Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2008, 06:35 PM

681 posts, read 2,912,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkhk3746 View Post
Wow! I am an educator, "Southdown", and I've never given children false impressions about their achievements or lack there of............Much of the problem I have witnessed, in the past 10 years of teaching, is a huge contradiction and conflict of what is taught and accepted in the home environment and what is expected and taught in the educational environment. It can be, in many instances difficult for teachers to merge the two environments without parents' respect for the education process. Simply stated: If an education isn't a priority (for whatever reason) in a home environment, you will not see a prioritization of it with students in the classroom............
I think it should have gone without saying that most commenters here have been speaking generally and not specifically, tkhk3746, but your point is well made. Not all educators are equal. Many - maybe even most - are trying to do a difficult job and parents are not always their friends or helpers. Which is a shame.

Teachers professional organizations and administrators do not always have the same views as you espouse, unfortunately. The recent decision by an eastern school entity that the lowest grade given would be 50% [couldn't quickly find the link] is sickening to me. Why should any student try to improve an education if a passing grade is guaranteed by doing nothing? That's the educational and cultural attitude most are criticizing, I believe. Not yours. You are to be thanked and commended, imo.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 06:42 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,038,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Oro View Post
Consider this, being intellectual is relative. We're all intellectuals compared to the cavemen- see, problem solved.

Actually this is a misconception. Lets take it back to the Egyptian empire. They built temples that were aligned with the stars. I forget what temple it was, but Sirius, the star, would shine over the horizon and blast straight through the middle of the temple illuminating a specific part. The calculations that were required to accomplish this were phenomenal. Today, the modern architect, at best, can build a square box with nice colors.

Also the Egyptians and other older civilizations knew about various planets and other various ways that the universe worked long BEFORE we could verify it with our modern technology.

Today, man is extremely arrogant because of his/her material possessions. I'm sorry fokes, but going to school and getting a degree in 4 to 8 years does not make you knowledgeable or complete. Modern man has no idea that in the old days man would spend his HOLE life learning a specific idea or system. Most men today I feel are a watered down version of the original concept that they studied for 8 years. How many of these people could ADD TO the text book?

When I look around, all I see is a bunch of people who idolize money. No longer is the day when people wake up to do what they really want to do because the motivation came from deep within the heart. I would guess that 90% of people who go to college go out of fear and to make a buck. Ha, they don't go there to learn, that's why when they get there they do just the opposite, party, sleep around, and surf on myspace during lectures in there pajamas.

Lastly, if you go to this link, you will find a free book that's called The Deliberate Dumbing Down of America. It will explain everything.

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com.../DDDoA.sml.pdf

Last edited by Morphous01; 10-12-2008 at 07:12 PM..

Old 10-13-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
........ The calculations that were required to accomplish this were phenomenal. ...........
If your theory is that the Egyptians laid out their plans and built the structure from scratch in a few months, then your point is valid. If, on the other hand, they took 20 years or even more to build that pyramid, as most experts think, it would have given them plenty of time to adjust the structure's design by using annual trial and error sightings. Since neither of us can know for sure, I think without denigrating the ancients I'll not buy into your theory. Sorry.

Some of what you say is valid, some is not. But overall your point was weakened by over-generalization, imo. Today we - modern man - has thousands of times more useful information available within 10 seconds - thank you, google - than those living in days of yore. Now if your point is too many moderns don't use the available information constructively, you and I are on the same side.

Cheers

Old 10-13-2008, 05:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,202,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Teachers professional organizations and administrators do not always have the same views as you espouse, unfortunately. The recent decision by an eastern school entity that the lowest grade given would be 50% [couldn't quickly find the link] is sickening to me. Why should any student try to improve an education if a passing grade is guaranteed by doing nothing? That's the educational and cultural attitude most are criticizing, I believe. Not yours. You are to be thanked and commended, imo.

Cheers
That is in the Pittsburgh city school district. I can't tell you how glad I am that I don't have kids. If I still live in Pittsburgh by the time I do, though, they are not going to a public school where 50% is the lowest you can get. The public schools out here also added an 'E' as a grade, which is 56% and above. So to fail, you have to get under a 56%, and you are not allowed to get under a 50%, which means if you get three questions right on a test, they can pass you.

