Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: School begins?
July. 1 0.99%
Early to middle August. 40 39.60%
Late August. 34 33.66%
After Labor Day. 25 24.75%
We have year-round school. 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
It seems odd to me, too, that Thanksgiving break is now a week. All the years I was in school, it was Thursday & Friday, and that was plenty. I don't think the kids need a full week off at the end of November, when they're soon getting two full weeks off in December.
Our Thanksgiving break is usually half day on Wednesday (in-service day for the teachers), Thursday, Friday and Monday (holdover from when we had a lot of hunters in the area - first day of buck in Pennsylvania).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I have to admit that I don't quite understand the "its too hot to go to school" argument. As a Northeasterner I know what a PITA it is to get kids to school during the winter.
In some areas, August is a very hot month. It can be hot here in Colorado, especially earlier in the month. It can also be hot here in CO in September as well! I think the answer is to install air conditioning or some type of heat mitigation in these hotter climates.

Quote:
Our Thanksgiving break is usually half day on Wednesday (in-service day for the teachers), Thursday, Friday and Monday (holdover from when we had a lot of hunters in the area - first day of buck in Pennsylvania).
LOL, I remember that! My family lived in Bloomsburg for a short time. Coming from the Pittsburgh area, it was a surprise to us (the movie the Deer Hunter notwithstanding). Do they have that Monday off in the Philadelphia area as well?

Old 08-01-2017, 08:23 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In some areas, August is a very hot month. It can be hot here in Colorado, especially earlier in the month. It can also be hot here in CO in September as well! I think the answer is to install air conditioning or some type of heat mitigation in these hotter climates.
They do. They have to. A classroom full of kids and without a/c is unbearable when the temps reach 95 or 100...which they do in August, more often than not. I heard that Los Angeles Unified, which starts August 12, is scrambling to repair and replace broken a/c units in time for the start of school.

All that a/c doesn't come cheap. In hotter climates like ours, the cost of a/c (which will absolutely be needed through August and for the first two or three weeks of September) is a major argument in favor of a later school start.

A/C is generally not needed here in May or June at all.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They do. They have to. A classroom full of kids and without a/c is unbearable when the temps reach 95 or 100...which they do in August, more often than not. I heard that Los Angeles Unified, which starts August 12, is scrambling to repair and replace broken a/c units in time for the start of school.

All that a/c doesn't come cheap. In hotter climates like ours, the cost of a/c (which will absolutely be needed through August and for the first two or three weeks of September) is a major argument in favor of a later school start.

A/C is generally not needed here in May or June at all.
Maybe where you are. Here in CO, many, if not most schools do not have A/C. They were built back in that era that said "You don't need air-conditioning in Denver/Colorado". That was the mantra for a long time, and believe me, it was just denial, not that climate change has suddenly made it necessary. (Been here since 1980, summers are no hotter now than then. In fact, that summer of 1981 was one of the hottest I've ever experienced.) My kids' HS was built in the late 90s and does not have A/C throughout, just in a few areas. Ideas have changed since then.

Here, you may need it in June, definitely later June, certainly in August and usually September.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Many schools around here are starting back today. In nearby rural southwest Virginia, many schools do not have air conditioning or only window units.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:58 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,863 times
In NW PA, we start mid to late August. I think kids go to school enough, and should have off from Memorial Day through Labor Day. I think we always used to start in September.

Old 08-01-2017, 12:46 PM

289 posts, read 219,828 times
I feel like I have it good. School starts 8/28, teachers report on 8/14 for two weeks of in-session work. School ends 6/1. One week off for Thanksgiving, two weeks in December, one week in March. I'm coaching, so we have two short meetings this week and 4 days for camp next week. In all I can't complain, I had too much time off this summer. School ended before June hit this past school year.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:40 PM

214 posts, read 180,252 times
I am in CT and my kids start 8/30.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:42 PM

214 posts, read 180,252 times
Quote:

My kids have a 1/2 day on Wednesday and off Thursday and Fri back on Monday...which is fine with me!

Old 08-01-2017, 04:59 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Maybe where you are. Here in CO, many, if not most schools do not have A/C. They were built back in that era that said "You don't need air-conditioning in Denver/Colorado". That was the mantra for a long time, and believe me, it was just denial, not that climate change has suddenly made it necessary.
Yes, Southern California here. Our hot season is July-September. All inland schools have a/c. Some of the coastal communities have schools without a/c, which was fine when the summer break was mid-June through Labor Day. Now that they're starting early in August, it's become a real problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education