Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 02:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,389,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post

You are prejudiced and uneducated about homeschooling. You're views are very narrow minded, outdated and wrong and you refuse to take the time to educate yourself. Go do some research, not opinion based magazine articles, but real research that shows the statisics.
That seems to be your answer to any criticism of homeschooling.

As to your other points you cite statistics, without sourcing them, which makes them essential useless numbers, and cite alligories which I have stated previously are not reliable evidence. As to competition and over-focused children I did not say it doesn't happen in public schools I simply said there are more safeguards against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 04:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,228,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
The Social Security rules were changed during the Reagan administration. Children no longer receive survivor benefits if they're attending college...now it's only until they're 18 (or 19, if they're still in high school).
Thanks for pointing that out. My mistake. Still, he might be able to make use of it to graduate from high school -- depending on when he'll turn 19.

Old 05-16-2009, 07:36 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeYouChoke View Post
My boyfriend was homeschooled until 11th grade but he did not graduate.
Now he is trying desperately to get a job but he's not sure what he should put for schooling on applications. So far he has only written "home school" but has gotten no calls back. Any suggestions for what he should use on applications? Thanks.
I respectfully ask all posters to put aside your thoughts and opinions about homeschooling unless it specifically relates to this posters situation.

From the terms of service for this site, "Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics."

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM

15 posts, read 61,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
I know at my local CC, they have a free program to help those that don't have a degree prep for the GED and at the end they can take the GED test for free as well.

Maybe that is something the OP's bf can look into as well.
Yes, he is. Thank You.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
This thread has been hijacked and turned into yet another, home schooling vs. traditional schooling thread. It's not fair to the OP because her question wasn't about that. She wants to know what to do now that her BF is not being homeschooled anymore and has not finished/graduated. If I were the OP, I'd be pissed.

To the OP: If I were him, I would think about enrolling in high school and seeing how many credits they would give him (based on the work he did with his mom). Afterall, he's only 18. Home schooling regulations vary greatly from state to state. If your state has loose regulations, then they may not be willing to work with him. If that's the case, then he should go for his GED.
Thank you, I really could have done without all of that mess. Anyhow, he plans to get his GED but he's still hoping for some sort of job so he has income until the time to look for a better job comes along.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
Oh! As to what he should put on a job application, perhaps Degree Pending would be sufficient. For what sorts of jobs is he applying?

That makes sense.

So far he's applied for everything from retail to deliveries, etc., etc.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
That stinks IMHO he must get his GED and then at least a two year degree. The job market is tough enough with a bachelors...I can't imagine finding a job without a HS diploma.

I hate to say this, but go ahead and lie on the application. Have him put high school graduate and list a high school. Employers do not verify high school transcripts...only college. Do what you have to do to get the job!

I wish you guys all the best!!
Thank you. We'll try this.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:30 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,982,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez181 View Post
Yes, all of us sketchy and subpar homeschoolers, winning spelling and geography bees, being recruited to Ivy League universities, and excelling at the standardized tests that the public schools drill for for months on end....

You missed the part where I said that I have seen parents do a great job, was not generalizing just speaking from experience. Kudos to parents, such as yourself, that are successful with homeschooling that is great, but not always the case.
Neither is the case that kids who go to public or private schools are successful.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:32 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,982,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wow009 View Post
Thank you. We'll try this.

NO, don't lie, that is just wrong. What happens if they find out he lied and he gets fired? That will make his situation even worse. He needs to get his GED and then get some college courses under his belt.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:07 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,044,034 times
If he is only 18, he might contact the local public school district and tell them what happened to him and see what programs he is eligible for. He might be surprised! If the K-12 public school district isn't any help, tell him to go to the local community college. If his mother died and his father is... negligent to say the least... he might qualify for a few different types of financial aid that would help him out. Check out the local public school district first, then have him go to the financial aid office at the local community college.

If he truly wants to do something with his life, those would be the first two steps he should take. It's really up to him at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education