Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I have met friends who were educated under the British system (in the Caribbean) and they are some of the most intelligent people I have met in life (and I have known lots of smart people having attended a specialized HS in NYC and a Seven Sister college).

Many were poor but they still had access to a quality educational system. They read and write well, do math & science, use logic, know about arts & literature, and many speak two languages. Most of all, their core knowledge prepared them for higher education and work.

In many ways it seems that the British system has high standards but "keeps it simple," and people learn. Students learn a set core of subjects and other practical courses that prepare them for further academic studies. Their competency is based on a exam at the completion of their studies.

Core Subjects
English
Math
Science
Other Subjects
Languages
Technology
Humanities
Arts

Those who aren't prepared for further academic studies have state-run vocational programs and don't have to pay high fees to a private school to learn a trade.

To me this is simple and makes sense. Am I missing something? Why can't we take this approach in the US?
I think a lot of it has to do with U.S. culture. This is a culture that places a lot of value on money rather than intellect. Just look at the people who are presented as successful, and who are therefore role models for children: actors and models. Why? Because U.S. culture and its public schools produce consumers, not thinkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 07:23 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,236,654 times
Quote:
What happens to the kids who fail the core requirements? Are there vo-tech options?
I don't know if it is the same in the British schools in the Caribbean, but in the schools my cousins attend in the UK, there is no failing a grade. The students who perform poorly are grouped together and moved along until time for their exams. If they don't pass their exams, they may leave school at age 16 or begin a vocational program.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:25 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
What happens to the kids who fail the core requirements? Are there vo-tech options?
If they fail because of truancy or behavior issues, they drop out or go to alternative (continuation) school. If they fail because they just can't handle it academically, they are put in watered-down classes so they can still get the credits.

Some districts in some states offer vocational tracks. However, because the United States has more of a service economy than a goods economy, and because many construction and similar jobs are done by immigrants, there aren't many jobs for those young people.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:49 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
At our high school there are 3 levels of classes kids can take, general, honors and AP. The honors and AP kids generally are your college bound kids (4 year college) and the kids that take the general track typically enter the military or go to community colleges/vo-tech. About 95% of our school goes on to a 4 year school and about 3% go vo-tech/community college or military. Our high school offers various shop classes as well (auto, wood, metal, CAD, etc.) so there are options.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:24 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Simply put, in this country, the teachers suck. The administration sucks. The education system as a whole is complete garbage. Couple that with half-hearted(or less) teachers trying to instruct students who don't care... and boom we have retards running around everywhere.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:13 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Simply put, in this country, the teachers suck. The administration sucks. The education system as a whole is complete garbage. Couple that with half-hearted(or less) teachers trying to instruct students who don't care... and boom we have retards running around everywhere.
Waow.
All I can think of is that if it had been me saying this (immigrant of Eastern European descent with a history of "friction" on boards, when pointing to certain holes in the American society fabric), I would have been cyber-mauled to death.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:18 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,442,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
At our high school there are 3 levels of classes kids can take, general, honors and AP. The honors and AP kids generally are your college bound kids (4 year college) and the kids that take the general track typically enter the military or go to community colleges/vo-tech. About 95% of our school goes on to a 4 year school and about 3% go vo-tech/community college or military. Our high school offers various shop classes as well (auto, wood, metal, CAD, etc.) so there are options.
Kindly pardon my ignorance on such a basic topic (related to my not having been born and raised in this country) - but how do these tiers actually work? I never really understood. Are kids assigned/placed into these tracks by some kind of school authority making evaluations, or can children OPT for these tracks as they please?

I have been meaning to get more thoroughly educated on the details of the American K-12 education system for a long time, but never got around to it.

Ironically enough, I work in education myself, but it's higher education.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:22 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
Kindly pardon my ignorance on such a basic topic (related to my not having been born and raised in this country) - but how do these tiers actually work? I never really understood. Are kids assigned/placed into these tracks by some kind of school authority making evaluations, or can children OPT for these tracks as they please?

I have been meaning to get more thoroughly educated on the details of the American K-12 education system for a long time, but never got around to it.

Ironically enough, I work in education myself, but it's higher education.
In my highschool it was a combination of teachers deciding you belonged there (For example, I got kicked out of a writing class into an AP writing class after our first writing assignment), but some classes can be taken at will.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:25 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,314 times
Depends on the school- my high school let anyone opt into the IB program, but most kids would self select out pretty quickly, leaving only the kids who were serious about their education. In the elementary schools in our city, you have to get tested by the district office for your eligibility for the gifted program. It depends on the school policy.

In my experience, there are lots of great schools in the US, but there are also lots of bad ones. Given that any Caribbean nation is the size of one of our states and that many areas are very poor and children don't have the luxury of going to school, it's not really fair to say that their system is better. When you deal with a country as big and diverse as the US, you just can't generalize. Now, if you were to compare, say, Kansas to the British Virgin Islands, that's one thing. If you compare New Hampshire's educational system to Haiti, you'll be singing a completely different tune. It's not a valid comparison.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:43 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
Depends on the school- my high school let anyone opt into the IB program, but most kids would self select out pretty quickly, leaving only the kids who were serious about their education. In the elementary schools in our city, you have to get tested by the district office for your eligibility for the gifted program. It depends on the school policy.

In my experience, there are lots of great schools in the US, but there are also lots of bad ones. Given that any Caribbean nation is the size of one of our states and that many areas are very poor and children don't have the luxury of going to school, it's not really fair to say that their system is better. When you deal with a country as big and diverse as the US, you just can't generalize. Now, if you were to compare, say, Kansas to the British Virgin Islands, that's one thing. If you compare New Hampshire's educational system to Haiti, you'll be singing a completely different tune. It's not a valid comparison.
Suppose we were to compare the US to ALL countries that operate under the British method. There are several. I think that would be a fair comparison.

Hoping to hear from someone who was educated in this method so we can have an open discussion.

Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education