Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 04:47 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,023 times

Advertisements

I think its wrong for people to copy ideas from other people then try to make big time bank out of it as did Chucos Tacos, I dont like when companys carry El Paso's name and they dont even operate out of El Paso and even worst they are not even affiliated or have any presence in El Paso at all, wether it's El Paso Corporation or Chuco's Tacos, change your names but stop using the name El Paso, thats like identity theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2008, 06:40 PM

19 posts, read 58,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
I think its wrong for people to copy ideas from other people then try to make big time bank out of it as did Chucos Tacos, I dont like when companys carry El Paso's name and they dont even operate out of El Paso and even worst they are not even affiliated or have any presence in El Paso at all, wether it's El Paso Corporation or Chuco's Tacos, change your names but stop using the name El Paso, thats like identity theft.
You sir, should really do some research before posting such an accusatory comment. And I don't mean using google as a source.

http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cpa.app.coa.CoaGetTp?Pg=tpid&Search_Nm=chucos%20ma nagement%20group%20&Button=search&Search_ID=320333 66009 (broken link)

http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cpa.app.coa.CoaOfficer (broken link)

Old 06-15-2008, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Do you city data[ers] think we had somehting to do with that lawsuit, who knows?
No we didn't. The lawsuit was filed on the date this topic started.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
For El Paso expats, Chuco's hits spot (broken link)

Some great pictures of the place here.

Here is the lawsuit filed..

Chico's Tacos, Inc. v. Chucos Management Group, LLC - 3:2007cv00429 - Justia Federal District Court Filings and Dockets

A better explanation of why they sued..

Texas Lawyer Blog: Taco trademark tussle

I was looking at some pictures of Chuco's in Austin, and it sure looks like a nice place.. and the area its in looks green and homey. I dont care for thieves, and I view Chuco's as a Thief.. but at the same time.. it seems the ownership is trying to clean up its act and make several differences to separate it from its roots, and be its own thing. I remember when it claimed to be Chico's only better.. and now they claim they are nothing like chicos. Funny what a small lawsuit will do.
Please be kind and provide info where they claimed to be Chico's, only better.

Old 06-15-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
I agree, they stold Chicos Taco's format "copy cats" obviously being slick by opening their eatery in Austin and perfecting their menu and calling it Chucos, hmm' considering that alot of Austonians make fun of El Paso and now they are giving this place their full undivided attention by supporting 10 Street (whatever) in droves since after it changed it's name from Chuco's.

Yet I bet these former El Pasoans are going to make it to the stars and become multi millionairs without doubt and more power to them, I myself perfected the taco bell taco without ever any intentions of making a profit out of it, and I'll tell you the people that have tried them love them.
When you refer to Austinites incorrectly as Austonians, is it really a surprise they make fun of El Pasoans like yourself?

Old 06-15-2008, 08:23 PM

639 posts, read 1,044,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermilo View Post
You sir, should really do some research before posting such an accusatory comment. And I don't mean using google as a source.

http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cpa.app.coa.CoaGetTp?Pg=tpid&Search_Nm=chucos%20ma nagement%20group%20&Button=search&Search_ID=320333 66009 (broken link)

http://ecpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cpa.app.coa.CoaOfficer (broken link)
I'm not accusing anyone, besides they were already called thiefs by someone else I relate to the fact that these individuals did'nt hatch that idea of going into the restaurant business without getting any ideas from some where else as most obvious, the dishes look like Chico's Tacos, only served in a different city, they should have done that somewhere maybe say like Hawaii, where the demand is high for Meixcan food and far far away from El Paso, they might have gotten away with it.

I dont need any lousy links, I'm very familiar with the whole concept and how it works, it looks like theivery to me.

Old 06-15-2008, 08:41 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intermilo View Post
Please be kind and provide info where they claimed to be Chico's, only better.
On his Myspace site, and his Chucos web site.. the guy got smart and took thats stuff down, or was told to do so by his lawyer or by the law suite.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:23 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
On his Myspace site, and his Chucos web site.. the guy got smart and took thats stuff down, or was told to do so by his lawyer or by the law suite.
I'm sure it was a cease and desist order.

Guys/Gals, be honest with yourselves, it was a rip off plain and simple. Everyone knows it, don't make excuses.

Two guys from El Paso, do you think they ever ate at Chicos?

Now, to play the Devil's Advocate, Chicos/Mora family *DID NOT* invent tacos ahogados. As someone else already pointed out, that would be like McDonalds suing Burger King for making a hamburger.

The main points of the lawsuit had nothing to do with the food, the Mora family knows it would lose that one, but it was with the name. Chucos/Chicos, the matter of one vowel.

I think the Mora family had an irrefutable case, that is why they prevailed just as Burger King would lose a case if it originally called itself McDonelds.

Regards.

PS. I ate there, had the tacos. Chico's has nothing to worry about in regards to the food!

Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
I'm not accusing anyone, besides they were already called thiefs by someone else I relate to the fact that these individuals did'nt hatch that idea of going into the restaurant business without getting any ideas from some where else as most obvious, the dishes look like Chico's Tacos, only served in a different city, they should have done that somewhere maybe say like Hawaii, where the demand is high for Meixcan food and far far away from El Paso, they might have gotten away with it.

I dont need any lousy links, I'm very familiar with the whole concept and how it works, it looks like theivery to me.
You do need the lousy links because you said you don't like it when a company carries El Paso's name and don't operate out of El Paso and I clearly showed that the company is based out of El Paso on Airway. If you live in El Paso, then walk in tomorrow to that address on Airway and you will have an opportunity to speak with one of the owners of 10th Street Tacos. Then let them know all that you have opined on this forum and come back and report on how your meeting went. With all due respect unless you have dined at 10th Street Tacos and have been able to compare the two side by side, you really have no room to voice an opinion as to how 10th Street stole anything from Chico's. I have and that is why I don't feel like you do.

Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,956,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I'm sure it was a cease and desist order.

Guys/Gals, be honest with yourselves, it was a rip off plain and simple. Everyone knows it, don't make excuses.

Two guys from El Paso, do you think they ever ate at Chicos?

Now, to play the Devil's Advocate, Chicos/Mora family *DID NOT* invent tacos ahogados. As someone else already pointed out, that would be like McDonalds suing Burger King for making a hamburger.

The main points of the lawsuit had nothing to do with the food, the Mora family knows it would lose that one, but it was with the name. Chucos/Chicos, the matter of one vowel.

I think the Mora family had an irrefutable case, that is why they prevailed just as Burger King would lose a case if it originally called itself McDonelds.

Regards.

PS. I ate there, had the tacos. Chico's has nothing to worry about in regards to the food!
Well the name and the logo were very similar. And the concept behind the place was a direct rip off of Chico's..

There is a difference between McDonalds and Burger King.. now if I open a place called McDowells ( like in that movie with Eddie Murphy ) and did what they did it would be the same as the case before us now with Chico's and Chucos. Also the owner claimed he was like Chicos and mentioned the place on his web site and myspace page.. removed now, but I am trying to find a website the documents old websites and see if I can pull it up to prove my claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso