Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 02:53 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
I put this in the education forum because it is clearly a discipline, lack of supervision, and safety issue at this school.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...elf/317441001/
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
On the one hand, supervising bathrooms too closely often brings comments about staff being voyeurs. It's a tough call.

But the coverup is, in my view, grounds for criminal charges of, at the very least, negligence.
I read the news article. From my own experiences in a far more affluent district, the schools turn a blind eye towards situations of repeated abuse of children who are physically or mentally weaker than others. In my case, in second grade my mother was more or less forced to seek a psychiatrist for me. The second grade teacher did little or nothing to educate the children in her class about the right way to treat a student who seems to have trouble fitting in.

In 9th Grade I was chased through the school and almost killed by a kid trying to clock me with a bicycle chain. My parents were asked to remove me from the school. That didn't happen only because I refused to cooperate with that travesty. 10th Grade was much better. Actually other than my father's death in January 1973 one of my better years of school. Luckily, my life has gone rather well since the end of law school, though the educational years had some good and some bad years.

My point in all this is that the issue is not the supervision of bathrooms. It's appropriate guidance of children in how to treat others. Though to some extent "boys will be boys" the child on the wrong end of mistreatment should be given some solace and encouragement at a minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 04:30 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,841,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How exactly do you have inside information about this case?
Because I live in the town and people talk to others that know the family and go to school there.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Because I live in the town and people talk to others that know the family and go to school there.
I'm interested. What do you have to add from being local that hasn't been revealed in the video and the news articles?

Old 05-13-2017, 05:05 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Yeah. I know the rumors that went around our school, and most were either not true at all or terribly exaggerated.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:34 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,540,802 times
To follow through with hanging oneself would seem to take a considerable amount of willpower. There is an extremely strong, deeply rooted survival instinct in human beings, particularly when it comes to breathing. I am shocked that such a young child would be able to conceive of such an act, and even more shocked that he would follow it through to its conclusion.

There are far more suicide attempts than there are completed suicides. It is devastating that a young child would have the mindset needed to even attempt such an act. If only he could have been unsuccessful.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:47 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,577,745 times
Quote:
I put this in the education forum because it is clearly a discipline, lack of supervision, and safety issue at this school.

OMG. They didn't TELL the mother what had happened??? What's WRONG with those people?

I hope they sue them and win a huge settlement, and the people in charge at that school are summarily fired, if they aren't already.

Not telling the mother what happened is unconscionable. Plus she wouldn't have made him go back to school, she could have had the little criminals expelled from the school as safety for her son.

OMG. How horrible. I can't believe the school did that.

(I am wondering if the boy killed himself because of the fear and shame of having to go back to school.)

My heart bleeds for the mother. She'll never be the same. She's lost her little boy in a horrific way.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:31 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
OMG. They didn't TELL the mother what had happened??? What's WRONG with those people?

I hope they sue them and win a huge settlement, and the people in charge at that school are summarily fired, if they aren't already.

Not telling the mother what happened is unconscionable. Plus she wouldn't have made him go back to school, she could have had the little criminals expelled from the school as safety for her son.

OMG. How horrible. I can't believe the school did that.

(I am wondering if the boy killed himself because of the fear and shame of having to go back to school.)

My heart bleeds for the mother. She'll never be the same. She's lost her little boy in a horrific way.
The school didn't know.

The story has changed significantly since the first article written.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:21 PM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Court: Parents of child who killed himself can sue educators
Quote:
The parents of an 8-year-old student who killed himself after being persistently bullied can move forward with a lawsuit against the Cincinnati school district that alleges wrongful death and other charges, a federal appeals panel ruled Tuesday.

The three-judge panel of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court Appeals said Gabriel Taye's parents had established “reckless behavior” that prevents school officials from receiving governmental immunity for their handling of the case.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 01-01-2021 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: please don't post long quotes - link and snippet is all that's needed.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
I know this is an OLD thread, but there's a lot more going on that a kid committing suicide because of being bullied.

My nephew is 7 years old and I can't even imagine he has the concept of killing himself in his head EVER let alone doing it via hanging.

To have an 8 year old who commits suicide via hanging is beyond distrurbing and lots of things were going on pychologically or in the home.

Old 12-30-2020, 06:04 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
I read the news article. From my own experiences in a far more affluent district, the schools turn a blind eye towards situations of repeated abuse of children who are physically or mentally weaker than others. In my case, in second grade my mother was more or less forced to seek a psychiatrist for me. The second grade teacher did little or nothing to educate the children in her class about the right way to treat a student who seems to have trouble fitting in.

In 9th Grade I was chased through the school and almost killed by a kid trying to clock me with a bicycle chain. My parents were asked to remove me from the school. That didn't happen only because I refused to cooperate with that travesty. 10th Grade was much better. Actually other than my father's death in January 1973 one of my better years of school. Luckily, my life has gone rather well since the end of law school, though the educational years had some good and some bad years.

My point in all this is that the issue is not the supervision of bathrooms. It's appropriate guidance of children in how to treat others. Though to some extent "boys will be boys" the child on the wrong end of mistreatment should be given some solace and encouragement at a minimum. I received a rep on the original iteration:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I read the news article.....
but no comments on this post. I would think that a first-hand comment from a living person rather than a well-meaning comment from someone not involved would merit discussion. OP quoted below:
Quote:

While I didn't comment on the original news story it does raise some serious questions:
  1. How could an eight year old show no marks from a beating severe enough for him to lose consciousness?
  2. And how was that large a group of eight year olds unsupervised? Did the mother see any marks? and
  3. Did the mother care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education