Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2018, 08:44 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
The so called useless information is training your mind to memorize and persevere, kind of like exercising muscles. Also, at some point in our lifetime, we actually may remember something familiar about that useless information. But I think it's mostly to train our minds to think and stick with a problem.
But why not train our minds with useful stuff? For example, in elementary we had to memorize dozens of poems. A new poem each month from 3rd through 6th. And every student had to recite the poem from memory in class. Didn't have it memorized, grade drops and you go to the back of the line to wait your turn to try again. Then when you succeed, it's forget that poem and start memorizing the next one. Nothing long term about it. All I can remember is something about trees and daffodils. I'd have to Google them to recall the whole poem and don't even remember anything at all about the others.

Didn't teach us to love poetry. Instead it taught us to hate it because poetry was torture. It wasn't until years later that I learned poetry had a purpose other than something to torture kids with. Still hate most of it to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 09:12 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
But why not train our minds with useful stuff? For example, in elementary we had to memorize dozens of poems. A new poem each month from 3rd through 6th. And every student had to recite the poem from memory in class. Didn't have it memorized, grade drops and you go to the back of the line to wait your turn to try again. Then when you succeed, it's forget that poem and start memorizing the next one. Nothing long term about it. All I can remember is something about trees and daffodils. I'd have to Google them to recall the whole poem and don't even remember anything at all about the others.

Didn't teach us to love poetry. Instead it taught us to hate it because poetry was torture. It wasn't until years later that I learned poetry had a purpose other than something to torture kids with. Still hate most of it to this day.
How old were you, when they started you on memorizing poems? Maybe they started you too young? (3rd grade seems like a bit too young.) Maybe the selection to choose from wasn't a good one for kids, or the poems were too long for the age group? I've known a few teachers, and even a summer camp, that present poetry-learning as a game, and the kids enjoy it. The kids who are shy or lacking in confidence start out with short poems, and as they gain confidence, progress to longer ones.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:23 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Keep in mind that some people do remember most of everything they learn. My son is a physician with incredible memory. Information just sticks in his mind. His knowledge is just not medicine but most topics such as history, politics, financial planning, literature, sports, computers, etc. These are subjects that are not part of his daily job but his knowledge is probably in the top 10% of the population in any of them. He simply remembers everything he encounters with little effort. You, on the other hand, complain about having to learn anything.
I have never complained about having to learn anything. I just don't feel that the most useful things are taught in school, and I feel that teachers use questionable methods of teaching.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post

Exactly! Literature in school was supposed to teach us a love of reading, but instead it taught me a hate of reading. According to my parents, my 7th grade English teacher, at meet the parents night, was very proud of how she chooses books that boys hate.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:35 AM

45,338 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Exactly! Literature in school was supposed to teach us a love of reading, but instead it taught me a hate of reading. According to my parents, my 7th grade English teacher, at meet the parents night, was very proud of how she chooses books that boys hate.
That's still part of the problem. Getting away from the mandated cultural literacy reading many of the books used hold no interest for boys. It doesn't mean that teachers intentionally choose them but just that reading lists are limited.

Now, as I've told another poster, none of that prohibited him from reading whatever he wanted on his own. A concept he seems to have trouble grasping.

Disclaimer: I hated much of what we had to read (Billy Budd is my all time non-favorite, well that and The Scarlet Letter) in both high school and college but that in no way kept me from reading whatever else I wanted, and it was an eclectic mix.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
THIS! The lit selections in my HS, as early as 9th Grade, turned me off to literature for life! Though I doubt they were chosen for sadistic reasons, lol! That's terrible, about your teacher.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That's still part of the problem. Getting away from the mandated cultural literacy reading many of the books used hold no interest for boys. It doesn't mean that teachers intentionally choose them but just that reading lists are limited.

Now, as I've told another poster, none of that prohibited him from reading whatever he wanted on his own. A concept he seems to have trouble grasping.

Disclaimer: I hated much of what we had to read (Billy Budd is my all time non-favorite, well that and The Scarlet Letter) in both high school and college but that in no way kept me from reading whatever else I wanted, and it was an eclectic mix.
If the required reading for school turns you off to reading, though, you'll have no motivation to seek out more reading in your leisure time. You will have "learned", that literature is torture.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If the required reading for school turns you off to reading, though, you'll have no motivation to seek out more reading in your leisure time. You will have "learned", that literature is torture.
The problem is that, and it isn't new, so many kids think reading is " just for school". They don't see anyone reading anywhere else, they don't have books or magazines at home, computers are for gaming. This cuts across all socioeconomic and racial demographics.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The problem is that, and it isn't new, so many kids think reading is " just for school". They don't see anyone reading anywhere else, they don't have books or magazines at home, computers are for gaming. This cuts across all socioeconomic and racial demographics.
Well, then, teachers will have to find ways to make reading engaging, won't they? Instead of a turn-off. Better literature selections, less pressure to read voluminous chapters in history books per week, perhaps with more time spent discussing historical trends and the context in which events played out, and so froth. IDK, but if reading in school is turning kids off, they're not going to volunteer to do more reading in their spare time. Summer reading list? Get real. I never touched anything on my summer reading lists, for example.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, then, teachers will have to find ways to make reading engaging, won't they? Instead of a turn-off. Better literature selections, less pressure to read voluminous chapters in history books per week, perhaps with more time spent discussing historical trends and the context in which events played out, and so froth. IDK, but if reading in school is turning kids off, they're not going to volunteer to do more reading in their spare time. Summer reading list? Get real. I never touched anything on my summer reading lists, for example.
Common Core tried to change that but it was screwed up. Recommended readings went from literature to assembly instructions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education