Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 10:44 PM

4 posts, read 3,276 times

Advertisements

What are the biggest challenges of leaving high school? Wondering what everyone is hoping will happen? And also thinking about what might get in the way of these big dreams!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 11:45 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,770,912 times
Moved from the San Diego forum.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-04-2019, 02:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Biggest challenge is WAITING through High School.

Benefit... Not having to waste another minute in a lame school with peers my same age. (how ridiculous is that for an educational 'model?' ). Fortunately, I spent very little time in HS (3 hrs max / day).

One thing that did NOT get in my way during HS was parents...They had kicked me out by High School. 6 weeks after High School I became a caregiver for a disabled parent. For the next 32 yrs, things did not go as 'planned'.

Glad I was all-partied-out by the time I was a Jr in HS.

The Party was OVER the day I turned age 18.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:19 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma23 View Post
What are the biggest challenges of leaving high school? Wondering what everyone is hoping will happen? And also thinking about what might get in the way of these big dreams!
If your next step is higher education, do careful research about quality academic programs and areas of study that actually have gainful employment opportunities after graduation. Avoid accruing student loan debt at all costs.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:54 AM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
If your next step is higher education, do careful research about quality academic programs and areas of study that actually have gainful employment opportunities after graduation. Avoid accruing student loan debt at all costs.
That's a great post until the dogmatic declaration at the end. My daughter-in-law is an MD resident. She finished undergrad in 3yrs. - went straight to a great medical school and along the way accumulated about $125K in students loans with zero help from her deadbeat family. There is no way she could have done that sans student loans. And she'll be able to pay them off. Many students need students loans and most manage just fine.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:40 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Biggest challenge is WAITING through High School.

Benefit... Not having to waste another minute in a lame school with peers my same age. .
This. OP, I'm not sure what you mean about the "challenge of leaving high school". If you're college-bound, there's just more school waiting for you.It's just a change of venue, that's all. Could you elaborate on your topic idea?

Old 03-04-2019, 11:42 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That's a great post until the dogmatic declaration at the end. My daughter-in-law is an MD resident. She finished undergrad in 3yrs. - went straight to a great medical school and along the way accumulated about $125K in students loans with zero help from her deadbeat family. There is no way she could have done that sans student loans. And she'll be able to pay them off. Many students need students loans and most manage just fine.
It's great to hear a success story like this. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:21 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's great to hear a success story like this. Thanks for sharing.
A little more about her. She attended a tiny outpost of a high school in hyper-rural Texas. A about a month into her 10th grade year she had finished all the math homework for the year. She asked her math (think it was a pre-calc class) teacher who was also her advisor who is also female if the teacher could help her with a math problem DIL had stumbled across on the internet. The teacher said, "X why don't you just relax a little, get pregnant and find a man like all the other pretty girls."

I noticed you are, "friends" with stan4. stan4 has a great story about sending medical school graduation invitations to a couple of stumbling block teachers she endured along the K-12 gauntlet.

First, I made an error above DIL isn't an official resident yet. She knows where her residency will be but it's not 100% official until March 15th - just wanted to get that right. Anyway she's sent out 4 medical school graduation invites to people she feels like showing off to a little. She included her class rank she finished #4 and her USMLE Step 1 and 2 scores (99th and 100th percentile respectively - both more or less heroic efforts) and her residency info. One of the recipients is the teacher who told her she should relax and get pregnant.

She's not mine to be proud of but I am any way.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:37 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma23 View Post
need more detail...(of OP situation)
but... in the olden days...

Leaving High School meant 'leaving-the-nest', I.e kicked out, on your own -

Challenges =

Where will I sleep
What will I eat
Who will do my laundry
What will I do for transportation
Money? You mean it takes money?

What's next? THAT depends on YOU!

If you don't like sleeping under a bridge, you will figure out something you like better.

Fortunately, I got a job with a very benevolent employer @ age 17 (1st... cleaning (28) toilets > eventually... a Worldwide Sourcing and supplier / factory management role).

That employer paid (Reimbursed) 100% for my 5 degrees, but more importantly ... they taught me to GIVE / teach others, share the wealth and technology with others. Very instrumental guidance in 'growing-up'. I had a 'gifting' plan by age 18, and created a family foundation by age 39. (on hourly night shift wages).

Having very understanding and welcoming grandparents helped too (tho they were very poor and could not help financially. Which was good for me as well...)

Old 03-04-2019, 06:33 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Leaving High School meant 'leaving-the-nest', I.e kicked out, on your own -

Challenges =

Where will I sleep
What will I eat
Who will do my laundry
What will I do for transportation
Money? You mean it takes money?

Where will I sleep In an open squadbay
What will I eat Whatever the chow hall has
Who will do my laundry Me
What will I do for transportation March everywhere in formation
Money? You mean it takes money? Use the little chit book we were issued

I was off to Marine Corps boot camp six days after I finished high school. The GI Bill paid for my Bachelor's degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education