Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 07:30 AM

103 posts, read 464,213 times

Advertisements

I'll be in El Paso next month and was looking for a good hotel near a decent bar / restaurant scene.

I stayed at the Doubletree downtown two years ago and while the hotel was nice, the scene was dead.

I'm thinking of the Hilton Garden Inn near UTEP. Does anyone know anything about this hotel or have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM

730 posts, read 1,896,004 times
The hotel is pretty nice and is very close to the Cincinnati dining/bar district. The hotel itself does have a bar, but it's not a "hotspot" unlike a little further down the street.

Though I understand the Union Plaza district of downtown is picking up in popularity, near the Doubletree.

Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,670 times
Hilton Garden Inn will put you pretty close to the Cincinnati clubbing area.

If you don't mind walking you can stay at the Doubletree. When I say walking I mean a couple blocks. It is near the downtown club scene and is a bit different than the Cincinnati crowd. On the norm, Cinci is for Fridays and downtown is for Saturdays.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM

103 posts, read 464,213 times
Thanks. My friend who lives in CJ confirmed the Hilton is probably the best one as well.

I'm looking for stumbling distance. Preferably near KARAOKE!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:01 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
Hilton Garden Inn will put you pretty close to the Cincinnati clubbing area.

If you don't mind walking you can stay at the Doubletree. When I say walking I mean a couple blocks. It is near the downtown club scene and is a bit different than the Cincinnati crowd. On the norm, Cinci is for Fridays and downtown is for Saturdays.
I used to hang out in cinci st. back in da day (97-01), but I went there last year and it was so GHETTO I could not believe my eyes. It was like Ft. Bliss took over the scene there. Sad really, it used to be such a cool place to hang for the college crowd.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,670 times
It still is a cool place to hang out. We welcome the Ft. Bliss soldiers since they are part of our community. They do have options on base, but choose to spend their money and time outside of the base and I am all for that. Anything to have them assimilate back into society!

Old 10-08-2012, 05:13 PM

21 posts, read 57,302 times
v_astro,

Just go bar hopping Mr. V_astro. The great thing about El Paso's nightlife is that 99% of the bars in El Paso are free! Unlike, most "happening" cities throughout the U.S. you can enjoy most venues without any cover.

We obviously do not know what your crowd preference is like, but you can simply peek into most bars on Cinci and decide whether or not the place catches your interest (without spending $1).

And Yes! The Hilton Garden by UTEP is stumbling distance (did it myself). Just be careful walking across Mesa Street.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:50 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCCW View Post
It still is a cool place to hang out. We welcome the Ft. Bliss soldiers since they are part of our community. They do have options on base, but choose to spend their money and time outside of the base and I am all for that. Anything to have them assimilate back into society!
I heard there were a couple of shootings in that area last year. In 4 years at UTEP there were the occasional bar brawl but that's were it ended, nobody got shot. I don't mean to say all Ft. Bliss is this way, just a certain profile.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:32 PM

27 posts, read 88,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
I heard there were a couple of shootings in that area last year. In 4 years at UTEP there were the occasional bar brawl but that's were it ended, nobody got shot. I don't mean to say all Ft. Bliss is this way, just a certain profile.
Right, violence in bars is much more likely to occur from a Soldier than cartel spillage or your everyday American Joe. I'm reading in the papers about hit and runs, murder, drug busts and eveything in between occuring weekly in this city, and you argue that the 20k Soldiers only about 40% of which are even in the dbar hopping demographics, are the source of problems in a city of 800k with no mention of the 2.5 million 2 miles South in one of the most violent cities in the world.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
The military is a microcosm of society. Most of those guys are mellow dudes, it's the vocal and annoying minority that you see getting drunk and shooting each, splattering into guardrails on their bikes, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso