Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 09:49 PM

46 posts, read 157,607 times

Advertisements

I live in Fayetteville,AR and I'm looking for a school for my son he has severe autism/adhd came here to take care of family member now need to move. All of my family moved back to the Dallas,TX area. I never hear if TX has much to offer. It looks like I'm going to have to move clear up north and I'm a widow with just some equity so this scares me some. Even there are a lot of foreclosures out there to keep in mind, but still somewhere like NJ I might have to end up away from family. Does anyone know about the Dallas area? I'll do what I have to do for my eight year old son. Confused and alone. Idea's please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 10:10 PM

Hello, My son is eight year's old and has severe autism/adhd. I was wondering where in MI have you found a school?
My son goes to a public school here in Fayetteville,AR. The public schools aren't that great here. I have found some good o/t and s/p after school programs. We need to move because the health care isn't that great here not to mention the pay for jobs as well. I am a widow with my kid's and need to move for a better life.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:10 PM

Where is Holland? I have an 8.5 year old son that has severe autism they say medium if he starts talking. My two kid's and I are looking to move with a better school and health care.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawl_rawr View Post
That's not good to hear. My husband requested Fort Lewis as one of the three duty stations to move too because we've heard nothing but good around that area.
[quote=capecodet;13310371]My wife has been a teacher of children with special needs in Massachusetts for many years and I think the most important aspects of the child's education are: Parents, teacher, school system. If the school system fights you then it doesn't matter what state you are in. I will say that MA has enough programs that it is worth considering.
I keep bugging my wife to write a book of her experiences because it would help open the eyes of parents of special needs children. They are so often overwhelmed that they miss out on key decisions and make bad choices. Some things to look out for are: Any school system professional who tells you what you want to hear/paints rosy pictures. Some of the laziest people I've ever met are teachers... they will do the absolute minimum then tell you how great things are. Check out the programs personally. Go to the classroom and watch them for a day. My wife has no problem with parents coming to her classroom, they are there all the time. How inclusive do you want the program to be? Does the teacher promote interaction with other students, student volunteers? many Special Ed. teachers want no contact with anyone outside of their class... they may see how little they do. Is the teacher 'hands on'? Or, do they sit at the desk and dispatch the aides to do the work? (If you see a class like that...RUN!) I could go on and on but the best advice she tells me is to check out the actual program personally and be realistic. If your child is lower functioning do you really want them in Chemistry? And, if they get an A in chemistry, expect that the teacher is blowing smoke.[/Q

I am most impressed to what you have written. My almost nine year old son has medium autism and is just learning to get his words out again (autism and then a chemical reaction from versed making it a lot worse!) I was wondering if I could please ask you what area of MA are you referring to? Even a school for me to look into would be good. We live in Fayetteville, AR. I moved here for school change of career and read up above what you wrote and yes, my kid's and I need to RUN! The teachers aren't good here and neither is medical.
He's not going to learn anything if we stay here it's so upsetting....

Old 06-08-2012, 01:24 AM

Hello, I was wondering where in Minnesota?

Old 06-13-2012, 03:37 PM

5 posts, read 9,574 times
sj3,

Yes, indeed. NJ is very conservative when it comes to inclusion. Even the county supervisor told me this. Hence, there are many children with autism in NJ who will really clogged the finances as they become adults since the attitude towards children with autism is not really positive.

Old 06-14-2012, 10:49 AM

Hello, my eight year old son has moderate autism. We are moving to PA. You mentioned your daughter was going to a very good school. I was wondering if I could please get some more information like where the school is? I'm a widow in all of this now and also need to know if you know of a safe area to live in. I will be a teacher assistant my son's school actually was really wanting me to teach there and that is much as I can do so I can be there for my son. I really need to find a good school for him. I moved to Fayetteville,AR to take care of my grandparents ten year's ago now they are gone. If you or anyone has any question's about this area feel free to write and I'll get back with you on the good and the bad. My sister from Dallas,TX just told me that Keller, TX was over T.V. they where going on what a good autism school they have there and some kid's started talking that weren't. ??? I have heard good about PA and would really like to move there and the pay for myself would be better to meet his special needs I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you, DeeDee

Old 07-24-2012, 01:27 AM

5 posts, read 18,029 times
Hey, I'm thinking about moving because the Job market and cost of living is so terrible in NYC but my problem is that NYC has wonderful autism resources but we just can't thrive here the way we want.

I know i read that in Florida they give you checks to pay for private autism education? But I've been looking around and some of the places with the lowest Unemployment are
Iowa, Tennessee, Oklahoma, North and South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Utah.

I'm not sure how their autism information is and It is very hard to learn these things about the education.

I wouldn't mind moving to a place that will give me a check to pay for a private school and i also don't my public. (Tho with luck this move will help me make enough money to pay for private school myself.)

Any tips about the best places with Autism Education (My son's only 5 now so he's just entering Kindergarten) and maybe even what kind of school they have would be great!

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 AM

8 posts, read 21,381 times
Amen to that. We live in York now and since job prospects are slim, we made a "practice" move to Florida where my husband got a job and where I have offers. After much research, we decided to return to our home in PA with our 6 year old for the services. Not to mention the slumping housing market where our house still has not sold. Our son has always been our #1 priority, but the decision has been difficult. Jobs, with limited services (Tampa by the way is not too bad, but insurance only covers so much) or no jobs but help for our son. Now, what to do about jobs. You would think that wouldn't be so hard as I have my bachelors and he has a masters, but it is. Oh well, God will provide as long as our decisions are for the right reasons. Anyone know of any good IT jobs for him, or work at home jobs for me? Would love to move back down here someday, but the timing is not right.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:41 AM

42 posts, read 177,484 times
Wink Stay True

ao'smom,

Stick by your guns honey. As you stated: "God will provide as long as our decisions are for the right reasons." The job market hasn't gotten any better either and I know we could move else where in the country to get work, but it comes down to what's best for my son and now Pennsylvania is best. So Pennsylvania is where we will stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education