Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 PM

11 posts, read 34,369 times

Advertisements

I apologize for that truly horrific pun, but...

Albuquerque has it's stacked enchiladas, Austin it's migas, San Francisco it's gross rice-filled burritos. What is El Chuco's signature Mexican culinary concoction? Please, don't say Chico's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 PM

575 posts, read 884,788 times
don't know that EP has a "signature" dish (except for you-know-what). I'm laughing at San Francisco's "gross rice-filled burritos" though -- what are those?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,495,102 times
El Paso doesn't do "gimmicky", we do authentic.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
There used to be that place on Doniphan (Griggs) that had stacked enchiladas with an egg on top because it served New Mexican food. I don't know if there is New Mexico style food anywhere now.

I do think Chicos swimming tacos really is our signature dish because people who are really from El Paso like it more than anything. Chicos is what it is --- but what it is is distinctly El Paso at least when El Paso is called "El Chuco". Chicos doesn't pretend to be Mexican food from real Mexico, it is just El Paso Mexican food. Now I feel like having some.

To be a signature dish, something can't be from one of the brand new Mexican restaurants that just moved over from Juarez, and it can't be a chain, and it would have to offer something a bit unique but also popular and popular for a long long time. That leaves Chicos tacos.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There used to be that place on Doniphan (Griggs) that had stacked enchiladas with an egg on top...
When it was in business, both my dad and I loved to eat the flat baked enchiladas with two over-easy fried eggs on top as served at the La Hacienda restaurant, located on the Rio Grande just across from the old Hart's Mill near the intersection of W. Yandell and W. Paisano.

Aside from that, I'd vote for the fluffy sopapillas that were once the "dessert" served as part of each meal at all of the old Leo's Restaurants in El Paso as being the most unique.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 PM

575 posts, read 884,788 times
they still serve 'em at Leos. And Avilas.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,167,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet West View Post
they still serve 'em at Leos. And Avilas.
There's no shortage of restaurants serving sopapillas, but the ones that the former Leo's chain made were the lightest and crispiest and best when fresh from the frier. Other restaurants tend to serve them made more like pita bread - heavy chewy crust - plus they sometimes sprinkle them with cinnamon and powdered sugar. I don't recall Leo's ever doing the latter.

Another problem today is restaurants not serving pure honey, but rather honey cut with sugary syrups.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:55 PM

643 posts, read 1,313,819 times
Gorditas?

Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,443,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
There used to be that place on Doniphan (Griggs) that had stacked enchiladas with an egg on top because it served New Mexican food. I don't know if there is New Mexico style food anywhere now.

I do think Chicos swimming tacos really is our signature dish because people who are really from El Paso like it more than anything. Chicos is what it is --- but what it is is distinctly El Paso at least when El Paso is called "El Chuco". Chicos doesn't pretend to be Mexican food from real Mexico, it is just El Paso Mexican food. Now I feel like having some.

To be a signature dish, something can't be from one of the brand new Mexican restaurants that just moved over from Juarez, and it can't be a chain, and it would have to offer something a bit unique but also popular and popular for a long long time. That leaves Chicos tacos.
I just remembered some fond memories of going out to eat with my dad at that place. I was about 8 or 9 and it was the only place I would even try the salsa because it was nice and mild compared to other places around town. Ahhh, where did the time go...

Old 09-11-2013, 09:14 PM

524 posts, read 1,370,397 times
I have been all over the country and 3 foreign countries..beside Mexico..and I can tell you that the best Mexican food DOES come from ELP..and I am NOT just saying that because I am Native..but it is the da-- truth!..ANd I DO NOT really crave Chicos..because I grew up behind it..and smelled it every day..!..What I really luv about MExican food in ELP..is the hot sauce..everywhere it is bland..or just plain old tomato sauce..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
View detailed profiles of: