moving at the end of the school year. My seventh grade daughter has been struggling in school the last few years, barely making good enough grades each marking period to have a cumulative grade that will pass her to the next grade. We've asked about holding her back and have been told unequivocally "no" each time because she passed--even if she got almost all Ds to do it.

She does well enough on her homework when we force her to it, but the problem comes with remembering to turn it in and remembering to put her name on her classwork so that she can get credit--or turning in the classwork in the first place. She has ADHD and is incredibly high on the ADD part of the scale. A cough across the room can be enough to distract her when she's supposed to be doing something. And then it takes her so long to finish the work that the bell rings and then she's rushing to pack up and doesn't remember to turn it in.

My husband and I want to talk to the school where we'll be moving to see if they'll let her start seventh grade over again. We think if she's more familiar with the work, it'll be easier to finish quickly and also maybe help her with some fundamentals she hasn't been able to grasp in the "rush." At the same time, we're afraid the new schools will deny us the request just like her current one.

I don't understand it. I thought that schools used to be okay with holding back under-performing students to try and bring them back up to standards. It happened to a few people I knew throughout my own school years. What happened? Was this No Child Left Behind or something else? How likely is it that we'll get denied again?
I believe it is your right as a parent to decide if your child is prepared to move to the next grade level. If not, get a doctor's note. If you are moving to another state then don't worry about it just tell them what grade you want to put her in. At some point, she will need intervention because it is a behavioral issue not a intelligence issue.

Old 03-31-2017, 03:47 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,554,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakingbad View Post
I believe it is your right as a parent to decide if your child is prepared to move to the next grade level. If not, get a doctor's note. If you are moving to another state then don't worry about it just tell them what grade you want to put her in. At some point, she will need intervention because it is a behavioral issue not a intelligence issue.
A doctor's note will not change grade placement.

And school records are sent from one school to another. And we read them. Why not just be up front about it?

Old 03-31-2017, 08:55 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
A doctor's note will not change grade placement.

And school records are sent from one school to another. And we read them. Why not just be up front about it?
Yes, I agree. What would a doctor's note have to do with it. It might be one little piece of a big puzzle.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:15 PM

606 posts, read 419,379 times
One sentence: no child left behind

I guess they were really serious when they put that out there. After all it isn't fair if everyone in the same class can't move on together. On a more serious note, I think when an education system decreases in quality, things like this tend to happen. I think its become sort of a numbers game to pass as many students as possible, qualified or not, onto the next grade. Having students is costly as it is. More so when you have them repeating grades and/or in summer school. Just part of the plan to keep cutting education costs I suppose.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM

50,797 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post

I guess they were really serious when they put that out there. After all it isn't fair if everyone in the same class can't move on together. On a more serious note, I think when an education system decreases in quality, things like this tend to happen. I think its become sort of a numbers game to pass as many students as possible, qualified or not, onto the next grade. Having students is costly as it is. More so when you have them repeating grades and/or in summer school. Just part of the plan to keep cutting education costs I suppose.
On the other hand, can you provide some evidence that holding a kid back (pre-high school) is actually helpful. I've seen that debated often.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montezia View Post

As the poster below said the evidence is against holding a child back.

New research suggests repeating elementary school grades — even kindergarten — is harmful | Education By The Numbers

Quote:
New research suggests repeating elementary school grades — even kindergarten — is harmful
Quote:
Andrew mined two large data sets in a way no researcher has done before and concludes that kids who repeat a year between kindergarten and fifth grade are 60 percent less likely to graduate high school than kids with similar backgrounds, and even 60 percent less likely to graduate high school than siblings in the same family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education