Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 AM

106 posts, read 302,308 times

Advertisements

Hello!

This is my first post to this board. I'm Cade and I currently live in Rio Rancho (next to Albuquerque). My man and I are originally from California and have figured out that ABQ is too cold for us. It's our 2nd winter here. We're considering moving to Las Cruces NM to be closer to family.

My husband is a truck driver (local - home every day) and we are wondering if any of you know about how in demand truck drivers are there for local work. We've heard on occasion that the pay for them is very low there, but that's just hearsay so far and I'd like to hear what you have to say about that. I know he will likely have to commute from Cruces to El Paso to work b/c Cruces is not very big.

He's been driving for 11 years with a great driving record. What are the chances he could get a job paying around 35-40k a year there? (That's what he makes now)

Apologies if this question has been asked before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,271,663 times
Default In this case, hearsay is truthful...

Cade, 'sorry to take the wind out of your sails, but the chances of you faring better in El Paso than where you are at now are slim. The closer you get to the border, the more competition there is for jobs, and since there is an influx of illegal immigration, employers can sometimes get away with paying next to nothing.

This is really bad as it does devaluate decent paying jobs, but simple math tells you that if a job pays $20.00 per hour, and you have someone willing to do it for less than half, let's say $7.00 per hour, then you can see what will happen.

For the record, I don't live in El Paso, but was born and raised there and still have most of my family there.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:15 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,954,930 times
There is a great local company I would recommend to any one here in EL Paso.

Mesilla Valley Transportation

SWIFT, DANNY HERMAN and a few other large companies have drop yards and offices here. Danny Herman is also local, and pay rather well.

Danny Herman Trucking, Inc. (http://www.dannyherman.com/drivers_lp.htm - broken link)

Here is another local long distance runner..

Welcome to SMT Lines

Stage Coach is also out of here, and they pay ok.. not the best. But most of the stuff they do is short haul.

!! Transportation, trucking, Stagecoach Cartage & Distribution, Inc. !!

Good luck and welcome to the area. I would really give Messilla Vally a try, great people there.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 AM

271 posts, read 809,856 times
Cade
I would be careful and really check out the companies Muhnay has recommended. I won't say any are bad but I'd talk to some of their drivers before committing to anything. Your man will need to drive OTR to make the money you need as local home every night jobs are rare and usually don't pay well. Just do your research and as I said try to talk to some drivers. There are driving jobs here, just might not be what you're looking for.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 AM

I totally over looked Local in their post. As for Local.. not gonna happen. The best he may do is StageCoach, and thats short haul day out day back kinda stuff.. MVT also has short haul stuff, that stays mainly in Texas.. and Swift has a run between El Paso and Phoenix and Larado. Home Nightly is very rare. Sorry. I just scanned the post and did not really read it.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 AM

106 posts, read 302,308 times
Hey, don't apologize. We haven't moved there yet, and we have a choice, which is why I came in to ask the question, and you are all sweet to post links to companies and take the time to tell me what you know or have heard. I really appreciate it We apparently have a lot of thinking to do, and, maybe we'll head back to Cali where we came from, back to the sun and warmer weather, and despite hideous traffic, there are more jobs there, even in this economy.

We'll see where we end up, and I may still pop in here from time to time to see what goes on in EP just in case we come there

Old 01-03-2009, 01:30 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
Several of my co-workers drive trucks part time. Strictly going by what they say, there is more work than drivers right now in El Paso. Truck driving is far too regulated so illegals is not always an issue. The pay is definitely fair as there is more work than workers. I'll try and find out the name of the two companies he works for. I know they are off of 1-10 on the far east side.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Mista are the local.. and make sure to find out how many years of OTR EXP. they want. And a pay scale too.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM

2,619 posts, read 6,137,412 times
I am not very familiar with the industry. I do know my coworkers pick up a truck here and drive all across the country.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:41 PM

271 posts, read 809,856 times
I have a CDL and my boys own a trucking company here in El Paso so my warning in the earlier post should be considered before moving here. Loads out of El Paso don't pay very well so even though there are a lot of jobs for truckers here you will need to stay out to make any money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso