Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 01:19 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper25 View Post
Thank you so much for your replies so far, very helpful.

I will clarify as I didn't describe it correctly in my original post. His emotional and social needs are not being met. When I wrote he is ok behavior wise at school I meant he hasn't had any bad outbursts there, no anti social behavior at school and other extreme things listed on the assessment form used to make a recommendation for retention. We would never let it get that far. However there are many other signs and changes that we as parents see in him. So the school sees his behavior as fine but we know he is not doing ok and we know it's not the right level for him.
So it is not due to sports, but social and emotional needs.
Is he already seeing a child psychologist or reputable licensed therapist? I'd certainly try such an intervention before I'd take the drastic step of holding him back a grade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 06:02 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Some comments from the peanut gallery.

1) Being the youngest\smallest BOY in class is not generally a good thing, for girls it's an entirely different situation.

2) All public schools in a state are absolutely NOT REMOTELY EQUAL. They are not funded the same in some states with richer areas having more equipment and so forth not to mention that larger schools are able to offer broader curriculum like advanced AP\IB classes, higher math and so forth. Basics? Sure. But that's not going to be sufficient for many students.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:25 AM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
If you feel strongly about this, move him to the private school that's willing to admit him into the 4th grade and leave him there for several years. You know your child better than anyone, and if your gut is telling you to do this, don't delay until it's too late. You are on the verge of too late.

Someone close to me should have done this. They talked about it, and talked about it, and talked some more and in the end they left their child where he was. (this was a discussion of having him repeat kindergarten due to obvious issues instead of progressing to 1st grade). Now at 13 years old, he is not only the smallest kid in his class, he doesn't have the maturity to handle the widening scope of projects or keep track of what he is supposed to be doing. It's a tough transition for some kids anyways, but this is just a whole different level of not ready. In the end, the very thing they were concerned about is before them in living color. And nothing they can do about it now. I realize your son doesn't have academic concerns, but the same idea applies...

Best wishes!
I have no idea what's best for this particular kid.

But I disagree with the assumption that, "You know your child better than anyone".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education