Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:49 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,695,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Maybe in most cases, but back when I was in junior high (that's what it was called before it was called middle school) we were all required to take typing in 7th grade. This requirement applied to both boys and girls. Although it was a public school, it was mostly college prep; very few kids were in the low division/business track.

They told us that we HAD to learn to type so that in college we would be able to type our own term papers. "Your mother will not be there to type your term papers."

I wasn't one of the best typists back then but my husband is amazed when he sees me typing. He does the hunt and peck method. Some school systems were ahead of the times!
My school was like that too. You were not allowed to look up when you had to push that carriage return with your left hand on the return lever. Keep your eyes on your paper!!!

My typewriter at home was a 1904 Underwood. I just sold it last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 05:14 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
From what I've been reading, it looks like typing classes are a thing of the past. I understand it's all different now with the smaller devices but don't employees still need the typing skill if they use "real" computers at work? In offices, employees are still using full-size computers or lap-tops, aren't they? So I would think typing would be a valued skill for efficiency, etc. But I've been out of the workforce for awhile, so requesting an "update", LOL.

It is still one of the single most useful classes I've ever taken in my life. I mean I don't type professionally, but can still hit 80-90 WPM when I'm in the zone. I can code faster when I don't have to look at the keyboard and peck at it like a penguin.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:17 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,928,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Most kids seem to be able to type by about age 7. Some are faster typing with their thumbs on their phone than I am on a keyboard.

heh, they're cheating. the auto word guess with the thumb slide is almost perfect now these days, so they're not really typing. All you need to do to type the word 'the' is to simply slide your thumb in a little loop on the screen over the letters and it'll guess correctly.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:06 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,833,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
heh, they're cheating. the auto word guess with the thumb slide is almost perfect now these days, so they're not really typing. All you need to do to type the word 'the' is to simply slide your thumb in a little loop on the screen over the letters and it'll guess correctly.
And then you can blame everything wrong on autocorrect.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:50 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,653,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Typing is now Word Processing/Keyboarding.

All that's changed is that it's now taught on a keyboard instead of a typewriter. There's more taught than just "typing" now.
I regret not taking it in school(1974/75),never thought I would need it.My term papers in college cost me $20 bucks a paper,once in a while dinner too.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:55 PM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Times have changed. Classes were necessary because it was more of a specialized skill. Meaning it wasn't something you normally did. Today, it's essentially part of everyday life for most. Not saying everyone knows it organically - but it's certainly not as specialized anymore. Just as learning basic computing skills is still taught, but most don't require specific training as its something many use on a daily basis.

Outside of actual writing jobs, I wonder if typing speed still matter as much these days. In the past, it mattered as you are often transcribing something onto a typed format. Today, you're pretty much putting your thoughts directly into the computer. As long as you are of average speed, the bottleneck is more likely your thought process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post

.....BTW, I am sick of this stupid auto-correct spell-check, it’s ignorant! I have to old-school proofread, because it changes everything...I know correct grammar, spelling & punctuation, it does not!

You can always turn auto-correct off....

Old 11-23-2017, 08:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,187 times
LOL. When my students see me on a keyboard just pecking away without looking they are AMAZED! They often ask, “How do you DO that?!”

Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,626,136 times
I took typing in 8th grade, I didn't like it, I didn't like my teacher either.
He called me a pecker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education