Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times

Advertisements

Dang! Did this make news in El Paso over the weekend, or Monday? This hard to comprehend. If all the criminals, and killings are happening in Juarez, where are the orders coming from? Would it be possible that these drug lords are basking in El Paso's safety and running their network from there? Where are these guys that the military and police in Juarez cannot get to them? Something is not right here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 10:09 AM

2,619 posts, read 6,138,149 times
Yep. It was on the local news and in the newspaper. As far as running their network from El Paso, while anything is technically possible, it appears more like their roots are deeper in Mexico than in the United States.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It did make the news - just a littel blurp - that kind of thing wouldn't be news anymore.

What's weird is that it first made news as a day without killings - and that really did seem like news - but they were quite wrong.

Se registra en Juárez un día sin asesinatos. | Diario.com.mx

Después de ese evento y durante las siguientes 26 horas, al cierre de la edición de ayer no se había reportado ningún incidente en el que se registrara la muerte de alguna persona.

But the good news didn't last:

Matan a 47 elfin de semana. | Diario.com.mx

El fin de semana que acaba de pasar empató el récord de más sangriento del año al registrarse entre el viernes y el domingo 47 asesinatos.

Aclaración: El Diario publicó ayer que el sábado no se registraron asesinatos, cuando en realidad hubo seis muertos por la noche de ese día, de los cuales las autoridades correspondientes dieron cuenta hasta ayer por la mañana a través de los protocolos de información

Old 08-22-2010, 12:58 AM

I guess we'll keep telling ourselves that it's still perfectly safe here - in spite of Paisano being shut down and bullets hitting cars here from today's shoot out.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:40 AM

What is the alternative?

Old 08-22-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I guess we'll keep telling ourselves that it's still perfectly safe here - in spite of Paisano being shut down and bullets hitting cars here from today's shoot out.
What should we be doing instead? There is a wide berth between touting how incredibly safe El Paso is and acting like Chicken Little because of what happened in Juarez yesterday. Should what happened yesterday in Juarez affect the way we live in El Paso? Maybe, maybe not. I was doing business in that exact area one day before. That was a little too close for comfort. Does what happened yesterday affect the 99.5 of the areas of El Paso? Probably not. Bullets don't discriminate. Bullets don't read the headlines or adhere to police statistics. Bullets also don't travel from Juarez to 99.5% of El Paso. Being on Paisano that close to the border does carry an inherit risk I suppose. I guess those that like to tout the negative now have an additional story to link to and talk about for the next three years.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:15 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
What should we be doing instead? There is a wide berth between touting how incredibly safe El Paso is and acting like Chicken Little because of what happened in Juarez yesterday. Should what happened yesterday in Juarez affect the way we live in El Paso? Maybe, maybe not. I was doing business in that exact area one day before. That was a little too close for comfort. Does what happened yesterday affect the 99.5 of the areas of El Paso? Probably not. Bullets don't discriminate. Bullets don't read the headlines or adhere to police statistics. Bullets also don't travel from Juarez to 99.5% of El Paso. Being on Paisano that close to the border does carry an inherit risk I suppose. I guess those that like to tout the negative now have an additional story to link to and talk about for the next three years.
I agree. I am sick and tired of all my co-workers, friends, etc. in Houston always asking me why I go visit EP if it's so dangerous out there. I tell them I feel safer in EP then Houston.

The stories below happened just over the weekend (and these are not even all of them), now does that mean that I walk in fear everywhere I go? Not at all. But just goes to show you that the news have a tendency to make you think that.

Police: 2 shot, 1 injured in home invasion | khou.com | Khou.com - News, Houston news, Texas News, Headlines

Police search for suspect in northwest Houston shooting | khou.com | Khou.com - News, Houston news, Texas News, Headlines

3 Men Rob West Houston Bank - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/24703882/detail.html - broken link)

Teenager Becomes Home Invasion Victim - Houston News Story - KPRC Houston (http://www.click2houston.com/news/24691721/detail.html - broken link)

Old 08-22-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistabinks View Post
What is the alternative?
For our city politicians to acknowledge the truth now and before innocent Americans are killed in this.

No one was hurt yesterday - probably partly thanks to the train they decided to park to block the bullets. But - a whole lot of people use Paisano, even drive with their kids in the car with them - all it's going to do is take one stray bullet hitting one young child and - well will that be what it takes to get the politicians to stop whistling past the graveyard?

I know it's all about real estate money, housing developers - we don't want to have stories out there about events that could scare someone off - but the first newcomers hit by bullets and word could leak out. For now they're so thrilled over some of the big money types moving over from Juarez - buying up and building the big luxury homes, reopening their burned out restaurants and bars over here to compete with local business owners, maybe put them out of business.

Even some of those homeless people they evacuated could decide to head on out of town and start talking about their experience.

The alternative should not to be continue to do nothing and keep pretending none of this could ever affect us over here.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:20 PM

And no - I still don't have iron bars on my windows and doors, I feel no need to lock my doors or windows at night - but it's not completely safe like everyone likes to insist. At least not every part of town is completely safe.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:04 PM

I actually agree with both of your posts. I don't have the same focus on the iron bars but I agree with everything else. The city definitely needs to be proactive. Hopefully nothing ever happens regardless but the city should be prepared either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso