Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:22 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBI JOE View Post
No one is trying to force anybody into anything. I am simply advocating a voluntary system of children going during free time during school hours for a few moments of prayer.
Not sure when you think there is so much free time in school. My son's time at school is pretty much classes all day long. There is no "free time". Why are you so adamant on this being during school time? There is plenty of time after school, on weekends, etc. for parents and children to participate in their faith.

Quote:
I find it funny that all those who have absolutely no interest in religion is so very vocal and in fact worried if men mention of God.
Yes, you are right. I have no interest in religion and have no interest in it during my son's school time.

And for the record, I have a degree in theology. That is also why I became an atheist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
Quote:
I find it funny that all those who have absolutely no interest in religion is so very vocal and in fact worried if men mention of God.
I find it funny that someone wants to impress their religious beliefs upon my children, and is in fact threatened by the very mention of absolute separation of church and state.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:05 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,881 times
Currently, your children are allowed to do exactly as you posted, in the section I have bolded for your reference. So nothing needs to change..

Quote:
No one is trying to force anybody into anything. I am simply advocating a voluntary system of children going during free time during school hours for a few moments of prayer.

It would completely be up to the parents, who is at all times responsible 24 hours a day seven days a week 365 days a year to always know where the child is; Inside a house at school during play dates, a healthy parent-child relationship as one of which a child listens and follows to the structure and educational vantage a parent offers.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:52 PM

316 posts, read 596,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I find it funny that someone wants to impress their religious beliefs upon my children, and is in fact threatened by the very mention of absolute separation of church and state.
Again. No one is trying to impress anything upon you, or your children. Church and state is absolute. Volunteering a few minutes with the approval and encouragement of parents to pray, and think about God, for those, and only those who advocate it for their own children, would be a wholesome and growing, (uplifting) experience. And very educational.

A daily dose of a few minutes with God, would help all. (O.K. except for you and your like, and their children!)

A volunteer coming to the school to encourage this atmoshpere and "educate" children with this way of life would be extremely beneficial for those and only for those who are interested.

I advocate a daily dosage, just like any other educational experience that requires continues repititious review and support.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
Quote:
Again. No one is trying to impress anything upon you, or your children. Church and state is absolute. Volunteering a few minutes with the approval and encouragement of parents to pray, and think about God, for those, and only those who advocate it for their own children, would be a wholesome and growing, (uplifting) experience. And very educational.
You don't read the posts do you?

your children are allowed to do that so the system doesn't need to change

Quote:
A daily dose of a few minutes with God, would help all. (O.K. except for you and your like, and their children!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by more accurate post
A daily dose of a few minutes with my God, would help all. (O.K. except for you and your like[filthy heathens], and their children!)
Quote:
A volunteer coming to the school to encourage this atmoshpere and "educate" children with this way of life would be extremely beneficial for those and only for those who are interested.
this is getting repetitive, they are allowed and happen on many places.

Quote:
I advocate a daily dosage, just like any other educational experience that requires continues repititious review and support.
Ok sure

Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 PM

316 posts, read 596,037 times
Default Missing the point!

coosjoaquin you miss the following point:

Quote:
Have various clergy men, and religious people volunteer time at public schools to encourage and support young children on a daily quest with God.
Address that point - and you need not split it into so many lines!

Old 03-11-2008, 12:33 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,881 times
The problem is that we don't live in a theocracy. So no setting up a formal time with any sort of directed religious activity is wrong, in a public school setting. If you wish to have school time set aside specifically for religious observation you are free to homeschool your children or send them to private school. Alternately your children can choose to pray individually during the school day.

Quote:

Old 03-11-2008, 04:41 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
Quote:
coosjoaquin you miss the following point:

Have various clergy men, and religious people volunteer time at public schools to encourage and support young children on a daily quest with God.

Address that point - and you need not split it into so many lines!
look why do you still feel the need to involve public schools in this? when do you propose the religious people try that? at their lunch time? how is this any different that harassing children to try to get them to a faith? Im sure you are aware by now that there are many options available which don't break the constitution.

If the parents feel that strongly that their child should be reminded every living moment that their religion is right, then they can just send them to a religiously funded private school where they can take a more "hands on approach".

I know you wish that the entire school would spend some time to pray everyday but, as the name suggests, public schools are open for anyone meaning that kids of people from all faiths will attend them and they sure as hell don't want other religions to be crammed down their gullets

Its sort of like the man who spends his days down in the high street asking strangers if they have found jesus. "im not forcing my religion on anyone" he'll say as he spends the day following you while preaching

Old 03-11-2008, 05:50 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
I don't think schools have the right to force any one religion on any child. Then you are saying yours is the one that matters and other religions are wrong. What prayers could be said that are generic? The poster who suggested educating about all the different religions, I agree with. Give children the option to pick or not pick. But there are so many people from all over the world with their own religions who would not want their child subjected to one particular organized religion. Religion is private.

Last edited by MaggieZ; 03-11-2008 at 05:59 AM..

Old 03-11-2008, 06:18 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
So what do you propose? They bus in a rabbi from the nearest synagogue an hour away for me- the only Jewish student in a high school of over 2500 people? What about an imam for the few Muslim students? Or do we just get left out of this little plan?

Silly me, I thought religion was something that's personal. If you knew anything about high school, you'd know that the students who go to the ALREADY ESTABLISHED religion clubs (we had 5 Christian before and after school clubs), it has nothing to do with religion.

And what free time? When I was in high school 2 years ago, we had 5 minutes to run between classes- often between buildings, out to the trailers, or clear across campus, and 15 minutes for lunch INCLUDING the time it took to get to the cafeteria from the classroom. Free time? Hah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education