Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:50 AM

64 posts, read 180,296 times

Advertisements

has anyone ever had a professor before that just DOESNT teach at all!! and i cant drop it since its to late and i need this class to graduate but im takin a class taht really interested me and he refuses to teach the class and seems to know nothin about the subject! ehhh anyone else have this happen to them before if so what did u do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 12:36 PM

224 posts, read 957,632 times
What is the class? What isn't he teaching? What does he do in class?

Old 09-20-2008, 12:41 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
Freshman World Civilization, which I took about a million years ago. Prof had been a circus performer in Europe. Unfortunately the tests were not on that. However, remember college is about many things and one of them is to read the assigned texts and take notes, which is what I did.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:27 PM

697 posts, read 2,016,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jencoo22 View Post
has anyone ever had a professor before that just DOESNT teach at all!! and i cant drop it since its to late and i need this class to graduate but im takin a class taht really interested me and he refuses to teach the class and seems to know nothin about the subject! ehhh anyone else have this happen to them before if so what did u do
Have you gone to the head of the department and asked what this prof's qualifications are and voiced your concerns?

Is your school on semesters, or terms? Stinks if you're stuck there for half the year.

I'd go to the department head. No satifaction there, go to the next one up, and so on.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,251,065 times
You need to be more specific. What do you mean he doesn't teach? Do you just not like his style of teaching or is he actually not coming to class? What are the exact concerns?
My advice is to first, go and try to talk to the prof during his office hours to see what is going on. If that doesn't work, then go and talk to the head of the department. Have you talked to other students to see what they think?

Old 09-20-2008, 04:11 PM

726 posts, read 2,269,869 times
Yeah I think it depends on what he's teaching.
There are some classes you may take that dont require lots of lecturing and explanation.

Is it just you that thinks so ? What do your classmates think about his teaching ?

Old 09-20-2008, 04:53 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,778,682 times
Its happened to me a few times. You've just got to suck it up and try to do well in the class using whatever tactics you can. Leave him a scathing review and suggest to your friends that they do the same. If you all say similar things, the department head might notice. They tend to read new professor's evaluations. If he's old and tenured, they might not.

Might, depending on whether that department cares about undergraduate education or not.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:12 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,433 times
Quote:
has anyone ever had a professor before that just DOESNT teach at all!!
Depends on what you mean. Is the professor reading straight out of the text and not teaching? Reading word for word off powerpoints? Talking about everything except the subject of the class? Is this a class where you're already expect to know what to do, but you have to actually apply it (like a science lab)? Does the professor attempt to teach but is so terrible at it that you've learned nothing at all?

In the end, unfortunately, it is your responsibility to do the readings and learn the material. I'd suggest you first approach the professor and politely voice your concerns. Do not get confrontational. If no change occurs and at least half the class feel the same way you do, then go to the dept chair.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM

64 posts, read 180,296 times
it a science class and he skips the lecture classes and just gives us a lab without explaining it or lecturing about ANY of the info he cancel our class a lot and just tells us to read without givin us assignments or anything its weird and frustratiing...u cant just skip the lecture part of the class...weird

Old 09-22-2008, 02:20 PM

550 posts, read 2,053,191 times
When i was a junior or senior in college i realized i had one requirement i still had to fill it was in Intro to Biology class a 100 level course!
I had a biology class in high school and that was it and not that much of a learning exp.

Anyway, my Bio class was taught by a Veterinarian-the class since a 100 level was a large lecture...she was awful-obviously knew her stuff but didn't know how to teach it! she automatically assumed that we all had biology background knowledge so she zoomed through anatomy and hormones etc. our exams were over 5 entire chapters at a time-i would literally study for 35 hours per exam but still only get a D or C.....i went to her and she just said "you must not be studying enough" i said i was an honors student and i've never gotten such poor grades-when she posted grades on the exterior of the lecture hall-you would see ALL the failing grades! she would tell us she doesn't get why we were all failing!
I even went to supplemental study sessions taught by grad students....they did their best and even suggested to do what we did next
a group of us went to the Ombudsman-every university has one and i am sure most colleges too......he worked with the department and i know my grade was brought up to an A............always worth goign to the ombudsman if you truly think something is amiss in the intructors teaching!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education