Looks like I am saving up so I can afford private school...

Old 10-13-2008, 08:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Quote:
This might be a weird suggestion but have you ever thought of taking SSL classes?

Weird enough that I have no concept what you're referring to or how it would be related to our discussion.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
If your theory is that the Egyptians laid out their plans and built the structure from scratch in a few months, then your point is valid. If, on the other hand, they took 20 years or even more to build that pyramid, as most experts think, it would have given them plenty of time to adjust the structure's design by using annual trial and error sightings. Since neither of us can know for sure, I think without denigrating the ancients I'll not buy into your theory. Sorry.

Some of what you say is valid, some is not. But overall your point was weakened by over-generalization, imo. Today we - modern man - has thousands of times more useful information available within 10 seconds - thank you, google - than those living in days of yore. Now if your point is too many moderns don't use the available information constructively, you and I are on the same side. Cheers

Interesting paradigm Franklyn. So if I understand you correctly, if our ancient civilizations used the trial and error approach then somehow that mitigates their incredible feats during the time when they used primitive tools? Franklyn, with all due respect, I haft to disagree with your conclusion.

Do you really believe that because an individual can type a word in Google, operate a car, or talk on a "satellite" phone which allows a person to place a call from anywhere in the world that somehow makes mankind, in the 21st century, intelligent or superior to ancient civilizations? You've got to be kidding?

Furthermore, the findings that we have today come from the past, and this knowledge is passed on like a torch. Therefore, we are not completely independent from older (wiser) cultures as much as modern, arrogant academia likes to foolishly believe.

In fact, I believe that most people today are in a "stone age" way of thinking; except we drive BMW's. People today are not connected with nature, spiritual forces, or the rest of the universe, and because of this, there has been a decline in overall humanity. Look at us, we drop atomic bombs on entire civilizations! Nevertheless, peoples characters today are limited to workers, drunks and lackluster students.

Lastly, there is a lot of history that we just don't know about or is not being told to us. There are great city's under the oceans ( Atlantis) and great city's that were destroyed by cataclysmic events. I feel strongly that there could have been civilizations that could very well succeed or have equaled our modern technology, however; just in a different way. A cell phone is wonderful ( which is low end technology) but what if a group of people a long time ago knew how to use the magnetic powers in our solar system to move large objects or do other things?

Old 10-13-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting paradigm Franklyn. So if I understand you correctly, if our ancient civilizations used the trial and error approach then somehow that mitigates their incredible feats during the time when they used primitive tools? Franklyn, with all due respect, I haft to disagree with your conclusion.
No, I don't think that. I'm in awe of what they did and what they knew. I'm not sure, though, that what they did proves they were either superior or inferior to today's brainiacs. I just don't know the answer to that. I do think they were different in many ways.

Quote:
Do you really believe that because an individual can type a word in Google, operate a car, or talk on a "satellite" phone which allows a person to place a call from anywhere in the world that somehow makes mankind, in the 21st century, intelligent or superior to ancient civilizations? You've got to be kidding?
Again, no I don't. Very few modern's take full advantage of the resources we have available. I said that. Those that do might be intellectually comparable to folk in other ages, or not. I don't know, and I don't think many others living today really know, either. But I could be wrong.

Quote:
Furthermore, the findings that we have today come from the past, and this knowledge is passed on like a torch. Therefore, we are not completely independent from older (wiser) cultures as much as modern, arrogant academia likes to foolishly believe.
Well that's a little true, but misleading - imo. Some of what we know today are "findings from the past" but some are recent findings of the late 20th and early 21st centuries, and it's not intellectually honest to make too general a statement like this. If you had added the word "many" before "findings" we would be in agreement, but I take issue with you for excluding knowledge acquired during my lifetime. Most scientists will tell you that if what we "knew" in 1900 filled a coffee cup, then what we "know" in 2008 will fill a super-tanker. So please don't dismiss that factor so lightly.

Quote:
In fact, I believe that most people today are in a "stone age" way of thinking; except we drive BMW's. People today are not connected with nature, spiritual forces, or the rest of the universe, and because of this, there has been a decline in overall humanity. Look at us, we drop atomic bombs on entire civilizations! Nevertheless, peoples characters today are limited to workers, drunks and lackluster students.
The first part of this paragraph is your opinion, and I have no quarrel with what you think about others. When you say. "we drop atomic bombs on entire civilizations" I'm wondering how well your grasp of history has been developed? You are wildly ranting over an untruth. And in saying something so untruthful and irresponsible you weaken and ultimately trash your entire post. Think about it. We bombed two cities. The single "civilization" represented by those cities has since thrived and grown into one of the top eight in history. And we helped that process along.

I'm not certain you think this way but if you believe that war should never occur and any nation is wrong to ever go to war you might be idealistic, but you are naive and will probably ultimately lose all that you hold precious. Unless, of course, someone who doesn't think like you inadvertantly shields you from harm whilst protecting his or her own loved ones in the process. In my opinion.

Quote:
Lastly, there is a lot of history that we just don't know about or is not being told to us. There are great city's under the oceans ( Atlantis) and great city's that were destroyed by cataclysmic events. I feel strongly that there could have been civilizations that could very well succeed or have equaled our modern technology, however; just in a different way. A cell phone is wonderful ( which is low end technology) but what if a group of people a long time ago knew how to use the magnetic powers in our solar system to move large objects or do other things?
I agree somewhat with your first thoughts here. We have lost so much, and may possibly never understand certain things that were at one time well known. That is a terrible shame. We can only hope that we - living now - will not allow OUR scope of knowledge to fade away in the same way so that a future generation will one day not be forced to rediscover the wheel.

Thanks for the discourse. Cheers

Old 10-13-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The first part of this paragraph is your opinion, and I have no quarrel with what you think about others. When you say. "we drop atomic bombs on entire civilizations" I'm wondering how well your grasp of history has been developed?
Interesting discourse indeed. In regards to Japan, the true history is that America forced Japan to attack America. According to my research, TR knew the planes were coming to attack Pearl Harbor and did nothing. Consequently, because of this, TR got the people in America to rally behind him to attack Japan. What happened is very similar to 9/11. False flag operations.

Quote:
The single "civilization" represented by those cities has since thrived and grown into one of the top eight in history. And we helped that process along.
So, just because there will be "some" survivors after a bombing campaign then its ok to mass murder millions of people because ultimately over time the population will grow again? Furthermore, as of today do you know people still have birth problems and other negative consequences because of the radiation just like Chernobyl.

Lastly, yes, we sure did help the Japanese. The Emperor of Japan at the time (Hirohito) made a deal with the US Government to avoid facing war crimes. Of the top of my head, in turn for avoiding prosecution, Hirohito and the rest of his royal gangsters turned over treasure that was stolen from around the surrounding Asian community's. Japan had over 100 billion in treasure that was never returned, much of this money was used to create the Japan you see today.

"According to the Seagraves, many POWs prisoners of war and Japanese soldiers were buried alive in vaults they dug for the booty, which included gold bullion, gems and artifacts. Others died when the ships they were on were scuttled so the treasure could be hidden at sea"- Chan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le7SCVNA7Z8

Last edited by Morphous01; 10-13-2008 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
.......According to my research, TR knew the planes were coming to attack Pearl Harbor and did nothing........False flag operations.
You either have the wrong president or the wrong war, but that's not important. What is striking in what you say, however, is your lack of ability in the area of critical analysis.

I'm sorry I've mislead you and continued this conversation this long. At one time I thought you might be a rational human, not the troll you've so obviously become.

Probably be better for you to go drink more "conspiracy" kool-aid. I think the satellites might be tracking your whereabouts and reading your thoughts.

Good bye. And to give a definitive answer to this OT, it is because of too many folk who fall for the illogical spam offered up by Morphous01 and the like.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
the american culture is in demise. the light is following the baby boomers. everywhere else its dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education